Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 05:42 AM
RE: Death
(20-08-2014 09:09 PM)alegzac54 Wrote:  Hello I am new here. I recently became an atheist. But i am struggling with the idea of just dying and knowing that thats it for me. I was hoping for your thoughts on how you deal with this

You should be afraid of death, not in the bullshit magical way religion teaches. If you did not fear death you would not look both ways when crossing a busy street. It is also what causes you to seek a doctor when you are not feeling well.

But the comic book threat of a fictional hell and the threat of being tortured forever for not kissing Gods ass, no, that would be like being afraid of Lex Luther.

I fear missing my loved ones who will survive me. I fear long protracted pain, I would prefer a quick death where I don't see it coming. But I do not fear nature, it will happen to me at some point, just like a leaf falling off a tree and dying and rotting. No one fears that.

But life after I die will feel exactly like it did before I was born. I don't have a fear of my pre life non existence, so why should I fear nothingness after I die?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-08-2014, 06:35 AM

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-08-2014, 07:06 AM
(21-08-2014 05:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 09:09 PM)alegzac54 Wrote:  Hello I am new here. I recently became an atheist. But i am struggling with the idea of just dying and knowing that thats it for me. I was hoping for your thoughts on how you deal with this

You should be afraid of death, not in the bullshit magical way religion teaches. If you did not fear death you would not look both ways when crossing a busy street. It is also what causes you to seek a doctor when you are not feeling well.

But the comic book threat of a fictional hell and the threat of being tortured forever for not kissing Gods ass, no, that would be like being afraid of Lex Luther.

I fear missing my loved ones who will survive me. I fear long protracted pain, I would prefer a quick death where I don't see it coming. But I do not fear nature, it will happen to me at some point, just like a leaf falling off a tree and dying and rotting. No one fears that.

But life after I die will feel exactly like it did before I was born. I don't have a fear of my pre life non existence, so why should I fear nothingness after I die?

That's kind of wrong. You should try to stay alive because you like life, not because you fear death.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Alegzac, I know what you are going through, and I felt the same way recently. I embrace the fact when I die, I will only cease to exist and that's it. But I am a bit of a futurist, so I am really eager to see what the future looks like in the 22nd-23rd century. Frankly, it is easier to die than to be able to live in the future. Which means I fear death because I want to see the future. I am quite optimistic about this really. As the guys in this topic stressed that we all should focus on living and not caring about death, I think I'd prefer to find many ways to get rich, as in more wealth to spend on research and science education for the public so that I'd foresee the creation of cryogenic pods sooner than later and get one myself. If that fails, maybe spend on a space coffin. Just send my dead body to space. I don't to get buried on Earth or have tomb for myself cuz aint that unoriginal lolz. Also no chance for extraterrestrial to find my corpse, and try to revive me in their own kind's endoskeleton/exoskeleton or into their robot or something. Hahaha sorry optimist being very optimistic right here Tongue
21-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Alegzac, I know what you are going through, and I felt the same way recently. I embrace the fact when I die, I will only cease to exist and that's it. But I am a bit of a futurist, so I am really eager to see what the future looks like in the 22nd-23rd century. Frankly, it is easier to die than to be able to live in the future. Which means I fear death because I want to see the future. I am quite optimistic about this really. As the guys in this topic stressed that we all should focus on living and not caring about death, I think I'd prefer to find many ways to get rich, as in more wealth to spend on research and science education for the public so that I'd foresee the creation of cryogenic pods sooner than later and get one myself. If that fails, maybe spend on a space coffin. Just send my dead body to space. I don't to get buried on Earth or have tomb for myself cuz aint that unoriginal lolz. Also no chance for extraterrestrial to find my corpse, and try to revive me in their own kind's endoskeleton/exoskeleton or into their robot or something. Hahaha sorry optimist being very optimistic right here Tongue
21-08-2014, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 02:10 PM by Luminon.)
Once in meditation I experienced de-personalization. It is literally like experiencing your own non-existence. It's weird, but it doesn't really feel bad, there is nobody to feel bad for. So that's the bottom line, it can only get better.

The thing with being a skeptic is, if you wonder about anything, go research the subject, see what's the evidence for and against. Going Wiki would be a good start.

Reincarnation research
Psychiatrist Ian Stevenson, from the University of Virginia, investigated many reports of young children who claimed to remember a past life. He conducted more than 2,500 case studies over a period of 40 years and published twelve books, including Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation and Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect. Stevenson methodically documented each child's statements and then identified the deceased person the child identified with, and verified the facts of the deceased person's life that matched the child's memory. He also matched birthmarks and birth defects to wounds and scars on the deceased, verified by medical records such as autopsy photographs, in Reincarnation and Biology.[70]

Stevenson searched for disconfirming evidence and alternative explanations for the reports, and believed that his strict methods ruled out all possible "normal" explanations for the child’s memories.[71] However, a significant majority of Stevenson's reported cases of reincarnation originated in Eastern societies, where dominant religions often permit the concept of reincarnation. Following this type of criticism, Stevenson published a book on European Cases of the Reincarnation Type. Other people who have undertaken reincarnation research include Jim B. Tucker, Antonia Mills,[72] Satwant Pasricha, Godwin Samararatne, and Erlendur Haraldsson.

But Dr. Stevenson himself recognized one glaring flaw in his case for reincarnation: the absence of any evidence of a physical process by which a personality could survive death and transfer to another body.[73]

http://reluctant-messenger.com/

That's how I would deal with fear of death, I would research the thing and compare it. If the evidence is weak, you will at least have closure that there is no evidence. If you find the evidence good, you will have hope. But please never assume that atheism means you stop searching because this or that is just impossible. And please don't waste such an opportunity, it's a good motivation as any to learn and research things. It won't make you a worse atheist if you look to the roots of your fear through science, even if it's just statistics or social science.

Now I see this world as a big experiment, a big theater where you have a chance to co-author the scenario and decide how will the whole play go. You spent the first 20 or 40 years learning the script, you jump into the role, you do your best, if you're lucky, you... recruit some actors to take up the job and then you go off stage. Some people never realize this is a theater, they never realize they can be co-authors or they spend their whole life learning the script... But there are actors who made a great contribution to the play, who wrote a lot of the script, and even more rare individuals who actually wrote some good pieces and made the play more fun for everyone. For those I hope in comeback, but no guarantees, it's a play after all and we all wear masks.
21-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Death
Thank you for the different views it really does help me a lot. The answers here are a million times better than any priest would give you. I really appreciate your input on this topic
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user