Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Death
(11-11-2015 03:42 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:29 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  Finality is crushing. I have one fear even greater than that of death. Being on my deathbed when they finally figure out how to reverse aging and drastically increase lifespans. What a fucking joke that will be. Lots of people will have to deal with that. Just like thousands will die of cancer the day before the foolproof cure is discovered.

Or the soldier that gets horribly disfigured early the same morning the cease fire is made.

Like, what was the point of that?

Exactly. I mean, I'm still thankful that I'm living, that I got the opportunity to have consciousness and am able to learn and laugh and cry. Thinking about the null at the end of it all, especially when you're right at death's doorstep, is inevitable in a thinking person, I think. And it's scary. Because it's unknown. It's that place where your campfire's light can't reach. That pitch black right at the edge of your field of vision.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2015, 03:58 PM
(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm fond of this Epicurus quote: Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

I'm not afraid of death, it's only dying in pain that make me feel uncomfortable. But death itself? It's just eternal, dreamless sleep I think, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

Yeah, that's about I feel about it too.

I'm not afraid of being dead at all because I won't know I'm dead, but I get a little melancholy when I think about dying, and that there is a time coming when, as Christopher Hitchens put it, the party will go on, but I'll have to leave. Undecided

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
11-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Well maybe ask ourselves, what is life to us? Is it a thing we have or something we do? Once we're done doing it, if we've done it well, maybe we can look back at it with satisfaction and accept that it's ending.
11-11-2015, 04:02 PM
(11-11-2015 03:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:51 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  What isn't backed up? Perceptions? Willing oneself to change an outlook? That a fear of death is not a choice?

Nothing you said was backed up. How do you know that fear of death isn't a choice? Or by product of religious upbringing?

I'm not saying that fear not being a choice isn't the case but it would be great if you would cite something to back up you statements.

Because if your ancestors didn't fear death, they died. Then you wouldn't be here. I really don't see how I need to have a citation proving that your brain is wired to keep you alive, and that part of that wiring is an extreme aversion to death. Unless you want to say that there's a difference between an aversion and a fear. In which case, you may have a point.
11-11-2015, 04:03 PM
(11-11-2015 03:58 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Well maybe ask ourselves, what is life to us? Is it a thing we have or something we do? Once we're done doing it, if we've done it well, maybe we can look back at it with satisfaction and accept that it's ending.

I sincerely hope I feel that way when my time comes. I really doubt it, though.
11-11-2015, 04:07 PM
(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm fond of this Epicurus quote: Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

I'm not afraid of death, it's only dying in pain that make me feel uncomfortable. But death itself? It's just eternal, dreamless sleep I think, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

"When you get right down to it, nobody minds being dead, it's getting dead that bothers them" -- George Carlin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
(11-11-2015 04:02 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:56 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Nothing you said was backed up. How do you know that fear of death isn't a choice? Or by product of religious upbringing?

I'm not saying that fear not being a choice isn't the case but it would be great if you would cite something to back up you statements.

Because if your ancestors didn't fear death, they died. Then you wouldn't be here. I really don't see how I need to have a citation proving that your brain is wired to keep you alive, and that part of that wiring is an extreme aversion to death. Unless you want to say that there's a difference between an aversion and a fear. In which case, you may have a point.

Aversion and fear are different things.

I'm not afraid of dying but it does not mean I would welcome death now.

I think you're missing the point with ancestors - not being afraid of death does not mean being willing to die I would say. Not being afraid of death does not mean being careless, avoidance of suffering is reason enough to be careful I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Being dead doesn't scare me. Dying in an unpleasant and painful fashion does.

It feels mostly like my anxiety about giving birth, where I was very worried about the stress and pain. And I had a hellish labor ending in an emergency C section, which I was awake for, but the body did what it was going to do. I figure the same sort of thing will happen when my dyin' time is here...

...so bundle up my coffin, 'cause it's cold way down there. (R.I.P. Laura Nyro)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
11-11-2015, 04:16 PM
(11-11-2015 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:02 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  Because if your ancestors didn't fear death, they died. Then you wouldn't be here. I really don't see how I need to have a citation proving that your brain is wired to keep you alive, and that part of that wiring is an extreme aversion to death. Unless you want to say that there's a difference between an aversion and a fear. In which case, you may have a point.

Aversion and fear are different things.

I think you're missing the point with ancestors - not being afraid of death does not mean being willing to die I would say. Not being afraid of death does not mean being careless, avoidance of suffering is reason enough to be careful I think.

We're in total agreement. Big Grin
11-11-2015, 04:17 PM
(11-11-2015 04:16 PM)wizardofthevoid Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:09 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Aversion and fear are different things.

We're in total agreement. Big Grin

That's good I guess Smile.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.