pro
con
[Show Results]

Death penalty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2011, 04:16 PM
RE: Death penalty
Quote:Can I assume (without highjacking this thread) that those that are against the death penalty are also against euthanasia?
Death penalty = Killing as a punishment for a crime.
Euthanasia = Killing because the person can't kill him/herself and s/he wants to die and is possibly begging for it because of a painful condition.
I'd call forcing one to live under pain torcher and a human rights violation.

I can't see how one against death penalty would automatically be against euthanasia. Makes no sense, unless the anti-death penalty people in the US are mostly hippies.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I am against the death penalty, not because I think it is cruel or unjust, but because I don't consider it a punishment. For those who believe that there is a hell, then the death penalty seems fitting, but since I believe that nothing happens once a person dies, I feel like the criminal has escaped punishment by being put to death.

I think that those criminals who we know are likely to re-offend and those whose crimes are so horrible that they deserve a lifetime in prison should be incarcerated for the remainder of their life. And, in the meantime, since they aren't contributing anything to society, and since they are considered by some to be a burden on society, we might as well use them for science. I had a psych professor who goes to prisons and mental institutions and he interviews pedophiles, rapists, and psychopaths to learn more about why they are the way they are. I think if we can learn more about criminals, we have a better chance of preventing crimes from happening and/or prevent people from becoming criminals.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
23-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Good point, but is it worth the cost of keeping them in jail?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-01-2011, 01:53 AM
(23-01-2011 07:49 PM)No J. Wrote:  Good point, but is it worth the cost of keeping them in jail?
I find price is a strange argument. We support Handicapped as well. If you think of criminals as socially handicapped you get a different point of view. But perhaps this is just a word-game...
Please correct me...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
24-01-2011, 06:54 AM
(23-01-2011 07:49 PM)No J. Wrote:  Good point, but is it worth the cost of keeping them in jail?

I remember reading that for most of the US the costs of trying to kill them is actually higher than just incarcerating them. I'm not sure that is true across the board, but in states that are not serious about having a death penalty then letting people run through the legal system for 2 decades and only finally executing a small percentage of them costs a lot more.

This is part of the reason my home state of New Jersey has just eliminated the death penalty altogether.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-01-2011, 02:59 PM

(23-01-2011 04:16 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Can I assume (without highjacking this thread) that those that are against the death penalty are also against euthanasia?
Death penalty = Killing as a punishment for a crime.
Euthanasia = Killing because the person can't kill him/herself and s/he wants to die and is possibly begging for it because of a painful condition.
I'd call forcing one to live under pain torcher and a human rights violation.

I can't see how one against death penalty would automatically be against euthanasia. Makes no sense, unless the anti-death penalty people in the US are mostly hippies.

I forgot I was talking to a bunch of Atheists. Smile Some of my Christian friends do not believe in taking someone's life for any reason. I guess that is where my head was at when I posted previously.

My husband was talking with a friend today about his recent trip to China. He said he felt very safe there, even walking around by himself at night in some of the bigger cities. He says Chinese justice is swift, resulting in very little crime. Of course there is often no trial. I most certainly would not want to live under the government control and oppresion that the Chinese live under, but how they deal with offenders gives me food for thought... maybe not... I don't know.

I love hanging around with people that make me think through my beliefs or opinions. How many of us really do so? Other than here, I mean. Big Grin After many discussions with an Atheist on another forum, I had to admit that I have no cause or reason to believe in any form of religion or religious beliefs. I was formerly a sort of/kind of Wiccan.
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 09:16 PM
(24-01-2011 02:59 PM)Mohanna Wrote:  I love hanging around with people that make me think through my beliefs or opinions.

One of the things I find so refreshing about this board is how open minded people really are. I frequent some other boards and there is so much ignorant foam-at-the mouth spewing, it's disgusting. Little or no rational discussion, just "I'm right because I said so!!!" Or "you're just stupid!!!" Not here. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
25-01-2011, 01:02 AM
When it comes to how people view killing other people, there is a huge discrepancy in all areas. I remeber one conversation about self defence and the defence of loved ones where the person I was talking to said he wouldn't kill an axe weilding, raving lunatic to save either himself or his brother, even if the cost was getting killed or watching his brother get killed (his brother was there at that conversation). I was dumbfounded.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
25-01-2011, 09:51 AM

(25-01-2011 01:02 AM)No J. Wrote:  When it comes to how people view killing other people, there is a huge discrepancy in all areas. I remeber one conversation about self defence and the defence of loved ones where the person I was talking to said he wouldn't kill an axe weilding, raving lunatic to save either himself or his brother, even if the cost was getting killed or watching his brother get killed (his brother was there at that conversation). I was dumbfounded.

I've heard people say that too. One would think that self preservation would kick in at some point. Aren't we hardwired that way?

My opinion that is that no one really knows what they would do in any given situation until they are faced with that situation. And I believe no one knows what they would do the second time around either.
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I am for it in certain situations. If it was a serial killer that killed inoccent people for fun he or she should get the death penalty. However random situations in which someone just gets really angry and kills someone because of their anger then they should get life without perole.