Death and dying.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 11:04 PM
RE: Death and dying.
(10-11-2011 07:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wassat? More evidence of the ascension of the amo ergo sum over the cognito ergo sum.

I have gone beyond the kool-aid. I don't preach a gospel of death, I live the gospel of life. Wink

amo ergo sum is self-evident to me, cognito ergo sum is not.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Pure nothingness. Aaaaah bliss Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
(10-11-2011 11:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2011 07:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wassat? More evidence of the ascension of the amo ergo sum over the cognito ergo sum.

I have gone beyond the kool-aid. I don't preach a gospel of death, I live the gospel of life. Wink

amo ergo sum is self-evident to me, cognito ergo sum is not.
I have found it to be a question of identity. Was commenting on youtube vids the other night when I went "straight off" on a video of "one of the premier thinkers on consciousness;" some Australian dude. (Forgot his name -asked on a couple if he was an atheist - if he is, I'll remember next time. Big Grin )

My "proof" was "my Gwynnie arts," of which a boatload of peeps stated "I can see the love..." That's me, Identified; love. Can't ask for more than that, I'm thinking; don't know why I keep waking up in the morning - Gwyneth Paltrow prolly has actual faith that I will "save humanity" for her. I still don't know what that means; nobody is getting "saved," everybody is getting loved... I'll keep writing stuff and strive to minimize the literary train-wreck. Wink
(10-11-2011 11:10 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Pure nothingness. Aaaaah bliss Sleepy
There's an atheist. Big Grin

Mucho hombres don't like "nothingness;" personally, I fell out of oblivion coupla times. Asked myself, "...and why did come back, again?" Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Perhaps someday I'll get to the point of, "Oh well who gives a shit." Trust me I don't lay awake at night worrying about death but occassionally the thought will creep into my head. And when it does and I realize I will never again see my family, ooohh that freaks me out. In the meantime my my Twain mantra does help, "I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't inconveneince me one bit. I was dead for billions . . . . "
11-11-2011, 07:22 AM
(10-11-2011 07:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't preach a gospel of death, I live the gospel of life. Wink

I love that man. Just love it. Well said.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Before I learned much about the brain and came to the conclusion that the most likely scenario will be "mere oblivion" (to quote Shakespeare Tongue), I was terrified of what might happen to me after I died. Unlike probably a lot of people on this forum, I was never taught to believe in any particular afterlife (about the only influence that my parents had was my mom mentioning something about her not believing in hell). So, I had a plethora of options to choose from: Hades, Tartarus, heaven, reincarnation, nothingness, etc. My problem was that I had no criteria from which to narrow down my scope. So I didn't know what to believe. The not knowing was scarier for me than was probably rational, but like I said, I had no way of knowing.

That is, until I learned about the brain, and became a critical-thinking sceptic. Now, depending on my mood, the thought of oblivion after death comforts me in a way because ultimately, it won't really matter how good or crappy my life is because I won't remember any of it postmortem. However, I'd like to have a happy life to look back on when I get older, so that's my goal ^.^ Plus, I just want to enjoy the time that I have. But the downside of all this reality is that when I've had a stressful week, my fore-brain sometimes thinks "What's the point of living if I'm never going to remember this after I'm dead?", but then the mammalian part of my brain exercises its survival instinct and admonishes me for thinking such anti-evolutionary thoughts Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
12-11-2011, 03:18 AM
(11-11-2011 09:30 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  admonishes me for thinking such anti-evolutionary thoughts Tongue

It's a reactionary counter-evolutionist intellectual Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
I’ve been very close to it. Scary? Yea, I was in pain and had a pretty good idea what was next.
Blood clot in the frontal lobe, not a pleasant experience…
But I didn’t get the rerun of my life up to that point.
Very grateful for it too!

My poor wife, one of the last coherent things I said to her was “I’m not being hooked up to a machine”
So much for “there are no atheists in fox holes”

It is what it is though, you run out of luck/years/skill or health and its game over man, game over.
Into the oblivion you go
Once it’s over, it’s over, so enjoy it while it lasts because it may be very short.

But would you want to still go on in some other plane? Knowing your loved ones have been left behind and you can’t see them again until they die?
Or maybe not even then?
An eternity of missing your earthly partner… That would be the hell we get threatened with.

We morn for our dead, I don’t want our dead morning for us.
That would be too cruel.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
12-11-2011, 10:04 PM

(12-11-2011 07:30 AM)Karl Wrote:  But would you want to still go on in some other plane? Knowing your loved ones have been left behind and you can’t see them again until they die?

Or maybe not even then? An eternity of missing your earthly partner… That would be the hell we get threatened with.

We morn for our dead, I don’t want our dead morning for us.
That would be too cruel.

Very well said, Karl! Smile

What a thought -- shivers up and down my spine!
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
(12-11-2011 07:30 AM)Karl Wrote:  But would you want to still go on in some other plane? Knowing your loved ones have been left behind and you can’t see them again until they die?
I do not intend to "belittle" another's experience; not at all. If any think "prophet of god" is a "know-it-all/fun" kinda job opportunity, I recommend a reading of Ezekiel. I know what I know; no one else can be this I, and if part of me was once part of Ezekiel, that is purely a mathematical possibility.

Nothing other than love makes me speak on this topic. I can love everyone, I have found; there is no requirement that love be returned because it is unconditional. The condition is mine - that I "assume" fear of death, and seek to calm such fear with the certainty of my love - entirely my "error."

This is the entirety of my gospel: beyond the threshold of eternity is beauty for all.

From what I remember, ten years ago and walking towards the light; was beginning to forget Gwyneth Paltrow. I came back with that consideration; that the actual crossing is a realization of what we are, and temporal considerations simply do not apply. Those words are 9 - a valentine - that to come back, that to live, that to fight that dusty ol' fuck death tooth and claw - that is your evolutionary imperative.

As an atheist with zero pews to fill, zero gods to impress, zero certainty of my absolute right; the last thing I would ask of my fellow man is simply not to fear, and think of 9.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user