Death.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: Death.
(08-03-2014 02:24 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Actually, in fifty so years is most likely when humans discover immortality.

I'm already insane, so immortality wouldn't drive me insane.

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
08-03-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 06:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-03-2014 05:37 PM)Floresjose Wrote:  I stopped believing in a god awhile back, an I just can't stop thinking about death. I just can't handle that when I die I just stop existing. I just can't handle that. I lose sleep, I'm becoming terrified of death. It's all I think about. The thought that i won't exist for an eternity jus scares me. I was just posting because maybe someone has a different perspective on the matter. I just don't know what to do. If someone has any positive reinforcement to help clarify this I would really appreciate it.
I got one job. To not be terrified but rather to appreciate the release. ... Easy peasy. Easy as pie. ... one job motherfucker. ..,. easy as pie. ... Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
08-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I worry more about how my death might affect others, like my children and husband. And most of those worries I can do something about. Like pre planning arrangements, savings accounts, take care of myself, leave medical instructions, appoint guardians if needed.

Those are the things that worry me, not what happens to me. I have witnessed death many times (I used to work in long term healthcare and EMS), its usually not a dramatic event. The worst ones are the ones where people are hooked up to every machine and the family is trying to fight the enevitable.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
08-03-2014, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 07:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-03-2014 04:11 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I worry more about how my death might affect others, like my children and husband. And most of those worries I can do something about. Like pre planning arrangements, savings accounts, take care of myself, leave medical instructions, appoint guardians if needed.

Those are the things that worry me, not what happens to me. I have witnessed death many times (I used to work in long term healthcare and EMS), its usually not a dramatic event. The worst ones are the ones where people are hooked up to every machine and the family is trying to fight the enevitable.

Girlys got a million dollar life insurance policy for just such an occasion. Thumbsup

My momma told me there'd be days like this.

And no one steps on my dreams, bitches.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
08-03-2014, 10:32 PM
(07-03-2014 05:37 PM)Floresjose Wrote:  I stopped believing in a god awhile back, an I just can't stop thinking about death. I just can't handle that when I die I just stop existing. I just can't handle that. I lose sleep, I'm becoming terrified of death. It's all I think about. The thought that i won't exist for an eternity jus scares me. I was just posting because maybe someone has a different perspective on the matter. I just don't know what to do. If someone has any positive reinforcement to help clarify this I would really appreciate it.

I think it is normal to be scared of dying but if you are having these persistent thoughts about death, to the extent that you are losing sleep, there could be another explanation. You might want to consult a doctor about these fears. It could be OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder. I suffer from this and I know how you can lose sleep over these feelings. It isn't bad now but when I was younger it was quite bad. There may be a medical explanation and a treatment that will help. I urge you, sincerely, to talk to your doctor about it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.
08-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I do have OCD about some things. I have to wash my hands frequently or i get bothered but I do also suffer from depression and anxiety so that may play a role with my fixation on the topic. Even when I was a Christian I ha a fixation on death but not at this degree. I really do appreciate all the inputs and the more I put it into perspective I really don't worry about it to much but it may take a little bit for me to completely stop worrying about it. I look at myself as a conscious part of this universe understanding trying to figure itself out and when I die I become part of the cosmos again. The more I think of it like that the less scary and menacing it sounds. But for the record I do see a therapist it's just I'm afraid to talk about in fear of being admitted into a psyche ward. The topic is a slippery slope
08-03-2014, 11:25 PM
(08-03-2014 10:49 PM)Floresjose Wrote:  I do have OCD about some things. I have to wash my hands frequently or i get bothered but I do also suffer from depression and anxiety so that may play a role with my fixation on the topic. Even when I was a Christian I ha a fixation on death but not at this degree. I really do appreciate all the inputs and the more I put it into perspective I really don't worry about it to much but it may take a little bit for me to completely stop worrying about it. I look at myself as a conscious part of this universe understanding trying to figure itself out and when I die I become part of the cosmos again. The more I think of it like that the less scary and menacing it sounds. But for the record I do see a therapist it's just I'm afraid to talk about in fear of being admitted into a psyche ward. The topic is a slippery slope

OK. Washing your hands often is a classic symptom of OCD. Your not crazy. They won't lock you away. There are many medications that can help with minimal side effects. Often there are other conditions such as depression or anxiety disorders that are comorbid with OCD. I know what it feels like to have these persistent feelings and I also know that medication can help. Don't suffer any more. Start with your regular family doctor and he or she can refer you to someone who specializes. Don't hesitate. You could feel better very soon and hopefully get some sleep. I feel for you and wish you all the best.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.
08-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Google 2 things, they might provide some comfort to you .

Why you want a Physicist at your funeral

And green burial cemeteries.

With those two things, you get a different perspective about forever. Hug

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
09-03-2014, 12:02 AM

No one knows exactly what will occur once we die. I once believed in an after-life but no longer do. The idea of heaven never comforted me, really. But, how I view it now is you will not have knowledge of your physical state, once you die. No suffering. No cognition. Actually, it is the most free you will ever be! So, perhaps view it like that, as a perpetual state of unawareness.

I'm sorry you struggle with this concept, though.

Every silver lining, has a cloud. Drinking Beverage
09-03-2014, 12:07 AM
When you're dead, you won't be alive to know that you're dead.

There is no reason to fear that which you will never consciously experience. You, as you are, will NEVER know death. It's not gonna happen until you're not around to know about it. This - life and existence - is all you will ever know. Ever.

Relish it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it weird that I've never mourned a death? germanyt 44 4,108 24-07-2013 10:35 PM
Last Post: TheCynicalOptimist
Rainbow Cure for death? AshleyApathy 75 9,797 23-07-2013 04:35 PM
Last Post: Zerq The mad
  On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists Zatamon 48 3,512 27-04-2013 11:10 PM
Last Post: childeye
  On Death and Dying Zat 10 545 06-02-2013 09:22 AM
Last Post: Seppela
  How to deal with death? WeAreOne 23 1,186 25-10-2012 01:51 PM
Last Post: WeAreOne
  Death anf Non-Self. Mr Woof 11 993 11-06-2012 11:59 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  Death and dying. bemore 25 2,132 21-11-2011 01:58 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor