Death and dying.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 09:41 AM by bemore.)
Death and dying.
Seeing as we have been discussing a lot of things to do with death and killing and wether it is right or wrong I thought it would be interesting to talk about death.

Some people fear it....others deny it....some try to defeat it but we all have one intimate thing in common and that is we are all going to die one day.

Im sure we have all pondered death at some time in our lifes...through either communicating it or through experiencing it directly by losing loved ones like family and friends. It is one of those ultimate mysterys that I suppose none of us can answer. You hear a lot of different things off people who have either come
close to dying or have died and then been brought back to life. Things like your life flashing before your eyes.....seeing a light at the end of a tunnel....or being met by loved ones.

Religion has tried to put an explanation to it and today science trys to answer it. Even in doing so though there has been no real "universal" way to explain what happens to you when you die.

In the early years of my life I believed that when you died that was it.....your brain shuts down and you are simply no more. I suppose if this was the case then a lot of people would see this in different ways.
Throughout my life I have had some real tough times.....so I suppose my view of dying was quite comforting at that time, that is It would be a welcome escape from what I saw as a hell hole....a cruel and uncaring world. During the times in my life when I have been happy and fullfilled this theory of there being nothing at the end of our journeys can seem quite depressing, that you can live and die for potentially nothing really.
It can seem that life could be quite pointless......but on the other hand then if this could be proved as fact then I suppose it could make you appreciate life and the time you have even more.....and give you a new respect for living things.

Over the last couple of years I have been on a lot of ghost hunts and used to belong to a group that organised them....I was like the rational sceptic, because im not sensitive to spirit or psychic as much as the other people I attend with I have allways tried to find logic and rationalise.....whereas the people who I was with had "faith" that such things exist and would be adament that almost everything we experience on these events were paranormal. This to me is slightly dangerous as like I have just said they would attribute certain things to spirit straight away..almost like a blind faith..whereas I would be more open minded and try to look for an explanation. I am going to make another thread where I recount some of what I have experienced as I am allways interested in hearing other peopls storys and experiences as well.

I think to have some belief in something after death can bring you comfort.....the opposite of my old view about there being nothing. Needless to say because of all the weird and unexplainable things I have experienced myself I am starting to believe that there could be something after death..even though I cant explain anything rationally or use science to prove it....I do wonder why ghosts and spirits are painted to be bad and "evil" in modern day society. Dont get mw wrong I have had some bad experiences with spirit but overall these are a very small minority.

So what do you peeps think of death???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
RE: Death and dying.
I think that when you die it is the end. You no longer exist. Kinda like you have no experience of anything that happened before you were born and you didn't have any awareness of the several million years beforehand. I think you return to that state.

I cannot decide if I think that it is a good thing. Sometimes I think I would go mad with boredom is I had to live forever, sometimes I hate the idea of not knowing what becomes of the world after I die. It depends on what mood I'm in.

I think that most people believe in life after death for one of two reasons;

1) Desire to live forever/fear of dying
2) The inability of the human mind to comprehend a state non-existence

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM

bemore, you may want to review my old thread on "On Death and Dying" -- there is more food for thought there.

It was before you joined, that is why you missed it. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Doesn't exist. Big Grin

The simple consideration is this: Am I dead? No? Doesn't exist. It's not a comfort as it doesn't matter either way. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 03:00 PM
(10-11-2011 09:49 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  bemore, you may want to review my old thread on "On Death and Dying" -- there is more food for thought there.

Sjo, Zatamon... your two posts in that thread are just beautiful... that is exactly, exactly right Smile It's... ah man... you've made me happy today.

Death... is an end. I spent a large part of my teenage years extremely depressed because of this. I couldn't bear the thought of dying... now... I don't mind. I'll live my life and do my best, and when the time comes - well, I don't plan to go without a fight Tongue but when I do finally die, I'll be OK.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM
(10-11-2011 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 09:49 AM)Zatamon Wrote:  bemore, you may want to review my old thread on "On Death and Dying" -- there is more food for thought there.

Sjo, Zatamon... your two posts in that thread are just beautiful... that is exactly, exactly right Smile It's... ah man... you've made me happy today.

Death... is an end. I spent a large part of my teenage years extremely depressed because of this. I couldn't bear the thought of dying... now... I don't mind. I'll live my life and do my best, and when the time comes - well, I don't plan to go without a fight Tongue but when I do finally die, I'll be OK.

Cats like Zat make TTA - well, TTA. Wink

10-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I too believe that when you die you simply cease to exist. This quite honestly scares the shit out of me. I wish I could think like Mark Twain, "I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't inconvenience me one bit". Unfortunately the thought of nothing, literally nothing, is not too comforting. And to think I will never see my children or wife again is an extremely sad thought. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of the delusional religious. My damn logic won't let me though.
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
(10-11-2011 06:33 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I too believe that when you die you simply cease to exist. This quite honestly scares the shit out of me. I wish I could think like Mark Twain, "I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't inconvenience me one bit". Unfortunately the thought of nothing, literally nothing, is not too comforting. And to think I will never see my children or wife again is an extremely sad thought. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be one of the delusional religious. My damn logic won't let me though.

You are committing sin - letting the monkey run the simulator. You are existing, trying to imagine not existing; that is fail.

Love is Void. Ever see the Void? Beauty beyond imagination. Fear is only allowed when it is constructive - thus speaks the voice of evolution. Wink

10-11-2011, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 07:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-11-2011 06:33 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I too believe that when you die you simply cease to exist. This quite honestly scares the shit out of me.

I became convinced early on that my highest priority metaphysical task was to not let that scare the shit out of me, but rather embrace and revel in my impermanence and temporariness.

(10-11-2011 06:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You are committing sin - letting the monkey run the simulator. You are existing, trying to imagine not existing; that is fail.

Love is Void. Ever see the Void? Beauty beyond imagination. Fear is only allowed when it is constructive - thus speaks the voice of evolution. Wink

HoC and I share a similar vision. I've seen the brink of the abyss and retreated. It should only be visited occasionally on an as needed basis, "Time to go camping kids!". HoC, on the other hand, has seen the beauty, relates it to us as Gwynnies, and has decided to pitch tent there.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2011, 07:28 PM
(10-11-2011 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 06:33 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I too believe that when you die you simply cease to exist. This quite honestly scares the shit out of me.

I became convinced early on that my highest priority metaphysical task was to not let that scare the shit out of me, but rather embrace and revel in my impermanence and temporariness.

(10-11-2011 06:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You are committing sin - letting the monkey run the simulator. You are existing, trying to imagine not existing; that is fail.

HoC and I share a similar vision. I've seen the brink of the abyss and retreated. It should only be visited occasionally on an as needed basis, "Time to go camping kids!". HoC, on the other hand, has seen the beauty, relates it to us as Gwynnies, and has decided to pitch tent there.

Thanks, bro.

Wassat? More evidence of the ascension of the amo ergo sum over the cognito ergo sum.

I have gone beyond the kool-aid. I don't preach a gospel of death, I live the gospel of life. Wink