Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 12:04 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Death
It was never an issue for me. I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose I just became comfortable with the idea that I'm completely insignificant, and accepting that death is going to happen is like any other fact, like the sky being blue. If I'm going to embrace reason, and I want to live a life of reason, then it would not be reasonable of me to fear death. It's simplistic, but that's how I cope with it. I think there's also an enjoyment of using reason which outweighs negative emotions a lot of the time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2015, 12:01 PM
(12-11-2015 11:55 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It was never an issue for me. I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose I just embraced the idea of thinking rationally, and accepting that death is going to happen is like any other fact, like the sky being blue. If I'm going to embrace reason, and I want to live a life of reason, then it would not be reasonable of me to fear death. It's simplistic, but that's how I cope with it. I think there's also an enjoyment of using reason which outweighs negative emotions a lot of the time.
So....you're a robot? Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
12-11-2015, 12:09 PM
(12-11-2015 12:01 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 11:55 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It was never an issue for me. I'm not sure exactly why. I suppose I just embraced the idea of thinking rationally, and accepting that death is going to happen is like any other fact, like the sky being blue. If I'm going to embrace reason, and I want to live a life of reason, then it would not be reasonable of me to fear death. It's simplistic, but that's how I cope with it. I think there's also an enjoyment of using reason which outweighs negative emotions a lot of the time.
So....you're a robot? Tongue

I do have emotions, but it's not a very wide range. I don't really feel anger, but I do feel frustration, for example. I can still obviously get trapped in an emotional state like everyone else, but I let the emotions occur (I don't drown them out) and eventually I get out of it, and I find comfort in rational thought.
12-11-2015, 12:33 PM
(12-11-2015 11:47 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 11:39 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Many Asian cultures do multi-generational households for instance. Where at some point the parents(grandparents) come back to live with the children when they reach a certain age.

Most of the world has had this or a similar practice prior to the last 100 years or so. Culture changes based on necessity. Without the safety nets that we have suddenly deemed to be essential, a culture that did not incorporate extended family units wouldn't be survivable for either the elderly or the children in need of care.

Yep, my grandparents were still lucky enough to benefit from this. But it's pretty much gone from western cultures now, old people are a burden and are sent to old people farms. These homes can be nice looking or shabby, and the care given is unpredictable at best.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2015, 12:44 PM
(12-11-2015 12:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  old people farms.
Except at farms, things grow Tongue.

12-11-2015, 12:46 PM
(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't wish for eternal life or for any life after death scenario to play out.
If you wish not to die then you are wishing for eternal life.

(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I simply fear death and see no positive twist that makes it any more inviting or acceptable. I'm not looking for an alternative.
More inviting than what? There is no alternative.

Without death we wouldn't have evolution. Evolution requires that the more capable organisms proliferate and the less capable ones die off. Without death our adaptive space would have been filled on a first serve basis rather than a fittest basis.

(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  My own death is close to the very last thing I would want to happen.
There may come a time when you welcome and even wish for death.
Your friends might be dead, your peers might be dead, your body is almost disfunctional, perhaps you are in a lot of pain. Maybe you have seen everything that you are capable of seeing, maybe there are no places you can go with your fragile body. Slowly as the years come by you will pick up some niggles here some pains there. Getting out of bed might be a struggle, swallowing might be a struggle, walking might be a struggle. You might look back on your life and feel happy, a sense of achievement and look forward and see nothing more for you. You may welcome death.

Death isn't the worst thing that can happen.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
(11-11-2015 03:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  How does knowing that you won't think, plan, feel, experience, or love once you are dead release you from the fear of no longer being able to think, plan, feel, experience or love?

I have faith in mathematics. Come at me like this paragraph implies, I'll stick my finger in your eye.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2015, 01:12 PM
(12-11-2015 12:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't wish for eternal life or for any life after death scenario to play out.
If you wish not to die then you are wishing for eternal life.
I don't wish or hope for any impossibility such as eternal life. That's a waste of emotion. I just don't plan on dying any sooner than I have to.
Quote:
(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I simply fear death and see no positive twist that makes it any more inviting or acceptable. I'm not looking for an alternative.
More inviting than what? There is no alternative.
More inviting than it currently is. I'm not saying there is an alternative. Death is reality. It's an unappealing reality and I happen to be personally fearful of my own death. Just because something is inevitable doesn't mean I need to like it, or that I won't find it scary.

Quote:Without death we wouldn't have evolution. Evolution requires that the more capable organisms proliferate and the less capable ones die off. Without death our adaptive space would have been filled on a first serve basis rather than a fittest basis.
Yes life as we know it can't exist without death, but that fact doesn't affect my fear of death.

Quote:
(12-11-2015 01:04 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  My own death is close to the very last thing I would want to happen.
There may come a time when you welcome and even wish for death.
Your friends might be dead, your peers might be dead, your body is almost disfunctional, perhaps you are in a lot of pain. Maybe you have seen everything that you are capable of seeing, maybe there are no places you can go with your fragile body. Slowly as the years come by you will pick up some niggles here some pains there. Getting out of bed might be a struggle, swallowing might be a struggle, walking might be a struggle. You might look back on your life and feel happy, a sense of achievement and look forward and see nothing more for you. You may welcome death.

Death isn't the worst thing that can happen.
That is possible, but my current self can't imagine myself being in a situation where I would choose death over trying to live. I'm sure there might be some horrible scenario where somebody is peeling my skin and fingernails off where in the moment I would want the pain to stop. but outside of edge cases like that I don't see a failing body, loneliness, grief, or a mundane life being enough to make me want to choose death. I just can't imagine myself saying, "Well, time to stop thinking."

As Dom said...maybe when I'm older my perspective will be completely different. But I'm not older, so I really can't say.

12-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Aren't most fears related to our aversion to death? Obviously there is the standard "fear of my loved ones getting hurt." But a person with a fear of flying, or a fear of insects, or a fear or spiders, or a fear of the dark.

It's so interesting that the fear of death is being swept away by so many of you. Like, "meh, whatever it's going to happen." It just seems so...un-intuitive to not be fearful of the end of your life.

Could it have anything to do with once believing in hell? Since *nothingness* is better than *eternal torture* does it comfort you that it's just *nothingness*? Whereas for me nothingness is terrifying. Every ounce of me says to keep existing, no matter what.

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
12-11-2015, 02:20 PM
(12-11-2015 01:20 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  It's so interesting that the fear of death is being swept away by so many of you. Like, "meh, whatever it's going to happen." It just seems so...un-intuitive to not be fearful of the end of your life.

Why should I be? It's not reasonable.