Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 03:23 PM by Adrianime.)
Question Death
Death is a very interesting topic. I think it is the driving force behind many religions.

"What happens when a person stops moving?" It seems humans have always wanted to know the answer to this...or more accurately it seems we have wanted there to be a certain answer to this. That answer being, "they continue to live".

Of course without some amount of magic, that is impossible. There is absolutely no indication that what we call living (brain function, bodily functions) has any way of occuring in a non-physical way.

But all that aside, that's not what this post is necessarily about. What I want to talk about is the fear of death.

What I see from so many atheists is this "We are all stardust, I wasn't alive before I was born" crap and it just seems like somebody said this once and people just ate it up. Yes factually, we are all recycled matter, and yes we weren't alive before we were born and it didn't bother us at all. But so? What significance is there in knowing the matter that I'm comprised of will be recycled and used elsewhere? How does knowing that you won't think, plan, feel, experience, or love once you are dead release you from the fear of no longer being able to think, plan, feel, experience or love?

My knee-jerk hunch is to think that people who were once religious and did at one time believe in an afterlife find this to be more comforting than those who never had a religion. That's purely a hunch though...

I fear death, and I think it's perfectly natural and necessary to fear death. I just don't get the rationalization that people try to do to make it seem like dying just isn't that big of a deal. Because of course it's a huge effing deal. It's the end of what is you as a sentient being. The end of happiness. The end of emotion. The end of good times, laughter, fun, friendships. Of course all the negative stuff about being alive too. But it's the end of LIFE. How can you say, "Well, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me when I'm dead."?? Isn't that sidestepping the issue of actually being fearful that your current life will come to an end? Does it not strike fear into your heart that there will be a LAST TIME for everything? A last time you can kiss your lover or your children? A last time you can see an old friend? A last time you can eat a home-cooked meal? Finality is the saddest thing to me.

The thought of not being able to live any more terrifies me. I don't care that I won't know that I'm not alive. I don't care that my body will eventually be a part of something different. I don't think I can ever just shrug it off and say it doesn't worry me. I consider it a life-long fear and I have no problems with it being that way. *Just in case I get some "this is no way to live your life" type of response, I want to make it clear that I don't sit around thinking about when I might die, nor does this fear interfere with my daily life whatsoever.*

*sigh* I know that was basically a rant, but you know...this has always bugged me. I hope you guys share your views on death and whether it does or does not scare you.

TL;DR: Death sucks, and scares me. I consider the "we are stardust" and "we weren't alive before we were born" sentiments to be void of value. I wonder what you all feel about this subject as well.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
11-11-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: Death
I'm fond of this Epicurus quote: Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

I'm not afraid of death, it's only dying in pain that make me feel uncomfortable. But death itself? It's just eternal, dreamless sleep I think, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 8 users Like Szuchow's post
11-11-2015, 03:27 PM
(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm fond of this Epicurus quote: Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

I'm not afraid of death, it's only dying in pain that make me feel uncomfortable. But death itself? It's just eternal, dreamless sleep I think, so there is nothing to be afraid of.
It is the opposite for me. The pain of dying doesn't scare me. The finality of my extinguished life is what scares me.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I totally agree with you. Death is a constant source of nihilism and despair for me. Yeah yeah, stardust. It's an elegant realization, but elegance is moot after you're dead. It's probably moot when you're on your way out.

My fear doesn't interfere with my life, either, except on those days I stop and think "Yeah... I'm going to die someday. Everyone I know and love will die and I'll probably have to witness most of it."

Finality is crushing. I have one fear even greater than that of death. Being on my deathbed when they finally figure out how to reverse aging and drastically increase lifespans. What a fucking joke that will be. Lots of people will have to deal with that. Just like thousands will die of cancer the day before the foolproof cure is discovered.
[+] 2 users Like wizardofthevoid's post
11-11-2015, 03:30 PM
(11-11-2015 03:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm fond of this Epicurus quote: Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

It is the opposite for me. The pain of dying doesn't scare me. The finality of my extinguished life is what scares me.

To each his own I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT to die, I enjoy living. But if my life becomes a situation where living is not enjoyable or it's even painful, and I'm more of a burden to my loved ones than a joy I think death will be a relief and I'm not overly afraid of it.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
11-11-2015, 03:33 PM
No fear on my part, but plenty of concern about my loved ones and how my passing will affect them. That is the thing that bugs me about it.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
11-11-2015, 03:34 PM
(11-11-2015 03:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  It is the opposite for me. The pain of dying doesn't scare me. The finality of my extinguished life is what scares me.

To each his own I guess.

It's not a matter of choice. It's a matter of how your personal brain perceives death. Some aren't scared, some are petrified by it. There's nothing you can do unless your perception changes, and that's not something one can always will oneself to do.
11-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't really think any of the answers fit me.

I have times when I think of death. It's mostly a lingering effect of having been depressed for quite a few years. At that time I longed for it and did seek it. It was freedom, so to speak. No the thought still comes mostly when I go to bed and my brain seems to think up ways for me to die, without me actually wanting to be dead. It has become a companion I guess that's just there but I don't really interact with it. Death isn't scary to me. But to leave behind my daughter before she is grown up is.

In fact the thought of how my death would impact her kept me from going further than climbing a tree and tie a rope around my neck. That last step was also a last goodbye that I couldn't say. I see myself as largely useless in the grand scheme of things. . . well that's not true. I'm entirely useless in the grand scheme of things. Life is full of feelings both good and bad. Death is silence and peace.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
11-11-2015, 03:37 PM
(11-11-2015 03:34 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  To each his own I guess.

It's not a matter of choice. It's a matter of how your personal brain perceives death. Some aren't scared, some are petrified by it. There's nothing you can do unless your perception changes, and that's not something one can always will oneself to do.

You seem to be quite sure of what you're saying but I'm not seeing anything that would back your words.

Mikhail Bakunin.