Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: Death
To quote Woody Allen, I don't mind dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jabeady's post
11-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Just to clarify...I'm not afraid that once I am dead I will find it unpleasant. That is silly. I'm fearful of no longer having the ability to do the things I can while I am alive.

Also the thought of no longer being able to think really freaks me out.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
11-11-2015, 04:44 PM
I don't fear being dead, but there are some ways of dying (cancer or other long and painful ways) that scare the shit out of me.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-11-2015, 04:52 PM
(11-11-2015 03:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  Age has something to do with it.

People in their child bearing/rearing years tend to have the highest survival instinct. They have dependents, kids to raise. If we were not scared of death at that age as a species, we could die out.

As you get older and closer to death, it becomes less scary to leave life behind.

Age takes a toll on your body, it slowly loses function bit by bit. Your older relatives all die, then your peers die. Every time that happens you come a step closer to accepting your own death.

The highest suicide rate is among people above 70, and the figures are totally slanted even still because most of these suicides are covered up for "moral" or financial reasons. Only a small percentage makes it into the statistics.

It would be pretty nasty if the survival instinct in old people were as strong as in young ones. Nobody could have a peaceful death.

As you age, you become more and more familiar with death and eventually it becomes your friend, a relief.

If this familiarity with death is forced on you in your childbearing age (like with military folks) it can cause a lot of issues.

Don't waste your time worrying about death, when the time comes, chances are it will be sudden or you will be ready.
This is an interesting perspective that I've heard before. As I am not "older" quite yet I don't have a good way to test this on myself. Right now life is so precious, and my "instinct" to continue my own life is almost an overriding will. Maybe this will change some day.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
(11-11-2015 04:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't fear being dead, but there are some ways of dying (cancer or other long and painful ways) that scare the shit out of me.

This is how I feel too. I'm not afraid of being dead, but the process of dying when it comes. I can only hope that when death finds me, it takes me instantly and finds me unaware of its approach. Either that or by my own hand when I've decided I'm ready.

I'm probably more afraid of the death of those I love. Knowing that in an instant the life and love of someone I'm connected to will cease to exist except in memory.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
The spoken lyrics of Richard Dawkins from the Nightwish song "The greatest show on Earth"
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

Although I'm not sure these would be comforting words to a terminally ill patient, but for an average person, perhaps grappling with the idea of their own mortality, I think the above is quite beautiful poetry.

Myself, I'm not worried about what happens to me after death, however, I am enjoying life, I don't want to die just yet. My kids are young, I want to be there for them and my wife, I want to enjoy watching them grow up. I am their biggest fan and I would hate the thought of missing out seeing their many acheivements to come.
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
11-11-2015, 07:11 PM
(11-11-2015 05:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The spoken lyrics of Richard Dawkins from the Nightwish song "The greatest show on Earth"
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"
Ugh, this just straight up "does not compute". Logically I get what he is saying. But why..why is this something I should care about? Why should it be meaningful to me? That I don't get.

11-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I still like the old adage. "Dying is easy. It's comedy that's hard" That just cracks me up.

It was attributed to several different comedians on their deathbed, one being Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame.

There's been a couple of times in my life when I was so sick that I really wanted to die and get it over with, and that was when I was like 22, so I can imagine that being really sick at 85 in a used up body that death would be welcome.

I've never seen any statistics on this but I wonder if women are less or more afraid of death than men.... or if there is any difference at all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I remember when I first really understood mortality - I guess when I was about 8 or 9? Scared the shit out of me at the time.

Few of the older people in my life were in a position to be aware of their own death when it came, but those that were came to a very sanguine and peaceful understanding of it. Intellectually I'm aware of some of the same thoughts and even share them, but for now the immediate impulse is a very primal "fuck no, not yet".

Although - "what use is worrying?" is a thought that I find makes an awful lot of things less important.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-11-2015, 08:15 PM
(11-11-2015 03:47 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I wanna be immortal.

Is that really it, though?

I think perhaps that what most people might want when they say or think that - certainly what I would - is that they want to have certain control over when and how they die. For all that the distant future is unimaginable I then find the thought of eventually wanting to die without being able to even more frightening.

... this is my signature!