Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: Death
(21-12-2015 07:35 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 09:25 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  How do you imagine nothing?

Every time I've been put under for a medical procedure (mostly, a series of colonoscopies, but also a couple of surgeries), and I wake up and realize how "gone" I was for the entire time, I tell myself that this is what death must be like: Nada, nada, y pues nada (as Hemingway wrote).

l watched a colonoscopy on the monitor. It was like a weird version of Star Trek . Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-12-2015, 07:59 PM
(12-11-2015 01:20 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  A

Could it have anything to do with once believing in hell? Since *nothingness* is better than *eternal torture* does it comfort you that it's just *nothingness*?

I curse the Catholic motherfuckers who put the fear of hell in me as a kid. That truly seems to me to be a form of child abuse.

But yeah, nothingness seems way, way, way (way) better than suffering in torment forever.

Fucking miserable fucks. Anybody who tells a kid that deserves his/her own special circle of ... hell!

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
21-12-2015, 08:02 PM
(21-12-2015 07:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  l watched a colonoscopy on the monitor. It was like a weird version of Star Trek . Big Grin

Hmmm. Are you sure it wasn't a sigmoidoscopy? I've watched those — just 18 inches up the colon, and so useless that most docs don't bother with them any more (it's a little like looking at someone's ankle and declaring that they don't have a broken leg). I've never heard of anyone being awake and enjoying a screen version of a full-on colonoscopy.

Actually, that's not quite true: I have been "awake," but doped on Versed, a memory-erasing drug, and I recalled vague impressions (like fluorescent lights and people leaning over me).

I'd say the existence of a drug like Versed is a kind of refutation of the idea of a "soul," now that I think of it.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
21-12-2015, 08:17 PM
(21-12-2015 08:02 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 07:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  l watched a colonoscopy on the monitor. It was like a weird version of Star Trek . Big Grin

Hmmm. Are you sure it wasn't a sigmoidoscopy? I've watched those — just 18 inches up the colon, and so useless that most docs don't bother with them any more (it's a little like looking at someone's ankle and declaring that they don't have a broken leg). I've never heard of anyone being awake and enjoying a screen version of a full-on colonoscopy.

Actually, that's not quite true: I have been "awake," but doped on Versed, a memory-erasing drug, and I recalled vague impressions (like fluorescent lights and people leaning over me).

I'd say the existence of a drug like Versed is a kind of refutation of the idea of a "soul," now that I think of it.

Nope, I've been awake both time just slightly drugged to relax me. Watched the vid, got pics. Was really cool, though a bit uncomfortable sometimes. Took about 30-40 minutes all total. I even got a guided tour. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
21-12-2015, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2015 08:40 PM by Banjo.)
Oh I am sure. When one is in hospital for 10 months one gets tested for everything. I think i had 5 colonoscopies. I woke up twice. Colonoscopies are easy. I am now in hospital awaiting lumbar puncture #31. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
22-12-2015, 08:51 AM
The void/death doesn't care what I think, what I do, what I have achieved or haven't, how much money I've earned, my morals, if I die peacefully or if I die painfully and slowly. Even your fear is wasted in a universe that has no feelings as even fear itself will cease to exist.

If I am conscious that I am in a situation where I will die in the future I imagine that I will fight it. Even if I die horribly I will probably fight it and be in horrendous pain, instincts kicking in beyond any control of what I perceive as "I".

But then nothing, you can no longer sense or perceive what you have lost or pain you have previously felt. You have no "memory" of dying as you simply have no memories.... everything is temporarily pointless.... even the sun goes out.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
22-12-2015, 02:26 PM
(22-12-2015 08:51 AM)bemore Wrote:  But then nothing, you can no longer sense or perceive what you have lost or pain you have previously felt. You have no "memory" of dying as you simply have no memories.... everything is temporarily pointless.... even the sun goes out.

Temporarily? There never was a demonstrable point to any of it, and there's no reason to think there ever will be. As for death itself, your passage above leaves open the possibility that "you" will start back up and begin to have new experiences. On the contrary, there is no verifiable evidence that you will do other than wink out. As near as can be determined, what we have here and now is all any of us is going to get. Some would call this a bleak outlook; if it makes you feel better you can latch onto the qualifiers that indicate we don't ultimately know, but that's more an emotional than rational response.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
24-12-2015, 02:52 AM
(22-12-2015 02:26 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(22-12-2015 08:51 AM)bemore Wrote:  But then nothing, you can no longer sense or perceive what you have lost or pain you have previously felt. You have no "memory" of dying as you simply have no memories.... everything is temporarily pointless.... even the sun goes out.

Temporarily? There never was a demonstrable point to any of it, and there's no reason to think there ever will be. As for death itself, your passage above leaves open the possibility that "you" will start back up and begin to have new experiences. On the contrary, there is no verifiable evidence that you will do other than wink out. As near as can be determined, what we have here and now is all any of us is going to get. Some would call this a bleak outlook; if it makes you feel better you can latch onto the qualifiers that indicate we don't ultimately know, but that's more an emotional than rational response.

We are temporary as in none of us are here forever. I see it all as pointless as philosophically im a Nihilist.

You have misinterpreted my statement if you think I am leaving open any possibility of anything after death.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
24-12-2015, 04:18 AM
(22-12-2015 02:26 PM)jabeady Wrote:  

WTF are you on about? He never stated anything of the kind.

Read posts more carefully otherwise you may be considered a twat.

Banjo.
24-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Death is a natural part of life. It is also inevitable. Many people are scared of death and some want to live forever. My reply to this is, before birth, we cannot remember anything. The same goes with death. You won't be here at all and is a weird thought to have. You need to learn that you are insignificant in this world, like everyone, because ion the end, our outcomes are identical. Not being religious gives you more to live for as you accept that you will have a complete end, unlike religious people, who believe in an afterlife or something along those lines. Religion is fuelled by fear, especially of death. As a child, death can be an especially hard thought to overcome and accept. When religion is presented to you as a child and religion tells you that if you follow certain rules you will go to an afterlife, you can easily instantaneously become infatuated with the idea of being religious. Now most children are intelligent enough to dismiss religion, but they have it forced on them by their parents, who push their beliefs on them, and this repeats itself over generations. To overcome the fear of death, all you have to do is dismiss it and accept your fate. Soon, you will not be afraid of death and will strive to live life to the fullest and make the most out of your time on this beautiful Earth.