Death anf Non-Self.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 12:31 AM by Mr Woof.)
Death anf Non-Self.
In Christianity it is generally held by most Churches that the soul/personality continues in a familial status for eternity. In other words our present self,spouse, siblings, friends etc are somehow linked in this Heavenly scenario, or locked in.Clearly the fact that there is ongoing change (childhood, teen years, middle age, old age etc) in the material world negates this absurd proposition.

The Hindu religion holds that by the law of cause and effect (karma) the soul or monad experientially learns better ways by being born again within a multitude of wombs; thus by travelling womb to womb, higher transcendental knowledge is acquired leading to higher states and perhaps Nirvana. It is held by some that there is NO ULTIMATE state, and this being so, Nirvana would be yet another stepping stone. While there are many problems inherent in this approach it seem superior to the Christian one life then the judgement theory.

In Buddhism we are offered yet another choice known as rebirth. Often confused with reincarnation, rebirth teaches non self or anatta (no self) a condition seemingly far more nuanced than reincarnation in that the mechanistic nature of a continuum of human lives is not held. What then continues? If the only real? deal is the flow of life of which we are a part can our being, seen as such a contributor be part of something beyond our present cognitive abilities to recognize, though still real in terms of the big picture?

WEstern atheists tend only to consider Judaeo/Christianity, and in terms of infinity and turning to the East can any credence be placed in contemplating after lives, minus personal identity as we know it, but flavoured by aspects of such, or is this all far too cute? Consider Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
RE: Death anf Non-Self.
I think we can put all of it in the category of, "Just made up ideas to explain a complicated world that we fear and want to have some control over".
Accepting Nihilism and deciding to make the best of it all is the real deal.
Take time every day to enjoy yourself.
Find a profession that you love to do.
Live in the present, not in the future or the past.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM
All that after death stuff assumes living can be done wrong. It's a marketing scam, no more.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
(07-06-2012 08:52 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I think we can put all of it in the category of, "Just made up ideas to explain a complicated world that we fear and want to have some control over".
Accepting Nihilism and deciding to make the best of it all is the real deal.
Take time every day to enjoy yourself.
Find a profession that you love to do.
Live in the present, not in the future or the past.

One CAN Cool enjoy oneself by obliquely looking to finite possibilities rather than accepting that this secular existence is all that there potentially is on offer. As an agnostic I am not locked in by secularism or religion and can ponder on, while enjoying material things as I see fit.
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
(07-06-2012 10:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  All that after death stuff assumes living can be done wrong. It's a marketing scam, no more.

Religions are often a scam, free thinking is a priviledge.................... Smile
07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Buddhism's my favourite scam Smile such good feelings when forcing the brain into a meditative high Big Grin Big Grin Lovey dovey!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-06-2012, 12:30 AM
(07-06-2012 10:32 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Buddhism's my favourite scam Smile such good feelings when forcing the brain into a meditative high Big Grin Big Grin Lovey dovey!

Hi L.J.

Must admit I'm not a good meditator, but I keep trying. Glad to hear you get something out of it. Yes
08-06-2012, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 10:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-06-2012 10:32 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Buddhism's my favourite scam Smile such good feelings when forcing the brain into a meditative high Big Grin Big Grin Lovey dovey!

It's my favorite too! Buddhism's like the only scam even worth my attention.Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
09-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Ive posted before about my working visit at a buddhist center........ I was meant to stay for a week but I could only hack 3 days.

This is the website for where I stopped....................... http://www.tarakmc.org/
and these are the photos I took whilst I was there........ http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...8e1f8f5bfe

All religions are hippocritical and I thought buddhism would be different......... I was wrong bigtime.

The "wheel of dharma" is basicly just another version of sin....... except the rules are slightly more slacker (Like if you become a fully fledged hardcore buddhist then you have to become a vegetarian....... in the belief of re-incarnation they wish not to kill an animal which in a previous life may have been one of your relatives........ HOWEVER when buddhist go round "begging" with there amish dish.......OR...... you get offered meat....... then not to "offend" you are allowed to eat it........ OR ..... Its acceptable if you say extra prayers)

What I would like to know is how do these people who actually say this shit (annata in particular) know this??? They dont...... they have not experienced it themselves so yet again we have to fall upon "faith" Rolleyes

I suppose we will all find out one day............. Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 10:57 PM by Mr Woof.)
(09-06-2012 06:58 AM)bemore Wrote:  Ive posted before about my working visit at a buddhist center........ I was meant to stay for a week but I could only hack 3 days.

This is the website for where I stopped....................... http://www.tarakmc.org/
and these are the photos I took whilst I was there........ http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...8e1f8f5bfe

All religions are hippocritical and I thought buddhism would be different......... I was wrong bigtime.

The "wheel of dharma" is basicly just another version of sin....... except the rules are slightly more slacker (Like if you become a fully fledged hardcore buddhist then you have to become a vegetarian....... in the belief of re-incarnation they wish not to kill an animal which in a previous life may have been one of your relatives........ HOWEVER when buddhist go round "begging" with there amish dish.......OR...... you get offered meat....... then not to "offend" you are allowed to eat it........ OR ..... Its acceptable if you say extra prayers)

What I would like to know is how do these people who actually say this shit (annata in particular) know this??? They dont...... they have not experienced it themselves so yet again we have to fall upon "faith" Rolleyes

I suppose we will all find out one day............. Cool

Yes, I think there is a good deal of wierdness within allegedly atheistic Buddhism.

The claim of no god is replaced by an inherent material evil and how to remove oneself from this attachement by following a variety of rules, the ultimate end result being left very unclear. As for Buddha his oral communication was not put into writing until 200 years after his death when the Pali Canon was written. Buddha never claimed to be a god , but is deified by many Buddhists.

As for reincarnation, quite a few Buddhists see re birth as dealing with merely a wisp of the self and deny a regular movement from womb to womb as speculated by some. In this area there is a lot of confusion, even among the Bhikkus.