Yes.
No.
[Show Results]

Death Omens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM

RE: Death Omens
I'm not stupidstitous but i do believe in mother-earth... shes way more tangible then some cranky old white guy in the sky and is far more likely to get rid of all of us when she is sick of us or we piss her off.
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 11:42 AM

While I personally do not immediately rule out the idea of stuff like ghosts and whatnot because i like to keep an open mind about those things, but I'm not going to live my life in fear of it like a Christian who would live his life in fear of hell.

Coincidences exist, I'm not sure why people have to let shit hit the fan when "Holy shit, I stepped on a crack and my Mom got horribly mutilated!"
07-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I remember when I was a kid, another kid told me that the myth "stepping on a spider will make it rain," was true because he once stepped on a spider and it started to rain right away. I told him it was going to start raining any way. He didn't agree with me. I had stepped on spiders many times when I was a kid and it didn't rain.

When it comes to belief, the one time that seems to confirm a belief outweighs the thousands of times that prove it wrong.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
A bird flew into my window while I was feeding my recently dead great grandma's black cat on the 6th of June 2006.

Seriously it did. And I'm still alive ;P

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
08-01-2011, 10:06 AM

With superstitions, a logical fallacy springs to mind:

confusing cause and effect (post hoc ergo propter hoc)

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/post-hoc.html

and confirmation bias
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
By what mechanism does this superstition actually work? I am going to start using this question when someone tells me something is true.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
(08-01-2011 05:54 PM)No J. Wrote:  By what mechanism does this superstition actually work? I am going to start using this question when someone tells me something is true.

No point. They just respond with "I don't know, but that doesn't matter".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-01-2011, 01:23 AM
(12-01-2011 04:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(08-01-2011 05:54 PM)No J. Wrote:  By what mechanism does this superstition actually work? I am going to start using this question when someone tells me something is true.

No point. They just respond with "I don't know, but that doesn't matter".

That is my cue to leave the conversation because I realize that I am dealing with someone who refuses to think.

15-01-2011, 11:22 PM

From a biological standpoint, superstitious thoughts could be related to OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) or other related anxiety problems involving an imbalance in dopamine and serotonin. So before you get mad at them for silly ideas, perhaps you should recommend they go on Prozac. Tongue
16-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Death omen? Realizing that your are about to cross the tracks, the train is coming fast and you don't have time to stop or to cross the tracks before the train hits your car. That I would consider a death omen.