Yes.
No.
[Show Results]

Death Omens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Death Omens
This evening my girlfriend's grandfather died and as a result, death related topics have arisen. This includes one that drives me mad. My girlfriend and her mother are not religious, my girlfriend being an atheist, but they are both quite superstitious which sometimes drives me up the wall.

So in their discussion, my gf mentioned how a bird flew into our window the other morning to which she is now seeing as a death omen. Right now, the two of them are discussing all of the kamikaze birds that coincide with deaths in their family and I can only sit there and nod.

I hate superstitions, they are so pointless and subjective and just plain irrational! For years now, whenever something bad happens, I have to listen to my gf tell me that it happened because I spilled the salt or a black cat walked by or the dog farted or something stupid and unrelated.

Anyone else get this annoyed at superstitious nonsense outside of religion? Or are you, despite your rational attitude towards religion, a superstitious person?
Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2010, 03:23 PM
RE: Death Omens
Personally, I reject any claim of the supernatural. Show me some decent evidence and I may change my tune, but until then, it's all bullshit. That includes ESP, ghosts, omens, religion, and all other fairy tales.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Bullshit exists, but that's natural.

Quote:Anyone else get this annoyed at superstitious nonsense outside of religion?
Yes. If you don't become an atheist through reasoning, but through something else, you won't necessarily get rid of supernatural beliefs.

I don't think anything can exist outside existance, and if anything that's called supernatural today is proven tomorrow, it has to be natural since it exists, so it won't be a supernatural thing anymore.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
31-12-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm not superstitious at all, and never understood how anyone could believe in those things.
31-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't believe in a God, I can not believe in an imaginary friend, I can not believe in telepathically communicating with a mute, and I can not believe in ghosts (holy or otherwise). I couldn't see myself being superstitious given this premise.
01-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Used to be superstitious but I am no longer so.

(31-12-2010 04:33 PM)mBear Wrote:  I'm not superstitious at all, and never understood how anyone could believe in those things.

It's a mindset.Once you have a supernatural filter in your mind any information gets processed through it.If you rely on on faith almost anything goes and few people can tell the difference between correlation and causation.
01-01-2011, 06:49 AM
I took me a while to get rid of superstition. It creeped up on me!
eg: I am a technician. When I open a machine to repair it I got a feeling sometimes that, should i close it before i test it, it does not work and have to open it up again.
one can to two things in that case...

1: Always leave the machine open to "fool the spirits of superstition". In that case you risk of becoming more superstitious and a slave of irrational deeds.

2: What I did: Always CLOSE the machine and keep track on several times is does work from the first time. In that way you are "giving the spirits of superstition the finger" Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-01-2011, 09:24 AM
By the way:
"'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.'" - Leviticus 20:27

God doesn't like competing bullshit artists. Tongue

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-01-2011, 10:06 AM

(01-01-2011 09:24 AM)Kikko Wrote:  By the way:
"'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.'" - Leviticus 20:27

God doesn't like competing bullshit artists. Tongue

LOL! Tongue
04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to only be superstitious about hockey games Tongue One evening when my roommate was watching a Sens vs Penguins game, I decided to watch it with her. As soon as I walked in, Pittsburgh scored. I left the room for a snack or something, and when I came back in, they scored again. Anyways, after another goal by Pittsburgh, my roommate kicked me out of the room 'cause I was causing her team to lose (despite the fact that I was cheering for her team) and apparently they were doing well before I started watching.

I also used to wear an old Vancouver jersey whenever the Canucks were playing, hoping that it would help them win. Then I tried not wearing it. After a bit, I realised that I had absolutely no effect on the outcomes of the games and that I was being ridiculous. It is completely vain to think that I have any effect on the hard work and effort of the players and their coaching staff.

So, no, I don't get annoyed at superstition, 'cause I can understand the underlying mechanisms, but I think I would if despite observing evidence to the contrary (such as my jersey example) people were still superstitious. If someone denies blatant evidence of any kind, I get annoyed >.<

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula