Death.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-03-2014, 06:22 AM
RE: Death.
(08-03-2014 09:58 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Its one of the main differences between atheist and theist really. A theist will waste their short time on earth praying so they book themselves a spot in heaven.
Atheists release themselves from this belief and make the most of their time here in my experience.
Its perfectly natural to be a bit scared, but I second the above - enjoy life. Just make sure the monkeys are the same species!

LOL, I guess that's right! Theists are all ritualled up with no where to go.

I personally worry at times about the loss of memory and consciousness associated with death, though...an end to a stream of new adventures and experiences...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 06:51 AM
(09-03-2014 03:32 AM)Baruch Wrote:  Agree with Misanthropik

What usually scares people is the process of dying i.e suffering towards the end of life. Death itself is NOT AN EXPERIENCE.

You might fear or have anxiety ANTICIPATING to go to sleep but you have no fear when in deep unconscious sleep.

You might fear or have anxiety from needles and the anticipation of having an anesthetic - but once the anesthetic kicks in there is no conscious experience - hence no fear (or any experience)

Like wise death is the same - there is no experience hence how could there be anything to possibly fear ?

When I mean we fear the process of dying it is not ONLY the suffering from ill health as ghastly as this can be. I work in a hospital and seen the death rattle as saliva accumulates in the dying persons mouth, the lungs fill with fluid and someone struggles for each breath in a terrifying prolonged agony. (we usually kick in with some drugs at this stage to help alleviate this - but its nasty)

The suffering anticipating dying is also from REGRETS - things you wished you had done. So DO THEM NOW ! We all begin dying as soon as we are born ! You are in the process of dying now !!! This moment !
So if someone learns to deal with regret, and live fully now, every day then there will be no regret and suffering related to this. Big Grin

On the other hand I assume heaven is a conscious experience - living for eternity in heaven sounds like fear inducing hell !!! I mean living for 200 years - yup, I go for it if the experiences are good i.e not long periods of ill health.
400 year life - could be great, but I can see problems, however for someone with passion & goals this could be fantastic - or very dull for someone without much ambition and who becomes desensitized to sensual pleasures.
1000 years - this is already difficult to imagine ? How clear are memories from 400 yrs previously ?
If there is no cognitive decline and overall improvement in fitness and cognition and there are ambitious goals to achieve or experiences don't become desensitized (eg desensitization to novelty or repeated experiences) then this could be great ??? I dont know. Its already beyond the capacity to project what such a personality would be like.
WHat about 10,000 years...
Then 100,000 year life ?
Then 1,000,000,000,000,000............................................
In such circumstances one may just want to eat the forbidden fruit and pray God has the Grace to switch of the fucking lights !
Eternity also becomes UTTERLY meaningless because there can be no ambitions or goals to achieve - its just an infinite regress. (if this is even comprehensible or possible)

Maybe death just seems bad right now because I am young and haven't really done anything yet. 1 million years is extremely long, and I could see it getting dull eventually.
14-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Death.
Ecc 3:11
14-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Thinking of all the great minds in history that have lived and died calms me for whatever the reason. This not because I think I'm one but rather if it has happened (death) to these people I shouldn't be worried. Seems strange no?

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
14-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Death.
85/infinity=0.
1000/infinity=0
14-03-2014, 08:52 PM
The book of Ecclesiastes says you die and that's it. Most Christians don't bother with Ecclesiastes since it's too philosophical. It's actually a good read in parts, as it speaks to the vanity of existence. Was always my favorite biblical book:

'For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.'
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
14-03-2014, 08:54 PM
(14-03-2014 08:31 PM)Dan Wrote:  85/infinity=0.
1000/infinity=0
That puts it in perspective, thanks!
14-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Motherfuckers get scairt of Void by subtraction - i.e. they start "taking away" thingness. That's monkey-think. We have mind that simulates future and monkey that fears the simulation; but once the mind realizes that the monkey has no business on the simulator, it's all good in the hood.

Short version - there is no "i" in non-existence. Wanna be afraid of something, go play in traffic. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-03-2014, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 01:01 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2014 11:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Motherfuckers get scairt of Void by subtraction - i.e. they start "taking away" thingness. That's monkey-think. We have mind that simulates future and monkey that fears the simulation; but once the mind realizes that the monkey has no business on the simulator, it's all good in the hood.

Short version - there is no "i" in non-existence. Wanna be afraid of something, go play in traffic. Tongue

That. ... And yes the fact that I understand exactly what he's saying does kinda sorta scare the shit out of me. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-03-2014, 02:55 AM
(15-03-2014 12:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 11:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Motherfuckers get scairt of Void by subtraction - i.e. they start "taking away" thingness. That's monkey-think. We have mind that simulates future and monkey that fears the simulation; but once the mind realizes that the monkey has no business on the simulator, it's all good in the hood.

That. ... And yes the fact that I understand exactly what he's saying does kinda sorta scare the shit out of me. Big Grin

It wasn't until you said something that I realised I had just understood and accepted everything HoC said. Shocking

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]