Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Death
Sorry for the dramatic title, but it's appropriate.

Memorial Day got me thinking about my eventual headstone. As an Army vet, I'll likely end up buried in a Veteran's Cemetary, so I started thinking about what I want on that headstone...

I retired my former blog, starting anew on Wordpress:

http://seanasbury.wordpress.com/2012/05/...houghts-4/

Comments/feedback always welcome Smile

Cheers, Sean

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 08:21 PM
RE: Death
I once walked through a very old cemetery. As I looked at the headstones it struck me as quite silly. These people are dead. They have no idea who I am, or that I'm here, or if anyone is reading their meaningless names carved into a rock. What a waste of effort keeping the place up. I certainly don't want to be a burden on the living after I'm dead.

A Green burial for me. No headstone. Just me and the worms. Eat me baby. I'm just so tasty.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
30-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't feel a need to prove to future generations that I was here. Cremate me and if possible, take me back to the Outer Banks and scatter my ashes.

I don't want one day for my kids to feel guilty that they haven't been to my grave in however long. I don't make a point to visit graves...I do have a picture of one grandfather's headstone that is etched with his favorite saying "You Better Believe It".

This is a pic from the internet, too lazy to go scan mine right now.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Too bad this can't be your headstone emblem...
[Image: davinci1.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-05-2012, 08:40 PM
If I were a veteran and had a gravestone, I'd want it to be possible to not have any theist or non theist markings. Although that is a part of me, it is not the definition. A tree or shooting star would be cool, though.
30-05-2012, 08:43 PM
For many years I felt the same about cremation and not taking up space. The older I get, I find my mind changing...

It's kind of cool, when doing geanology research, to find the gravesite of an ancestor - that, more than anything, has a lot to do with it...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
30-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Good luck with the new blog Seasbury, and glad to hear that you've come to terms with death.

As for me, I just want to make sure I save up enough money for the premium plan:
http://theunconverted.com/what-a-digital...look-like/

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
31-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Old bones, tombstones, graves and funerals really bug me so I have opted for body donation with cremation down the track. Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
31-05-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm thinking of becoming fossilized after I die. Just need to find the right spot.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-05-2012, 04:16 AM
What the transplant doctors leave gets cremated.

No headstone, but if someone wishes to remember me in a fitting way I would like a seat in the botanical gardens donated with a plaque with something on the lines of “sit, relax & enjoy, our opportunities to do so can be fleeting”

No “in memory of” those who need to know will, and others can sit and relax with out being guilted to remember those they never knew.

I quite like the atomic symbol for atheism though, fitting on many levels.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche