Death.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-03-2014, 03:22 AM
RE: Death.
To the OP.

Have you ever been put under general anaesthetic so that you were no longer conscious and didn't even dream?

What's the difference between being in this state and being dead?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-03-2014, 03:24 AM
(15-03-2014 03:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  What's the difference between being in this state and being dead?

Your arms don't drop off when you shake hands?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-03-2014, 04:42 AM
(14-03-2014 11:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Motherfuckers get scairt of Void by subtraction - i.e. they start "taking away" thingness. That's monkey-think. We have mind that simulates future and monkey that fears the simulation; but once the mind realizes that the monkey has no business on the simulator, it's all good in the hood.

Short version - there is no "i" in non-existence. Wanna be afraid of something, go play in traffic. Tongue

There is an I in non-existance,

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
16-03-2014, 04:54 AM
(15-03-2014 03:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  To the OP.

Have you ever been put under general anaesthetic so that you were no longer conscious and didn't even dream?

There is no difference. Thats the point I was making on an earlier thread.
Obviously when you wake up from the general anesthetic you can infer what happened and re-orientate oneself as we do when we wake up in the morning.

Imagine the shock if you went to bed as normal and the next morning woke up in somewhere completely different. This can of course happen eg someone having some medical problem with amnesia and waking up in a distant hospital.

I saw a documentary about someone who was in a coma for 19 years and awoke. As far as I recall from the documentary he has no dreams and no experiences and extremely traumatized needing vast rehab both psychologically and physically.
I recall it was hard to tell if some disabilities are from the original trauma - but he was severely disabled and could not do very basic activities - partly due to the length of the coma. This is really freaky - to wake up 19 years older !!!!

So whats the difference with death.

You just dont wake up because there is no "YOU"

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
16-03-2014, 07:16 AM
(16-03-2014 04:42 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 11:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Motherfuckers get scairt of Void by subtraction - i.e. they start "taking away" thingness. That's monkey-think. We have mind that simulates future and monkey that fears the simulation; but once the mind realizes that the monkey has no business on the simulator, it's all good in the hood.

Short version - there is no "i" in non-existence. Wanna be afraid of something, go play in traffic. Tongue

There is an I in non-existance,

There is a U in punch. Angel

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I didn't read every reply so I don't know if anyone has said it yet but this quote by Epicurus (341–270 BC) brilliantly captures a rational response to the prospect of one's own morality:

“Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not.
If Death is, then I am not.
Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Pickup_shonuff's post
01-04-2014, 05:45 PM
(16-03-2014 04:54 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 03:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  To the OP.

There is no difference. Thats the point I was making on an earlier thread.
Obviously when you wake up from the general anesthetic you can infer what happened and re-orientate oneself as we do when we wake up in the morning.

Imagine the shock if you went to bed as normal and the next morning woke up in somewhere completely different. This can of course happen eg someone having some medical problem with amnesia and waking up in a distant hospital.

I saw a documentary about someone who was in a coma for 19 years and awoke. As far as I recall from the documentary he has no dreams and no experiences and extremely traumatized needing vast rehab both psychologically and physically.
I recall it was hard to tell if some disabilities are from the original trauma - but he was severely disabled and could not do very basic activities - partly due to the length of the coma. This is really freaky - to wake up 19 years older !!!!

So whats the difference with death.

You just dont wake up because there is no "YOU"

I would need rehab, too.
01-04-2014, 06:27 PM
I won't care when I'm dead, because I won't be able too. When somebody dies, it's the living that suffer and not the dead. I know what you mean about thinking of the impending doom of death while you still have your brief consciousness, and the thought of not experiencing life anymore does sound scary. That's what precisely makes life so valuable to us. You can spend time dwelling about the inevitable, but it won't get better, nor will it change.

Also, think about it this way. When you die, you won't be tortured by some old dude in the sky because of what you believed or didn't believe. That thought always makes me smile.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
How can I die if at the moment of death I cease to exist?

Life is all we have. Better to appreciate and celebrate it then waste time fearing its end.

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
(01-04-2014 06:44 PM)Banjo Wrote:  How can I die if at the moment of death I cease to exist?

Life is all we have. Better to appreciate and celebrate it then waste time fearing its end.

Good point