Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 03:39 PM
RE: Death
Well, I'm 65 and my father died when he was 73; that appears to mean that I'm down to single digits. What bothers me most is that I'm out of time to do a lot of the things I want to do. As to death itself, I won't say that I'm not afraid of it, but the way I die has me worried a lot more. After all, there are plenty of people alive today who would and will actually welcome death when it comes. About all you can do is to shove it off to the side and live as best you can.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
11-11-2015, 03:40 PM
How I die worries me. But I've been put under for an operation more than once so I know what being unconscious is like. I've experienced agony. I've been suicidal. I've had to fight to have a life and I am grateful for what has been achieved so far. One thing that weighs on my mind is that it might all turn out to be a waste of time and effort.

Technically I should stop worrying and just enjoy life, but I can't really enjoy things, I am not wired up to feel pleasure, so it's not really possible to just sit back and enjoy life. I only really find contentment in achieving things.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
11-11-2015, 03:42 PM
(11-11-2015 03:29 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  Finality is crushing. I have one fear even greater than that of death. Being on my deathbed when they finally figure out how to reverse aging and drastically increase lifespans. What a fucking joke that will be. Lots of people will have to deal with that. Just like thousands will die of cancer the day before the foolproof cure is discovered.

Or the soldier that gets horribly disfigured early the same morning the cease fire is made.

Like, what was the point of that?
11-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't fear BEING dead at all. It's not like I'll be ashes in an urn, or a body in a coffin, reflecting on my own death.
There are however, many unpleasant ways of getting dead that don't appeal to me.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I wanna be immortal.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
No, It's not something I ever gave much thought too in the old sense of If I had an afterlife, though I was a typical raised in religion in the USA kid, though I think now it was a very liberal church upbringing that didn't bring any of that fear or real details of anything like it to the table.

I can't say I don't think about it a lot, I do just in many various ways and focuses.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
(11-11-2015 03:36 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I have times when I think of death. It's mostly a lingering effect of having been depressed for quite a few years. At that time I longed for it and did seek it. It was freedom, so to speak. No the thought still comes mostly when I go to bed and my brain seems to think up ways for me to die, without me actually wanting to be dead. It has become a companion I guess that's just there but I don't really interact with it. Death isn't scary to me. But to leave behind my daughter before she is grown up is.

I can really relate to this. There was a time in my life when it was the overriding thought throughout my head every waking moment of every day.

I don't feel that way any more but the nihilistic drive is still there. But I love my husband and would not want to hurt my relatives. Nor do I want to make it all a waste of time. Maybe this is why I am so driven to make a significant contribution. Not that I am likely to but I feel like if I can then I can die contented.

I remember once when I was 18 being electrocuted when playing a guitar through an amp that wasn't wired up properly and thinking that I was going to die within the next few minutes. The very last thought I had was "I can't die now, I still have so much to do".

What shocked me was my reaction afterwards through the rest of evening. I kept thinking to myself 'I should have died''.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-11-2015, 03:51 PM
(11-11-2015 03:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:34 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  It's not a matter of choice. It's a matter of how your personal brain perceives death. Some aren't scared, some are petrified by it. There's nothing you can do unless your perception changes, and that's not something one can always will oneself to do.

You seem to be quite sure of what you're saying but I'm not seeing anything that would back your words.

What isn't backed up? Perceptions? Willing oneself to change an outlook? That a fear of death is not a choice?
11-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Age has something to do with it.

People in their child bearing/rearing years tend to have the highest survival instinct. They have dependents, kids to raise. If we were not scared of death at that age as a species, we could die out.

As you get older and closer to death, it becomes less scary to leave life behind.

Age takes a toll on your body, it slowly loses function bit by bit. Your older relatives all die, then your peers die. Every time that happens you come a step closer to accepting your own death.

The highest suicide rate is among people above 70, and the figures are totally slanted even still because most of these suicides are covered up for "moral" or financial reasons. Only a small percentage makes it into the statistics.

It would be pretty nasty if the survival instinct in old people were as strong as in young ones. Nobody could have a peaceful death.

As you age, you become more and more familiar with death and eventually it becomes your friend, a relief.

If this familiarity with death is forced on you in your childbearing age (like with military folks) it can cause a lot of issues.

Don't waste your time worrying about death, when the time comes, chances are it will be sudden or you will be ready.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2015, 03:56 PM
(11-11-2015 03:51 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  You seem to be quite sure of what you're saying but I'm not seeing anything that would back your words.

What isn't backed up? Perceptions? Willing oneself to change an outlook? That a fear of death is not a choice?

Nothing you said was backed up. How do you know that fear of death isn't a choice? Or by product of religious upbringing?

I'm not saying that fear not being a choice isn't the case but it would be great if you would cite something to back up you statements.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post