Death and dying.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 11:42 AM
RE: Death and dying.
I think, like many have posted on here, that it is like before you was born. A thousand years ago I didn't exist, I was born around 20 years ago and sometime when I was in the womb I started to exist but was not aware of it until later, now I know of my existence, at sometime I will cease to exist.

This my view based on the evidence I have. I don't find this view in anyway depressing I find it liberating.

Please read my Blog
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence"
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2011, 12:37 PM
The problem with me, is, of course, me. Me ain't been dead. Saw my gramps in the hospital, doing the count down. Was my singular positive male influence in childhood, but he also had emphysema and Christianity. He wanted to go, didn't make no sense to want him to stay. There is a certain callousness, I suppose, in being a mathematician... one day, animated and gramps; the next, inanimate biological waste.

And I wonder, why does atheism generally fail at this particular skepticism? Even if I were to leave my body and enter another, I would contend that the experience was mere simulation; if death is such the inevitable - subjective - conclusion so oft postulated, who is the subject of my reference? If I must postulate that M-theory is currently the best inheritor of the Standard Model's legacy as a function of rational skepticism, why can I not postulate that death is a deception?

(I mean, I do; but it is far to the left of fringe, it seems)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-11-2011, 02:04 PM
(17-11-2011 12:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The problem with me, is, of course, me. Me ain't been dead. Saw my gramps in the hospital, doing the count down. Was my singular positive male influence in childhood, but he also had emphysema and Christianity. He wanted to go, didn't make no sense to want him to stay. There is a certain callousness, I suppose, in being a mathematician... one day, animated and gramps; the next, inanimate biological waste.

And I wonder, why does atheism generally fail at this particular skepticism? Even if I were to leave my body and enter another, I would contend that the experience was mere simulation; if death is such the inevitable - subjective - conclusion so oft postulated, who is the subject of my reference? If I must postulate that M-theory is currently the best inheritor of the Standard Model's legacy as a function of rational skepticism, why can I not postulate that death is a deception?

(I mean, I do; but it is far to the left of fringe, it seems)

We are created from sperm and egg.....our hearts are the first parts of us that grow.......and we have particular energys that can be viewed by Kirlian photography.

Seeing as energy is meant to be indestructable then I have pondered in the past if we dont maybe move on to some other dimensions....(as energy)....like I mention in my OP I have been on many a ghost hunt and seen many strange and unexplainable things. Huh

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
17-11-2011, 02:19 PM
(17-11-2011 02:04 PM)bemore Wrote:  We are created from sperm and egg.....our hearts are the first parts of us that grow.......and we have particular energys that can be viewed by Kirlian photography.

Seeing as energy is meant to be indestructable then I have pondered in the past if we dont maybe move on to some other dimensions....(as energy)....like I mention in my OP I have been on many a ghost hunt and seen many strange and unexplainable things. Huh

Holographic universe postulates an as-of-yet undiscovered "energy" subtler than the electromagnetic...

I am uncertain at this time if my isolation from humanity has allowed for greater vision or greater delusion. The predicted future is a return to Worcester -where I intend to be more human than ever in life. Atheism is my third age; I have never been as social as I am now, and all I am now is potential...

Yet I am the Adversary of death, I do not expect that position to change; the pattern of that particular insanity may have burned in...

18-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I completely agree with Mark Twain:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born,
and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

I am not scared of death, in fact, I am happy that there isn't a divine totalitarian north korea to go to after death, to worship the slightly more egotistical cosmic Kim jong il.
My life is finite, but that adds value to the time I have now. Who cares about this life, if earth is where you wipe your feet before your eternal life with God?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
21-11-2011, 01:58 AM
If I was on the boat drinking with Sam Clemens, I might agree. But seeing as how I am a nobody who may or may not be onto the methodology to move humanity from a Type I civilization to a Type 4, I think I know the problem... Big Grin

It's the same problem; identity. Many identify with history; consider themselves to be of historic import. This fantasy of afterlife only exists to give a certain element a wider perspective. It is evolution. If all it was, was harps and angels for the decedent, the meme would have died out. But it is also the consideration of being able to look down from heaven to monitor the progress of legacy. All a deception, of course. Sola fides.

(seems I picked up a third phrase in a language that's pretty lively for being dead. Tongue)

It's the same problem, duality. Love, and morality. I don't agree with Twain's perspective at all. Philosophy is about truth; the failure of ethics is due to the fact that there is no duality in truth. Mine is the duality - identity - thus I know it is not a function of love alone that I speak against death. It is moral. What other can be the logical extreme of Twain's perspective than to think the world is my oyster? That too is absurd.

Value is the key identity. That if one identifies with Twain and finds value in life, all is tao; but if one identifies with life and finds value in Twain, madness ensues.

Me and my Gwynnies are still working on it. Wink