Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Death
I was sitting here today looking at facebook, and saw probably a dozen reposts of a picture thing related to mothers who have died and are in heaven posted by my friends. I found it sad in a way, they've lost their mother, some were still young (like 20 something) others are old enough that it's not that unexpected. It's one of those points and times when I have no desire to say anything to them about religion or anything--just because I know it gives them comfort, even if all evidence leads to it being misplaced.

But it does make me wonder something: People/churches/religion says some go to hell. So.... why is it people say this, yet it seems whenever they die they're "in heaven"?

Now don't get me wrong, I know there's parts involved such as not saying ill of the dead and all that (which I personally say if they were a racist jerk who beat women when they were alive, saying they were a racist jerk who beat women when they're dead is acceptable--there's no defence for the truth so to speak). I knew a man who was basically a "evil" man (member of the KKK, tried to shoot the "non caucasian/straight" people), spoke out against them, etc--when he died, he went to heaven!

I guess my real point is more like this, do people think of hell as a threat in life, do it or else you'll burn forever! Yet then when you die they become "well, they're really in heaven" because they can't bear the thought of them actually being tortured for eternity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 03:08 PM
RE: Death
Usually when people say that they're in heaven is because they are relatives or friends. It's rarely ever to someone that's been really bad. If that person is really bad, I do hear people saying that they're in hell and show no remorse. They don't really care about what they've said.

I don't think people realise what they mean by 'hell'. It's an evil concept.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
[+] 1 user Likes ALovelyChickenMan's post
13-05-2012, 03:25 PM
My mother-in-law is an evangelical (even believes in talking in tongues) and her father committed suicide. She apparently wrestled with this very concept for quite a while because she believed suicide equalled a one-way ticket to hell, and more recently her son (a heroin addict) committed suicide too (a few months ago, the night my son was born for those who know of my thread about that). She struggled about thinking of them as in hell and has now found a way of thinking they are in heaven or are at least not in hell. This seems to be a new trend in trying to find a way out of the hole "eternal punishment" bit (also see Egor's thread about his views on death).

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-05-2012, 03:26 PM
We need to replace this with Facebook pages of people who have gone into cryonic suspension. I have met the following people who have done that, and I got to know a few of them fairly well:

Jerry Leaf.

Mae Ettinger.

Robert Ettinger.

David Zubkoff.

Thomas Donaldson.

FM-2030.

Jackson Zinn.

Wesley DuCharme.

Paul Garfield.

Eventually I will join them:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60971827/Mark-...n-Cryonics
13-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Hell is a middle age concept. I for one don't believe in either heaven or Hell. The concept of hell came from Dante's Inferno. I am sure it has allot of plagiarism from Egypt too.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
14-05-2012, 01:52 AM

If consciousness is non-emergent, that is if it isn't produced by the brain, there's no reason to think there's any big change at death, just as we don't think it any big change when we fall asleep or wake up.

As you all know, I was a big fan of hell--still am!--unfortunately, I just don't believe in it anymore. At least not in the traditional sense. I've gone back to my roots: reincarnation is hell.

If I lost a loved one, I'd want to believe that they were able to remain on their lucid spiritual plane, since that is the next step toward a union with the Divine.
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Egor, you should be writing novels. You take random thoughts, embellish around them until they seem real to you and build lives on them. Ought to be a good basis for writing novels.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-05-2012, 06:49 AM
(13-05-2012 01:51 PM)elemts Wrote:  I guess my real point is more like this, do people think of hell as a threat in life, do it or else you'll burn forever! Yet then when you die they become "well, they're really in heaven" because they can't bear the thought of them actually being tortured for eternity?
When you're lying to yourself about reality, why not tell yourself exactly what you want to hear?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
14-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I was thinking, ya know it's not really up to them to decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, isn't that what God gets paid for?
"She's gone to heaven"
"oh you witnessed it did you? have a private convo with God? slip God a few G's under the table?"

I'm so writing in my will that anybody that says "he's with God now" or anything of the like at my funeral be immediately shot.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-05-2012, 08:07 AM
(13-05-2012 01:51 PM)elemts Wrote:  I was sitting here today looking at facebook...

There's your whole problem.

Death is just a word that means not living, and if you're focused on it, that's what yer doing. Not living. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post