Death.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Death.
I don't think death is anything to be afraid of, having been close to it. It's the trauma and physical pain after resuscitation and in physical therapy that was hard to get through.

The actual moment I would have died after a severe car accident was a warm, fuzzy peaceful neurochemical calm, not unlike going to sleep after a few glasses of wine and a good meal.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
09-03-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Death.
(09-03-2014 03:56 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I was dead for 13.7 billion years before I was born and it didn't hurt me at all.

Beginning of the universe is the starting point for non existence?
09-03-2014, 05:09 PM
(09-03-2014 05:01 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 03:56 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I was dead for 13.7 billion years before I was born and it didn't hurt me at all.

Beginning of the universe is the starting point for non existence?

Well, all atoms and energy that we know of weren't around up till that point. Matter didn't even exist until things cooled down after the big bang, so... technically, yes.

However, who knows if there was something else prior, or if there is a multiverse, or if there's something beyond the stuff we know of beyond atoms, perhaps there is something deeper than things at the quantum level etc... we only know so much Tongue

(If you define non-existence as "I haven't yet materialized but my atoms are floating around")

If we're all made of the same atoms and energy the rest of the universe is comprised of, then we too are parts of the universe. This leads us to the entertainment which is debate. The best part is where the universe, having come into consciousness, cannot agree on how it came to be in the first place. Laughat
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
(09-03-2014 05:09 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 05:01 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Beginning of the universe is the starting point for non existence?

Well, all atoms and energy that we know of weren't around up till that point. Matter didn't even exist until things cooled down after the big bang, so... technically, yes.

However, who knows if there was something else prior, or if there is a multiverse, or if there's something beyond the stuff we know of beyond atoms, perhaps there is something deeper than things at the quantum level etc... we only know so much Tongue

(If you define non-existence as "I haven't yet materialized but my atoms are floating around")

In that case you can say you were dead longer then universe age. Infinite comes to mind.
09-03-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 05:24 PM by Logisch.)
(09-03-2014 05:14 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 05:09 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Well, all atoms and energy that we know of weren't around up till that point. Matter didn't even exist until things cooled down after the big bang, so... technically, yes.

In that case you can say you were dead longer then universe age. Infinite comes to mind.

Ah but now we get into time. Since time itself did not exist until the big bang, there was no time (that we know of) to exist in. Therefore, you couldn't not exist prior to that regarding time, because it was all in an area that was incredibly dense and infinitesimally small.

Think of a black hole. Then think of a billion black holes. Then think of billions of billions of stars and think of condensing all of that into one tiny infinitesimally small area in space regarding the density then consider how time essentially doesn't exist in a black hole, and then imagine what time would be like... but you couldn't... because time as you know it would not exist. So really, we've not existed since the beginning of time, which technically, the time we know started at the beginning of the big bang Wink

Stephen Hawking explains it quite well regarding the dimensions of time and space. (I realize the existence of god and his discussion of it have nothing to do with this discussion, but my points are his discussion on when time itself began)
Quote:[D]o we need a God to set it all up so a Big Bang can bang? … Our everyday experience makes us convinced that everything that happens must be caused by something that occurred earlier in time. So it’s natural for us to assume that something—perhaps God—must have caused the universe to come into existence. But when we’re talking about the universe as a whole, that isn’t necessarily so.

The role played by time at the beginning of the universe is, I believe, the final key to removing the need for a Grand Designer, and revealing how the universe created itself. … Time itself must come to a stop [at the singularity]. You can’t get to a time before the big bang, because there was no time before the big bang. We have finally found something that does not have a cause because there was no time for a cause to exist in. For me this means there is no possibility of a creator because there is no time for a creator to have existed. Since time itself began at the moment of the Big Bang, it was an event that could not have been caused or created by anyone or anything. … So when people ask me if a god created the universe, I tell them the question itself makes no sense. Time didn’t exist before the Big Bang, so there is no time for God to make the universe in. It’s like asking for directions to the edge of the Earth. The Earth is a sphere. It does not have an edge, so looking for it is a futile exercise.”

If we're all made of the same atoms and energy the rest of the universe is comprised of, then we too are parts of the universe. This leads us to the entertainment which is debate. The best part is where the universe, having come into consciousness, cannot agree on how it came to be in the first place. Laughat
09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Quote:Ah but now we get into time. Since time itself did not exist until the big bang, there was no time (that we know of) to exist in. Therefore, you couldn't not exist prior to that regarding time, because it was all in an area that was incredibly dense and infinitesimally small.
But even when time didn't exist you still don't exist. How do you clarify that?
10-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Yale has an online open course focusing on the subject of Death. I am taking it recently and recommend it to you.

Want something? Then do something.
10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't want to be conscience forever, but the thought of not being conscience forever scares me. But for the record I almost died when I was 13, my mother told me I flatlined twice and when I look back I don't remember anything just void of everything. And the more I thought about it really spooked me but I've really been thinking about it an reading all the comments is comforting. I feel like I'm not as worried about it I do have some times where I get overwhelmed by awcknowledgeing the thought of death.
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I fear death. The tragedy of death is not the non-existence, but the severed relationships. Here's how I've thought about it. Would there ever come a morning when I would wake up and willingly make the decision to say an eternal goodbye to my wife and daughters? I think every day I would say, no, I can't do that, maybe I'll consider it another day.

I suppose my perspective will change when I'm elderly and my body starts to fail. But if I could freeze all of us at our current age and health, I don't think I could ever bring myself to say that goodbye. Life and love are wondrous things. I'm so thankful for this time in the sun.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
10-03-2014, 11:54 PM
(09-03-2014 08:56 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
Quote:Ah but now we get into time. Since time itself did not exist until the big bang, there was no time (that we know of) to exist in. Therefore, you couldn't not exist prior to that regarding time, because it was all in an area that was incredibly dense and infinitesimally small.
But even when time didn't exist you still don't exist. How do you clarify that?

Consider I don't really have a good answer to that haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it weird that I've never mourned a death? germanyt 44 3,978 24-07-2013 10:35 PM
Last Post: TheCynicalOptimist
Rainbow Cure for death? AshleyApathy 75 9,678 23-07-2013 04:35 PM
Last Post: Zerq The mad
  On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists Zatamon 48 3,446 27-04-2013 11:10 PM
Last Post: childeye
  On Death and Dying Zat 10 534 06-02-2013 09:22 AM
Last Post: Seppela
  How to deal with death? WeAreOne 23 1,127 25-10-2012 01:51 PM
Last Post: WeAreOne
  Death anf Non-Self. Mr Woof 11 983 11-06-2012 11:59 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  Death and dying. bemore 25 2,080 21-11-2011 01:58 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor