Death-bed Conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Death-bed Conversion
I listening to a recorded debate earlier today when I heard a questioner mention that there are a high number of atheists who experience deathbed conversions. I laughed my ass off at that one.

My father had one of those "Death Bed Conversions" as he lay dying and I helped set it up for him. As he lay there dying, he knew that my highly-religious aunt was about to "make a move" for his soul, so he said, "let her in for about 5 minutes and I'll tell her anything she wants to here, then come in and get her". So, I said "Ok", let her in and left the room. Five minutes later I came to get my aunt and she was as happy as could be. Obviously, she had saved dad's soul. When I closed the door and sat down beside the bed, the first thing dad said was, "I'm sure glad we got that bullshit over with!"

Come to find out that my aunt had done the same thing to my Grandfather, and he also bull-shitted her in order to get her out of his face.

And that's why I view Death Bed Conversion stories as Bull Shit.

Any similar stories?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Julius's post
18-06-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: Death-bed Conversion
Theists have ZER0 respect for fellow human beings, especially the ones trying to peacefully experience their last remaining hours. Do they not see how selfish they are, trying to make themselves feel good, instead of just being there for the dying person? If I were dying, I might actually have to refuse to be left alone with one of them.

Julius, I'm sorry your Dad had to endure that bullshit but it's admirable of him to be so bighearted and tolerant of such fearful, moronic behavior. He sounds like he was a spitfire of a gent. Shy

Theists can be so annoying; one would hope they would see it, considering even dying people just want them to fuck off. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
18-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Yea I think they're mostly bullshit. When Hitch died a few websites actually posted crap about how they were praying that he came to accept the lord and beg forgiveness.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Hitchens was saved on his deathbed? Wow, God is merciful.
18-06-2013, 04:21 PM
(18-06-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Hitchens was saved on his deathbed? Wow, God is merciful.

No, you dolt, he wasn't.

Besides, 'salvation' is meaningless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-06-2013, 04:57 PM
(18-06-2013 01:46 PM)Julius Wrote:  I listening to a recorded debate earlier today when I heard a questioner mention that there are a high number of atheists who experience deathbed conversions. I laughed my ass off at that one.

My father had one of those "Death Bed Conversions" as he lay dying and I helped set it up for him. As he lay there dying, he knew that my highly-religious aunt was about to "make a move" for his soul, so he said, "let her in for about 5 minutes and I'll tell her anything she wants to here, then come in and get her". So, I said "Ok", let her in and left the room. Five minutes later I came to get my aunt and she was as happy as could be. Obviously, she had saved dad's soul. When I closed the door and sat down beside the bed, the first thing dad said was, "I'm sure glad we got that bullshit over with!"

Come to find out that my aunt had done the same thing to my Grandfather, and he also bull-shitted her in order to get her out of his face.

And that's why I view Death Bed Conversion stories as Bull Shit.

Any similar stories?

Well, my mom died in a catholic hospital and she asked me to prevent the priest from coming in. Which I did, and he wasn't pleased and he didn't make it easy. But I just blocked the door and short of physically removing me, he had no choice but stay out.

My husband died at home, and a few days before his time was up I asked him whether he wanted to see a priest (He was atheist, but I would have made allowances had the changed his mind.) He went into the rant of his life, talking about all the religious hypocrites and bigots he had met in his life... and all the lies they spread. I offered to tell them what he thought but he didn't want that, said it wouldn't help anyone.

No conversions here....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Priest: "Do you renounce Satan and accept God?"
Voltaire: "Now now my good man, this is no time to be making enemies."
Priest: "Do you renounce Satan and accept God?"
Voltaire: "For God's sake, man, just let me die in peace."

Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I can't stand stories like this. Don't get me wrong, your father sounds freaking awesome, I liked the way he handled it. But what really gets my goat, is that he had to do that at all. The man is in the end of life stage, he shouldn't have to waste even one second on this kind of thing if he doesn't want it.

[Image: 323377.jpg]

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes yumeji's post
18-06-2013, 05:17 PM
(18-06-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Hitchens was saved on his deathbed? Wow, God is merciful.

How very Christian, compassionate and sensitive of you.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
18-06-2013, 06:01 PM
(18-06-2013 05:16 PM)yumeji Wrote:  I can't stand stories like this. Don't get me wrong, your father sounds freaking awesome, I liked the way he handled it. But what really gets my goat, is that he had to do that at all. The man is in the end of life stage, he shouldn't have to waste even one second on this kind of thing if he doesn't want it.

[Image: 323377.jpg]

Thanks for the sentiment. You are right, it shouldn't have been something he felt he had to do. However, dad was very practical and just wanted to avert any type of scene so that he could maximize his time with us while he was still alive.

Here's how I figure it might go down if I were in a Hospital and dying:

Preacher: Are you ready to accept Christ Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

Me: Sure...if it can be done within 2 minutes and you'll empty the bedpan as you leave.
[+] 3 users Like Julius's post