Death and the Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Death and the Law
(24-08-2013 09:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I was watching an old episode of Amazing Stories on Netflix recently. In it, a prisoner on death row (Patrick Swayze) is given the miraculous power to heal people after a freak accident during a prison escape attempt. After he is executed, all the people he helped in life lay hands on him and resurrect him back to life. Upon seeing the convict alive and well the warden of the prison wonders aloud "what do we do now?"

Death can only be declared by a medical doctor, at which time they issue a death certificate to the state dept if health declaring the individual deceased. Once this is done the person is, at least legally, dead.

But supposing a person was reanimated after this happened. I know this is very implausible. The electrochemical activity of the brain is currently impossible to restart once it ceases, it would require an organism wide repair and restoration of the cellular necropsy, etc. But suppose it happened or it could be done. What would the reanimated person's legal status be?

Since the person is legally dead but biologically alive and aware, it places them in a strange legal realm in that they don't exist. They have no means of identification, no family or next of kin, no property, no money. And, most of all no means to acquire any of the above.

In addition, as they don't legally exist, what are their rights? Are they still declared human? Would they have to develop a new identity with the state to acquire this?

Currently medicine cannot reverse death, but it's believed the day will come when it will.

Just google zombie case law.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 04:41 AM
RE: Death and the Law
(24-08-2013 09:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  What would the reanimated person's legal status be?

Son of God!

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply