Poll: Does death scare you?
Yes, I think about it all the time.
Yes, but I rarely think about it.
Yes, I believe the afterlife will be worse than this life.
No, we are all stardust we will just go back to being stardust.
No, I wasn't alive before I was born, so I'm sure it won't bother me too much when I'm dead.
No, I believe the afterlife will be better than this life.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 04:20 PM
RE: Death
(12-11-2015 03:55 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 02:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  No. You're letting fear control you. You're not overcoming the fear.
Here's a question. Does the concept of one day possibly having dementia and not being able to remember who the people you currently care about are scare you at all (that is, the thought of yourself being in that state)?

If so, when you are in that state you might not be aware that you are missing any memories at all. The way I see it is...just because when you are in that state you aren't aware of the negative affects that make you want to *not* be in that state..doesn't mean your current self (who is not in that state) has no reason to be afraid of being in that state.

My fear of death is similar (although, much worse as I think dementia is much better than death). I know while I am in that state I won't be aware of it (or of anything). But I fear being in that state because that means what I have now (life) will be over. I fear not "having" life.

That being said, like I've said before it's not like I sit around and think about this or even get sad over it. There is no point in dwelling on something that is inevitable. But even though I don't actively let it worry me, that doesn't mean the concept of my death doesn't scare me.

I have watched some family members in the transition from mentally sound to dementia. The process is gradual and they were aware of it. Their emotions included anger and fear - it is not pleasant, it's a hard way to go.

If that happens to me, it will be in that transition period that I check out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
(12-11-2015 04:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 03:55 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Here's a question. Does the concept of one day possibly having dementia and not being able to remember who the people you currently care about are scare you at all (that is, the thought of yourself being in that state)?

If so, when you are in that state you might not be aware that you are missing any memories at all. The way I see it is...just because when you are in that state you aren't aware of the negative affects that make you want to *not* be in that state..doesn't mean your current self (who is not in that state) has no reason to be afraid of being in that state.

My fear of death is similar (although, much worse as I think dementia is much better than death). I know while I am in that state I won't be aware of it (or of anything). But I fear being in that state because that means what I have now (life) will be over. I fear not "having" life.

That being said, like I've said before it's not like I sit around and think about this or even get sad over it. There is no point in dwelling on something that is inevitable. But even though I don't actively let it worry me, that doesn't mean the concept of my death doesn't scare me.

I have watched some family members in the transition from mentally sound to dementia. The process is gradual and they were aware of it. Their emotions included anger and fear - it is not pleasant, it's a hard way to go.

If that happens to me, it will be in that transition period that I check out.

Dementia is a horrible thing, I have also watched. You vacillate back and forth between being aware of everything and blanking out. People lash out at their loved ones in anger and next thing withdraw crying and then shit on the carpet (literally). No one can live with that for an extended period of time so the demented person ends up in a care facility where they slowly slip into a catatonic state interspersed with wake times.

I had an aunt with early onset dementia who spent 40 years laying on her back in a sterile room being fed intravenously. When you visited her, she had no reaction whatsoever until you started to leave and said good bye. Then tears rolled down her cheeks. Unaware? Questionable at best. A fate very much worse than death me thinks.

I most certainly will choose to exit in the transition period also, as Chas said.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
I wasn't sure how to vote: I'm not afraid of being dead....I'm in the stardust camp in that regard. Well, I will eventually be dust....hoping for the pretty glint-y kind that I imagine, rather than just dirt. lol

But I do worry about the ramifications of my death more than anything. I want my children to be self sufficient adults before their parents start kicking the bucket, ya know?

And I worry about HOW. is it gonna hurt? will it be a snake bite or a semi or just old age? agony in a bed for years? ugh.

but the being dead part...I'm ok, I know I won't know when I'm there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Why should death scare me? I'm already dead.

#sigh
12-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Death
(12-11-2015 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why should death scare me? I'm already dead.

We're not talking about your nuts.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
12-11-2015, 07:21 PM
(12-11-2015 07:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why should death scare me? I'm already dead.

We're not talking about your nuts.

That ... is just ... fucking brilliant. Bravo. I knew there was a reason I like you. Big Grin

#sigh
12-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Death
(12-11-2015 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 07:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  We're not talking about your nuts.

That ... is just ... fucking brilliant. Bravo. I knew there was a reason I like you. Big Grin

Someone has to pick on you.
12-11-2015, 07:34 PM
(12-11-2015 07:29 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 07:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That ... is just ... fucking brilliant. Bravo. I knew there was a reason I like you. Big Grin

Someone has to pick on you.

It's the way you fondle and tickle my testicles I like best. No homo.

#sigh
12-11-2015, 09:50 PM
(12-11-2015 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  There comes a time in life when you get tired. Your body gets tired, that is. In your mind you are still 30, but when you try to move the bed, you realize that your body isn't functioning the way it used to. You die very, very slowly, just by function after function becoming unavailable.

That is how you die when you get old, little by little, piece by piece. That is why old folks talk so much about their ailments - it starts to dominate your life. Your body is in decline. Ailments that didn't mean much when you were young because your body just repaired itself are now suddenly permanent or even life threatening.

Nobody much cares about old people these days, they are a burden and are sent to places where they are left to die among strangers who may or may not be friendly or compassionate.

That is a fate I will avoid at all cost. When my body starts to be unable to care for itself, rather than throw myself at the mercy of strangers, I will exit.

You think about death like it occurred all of a sudden, at your present age. Of course you don't want that, you are young and strong (yes you are strong, even if you are the weakest among your peers you are strong in the eyes of an older person). You can't see death the way a person whose body has aged will see it.

At some point it all becomes about a full life well lived and an exit that heads off impending misery. What you consider misery of course varies from person to person.

There's a hell of a lot of wisdom in these words.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Not worried about death, talk about it a lot, and I tell everyone (including randomly my boss today) that life is short so "eat dessert first"