Death toll climbs to 15, missing person reports soar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Death toll climbs to 15, missing person reports soar
Northern California fires continue to rage

Quote:As the number of people confirmed dead in Northern California fires rose to 15, officials warned Tuesday that the toll could rise as multiple fires scorched upward of 100,000 acres.

The best article I have found is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/...07b809e3f0

They update it.

It's quite horrific.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-10-2017, 04:40 PM
RE: Death toll climbs to 15, missing person reports soar
Sad Has anyone said what started them? Just super dry weather?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: dickens_1807527a.jpg]
10-10-2017, 04:44 PM
(10-10-2017 04:40 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Sad Has anyone said what started them? Just super dry weather?

90% of these fires are started by either human negligence or malice.
The other 10% -- lightning, usually.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
10-10-2017, 05:04 PM
This makes me so sad. When we finally moved out of Tahoe and snow country, we moved near Calastoga. It's a lovely little town. We would go there for groceries. My brothers played basketball against Santa Rosa all the time.

There are natural springs bubbling up all over the place in Calastoga. We lived in a community near Calastoga called Anderson's Springs which was a wonderful resort area. The entire community burned to the ground two years ago, including the house I lived in as a kid. Someone filmed their harrowing escape from the fire through the only road out of Anderson's Springs. When I recognized the Anderson's Springs signature arch way sign in the video at 00:55 I broke down and cried. It was a major part of my childhood.

Now it's happening agian. Fucking global warming. Santa Rosa is beautiful wine country. Just idealic. What a tragic situation.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-10-2017, 05:07 PM
It has been reported that it is the Santa Ana winds that are fanning the flames and making this much worse.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Chas, not to be rude but it is Santa Ana winds in Southern California in Northern California they are usually described as Valley winds. Having lived my whole life in the San Francisco Bay Area this has been most unusual. I can remember days in San Francisco when it was hot and dry and dusty, one did have to worry about valley fever but the sky was not smokey to the extent that the sun was obscured.

I think it is possible that a close friends childhood home in Santa Rosa has burned down. And a beautiful home my wife's parents built near Kenwood may have burned down.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
10-10-2017, 05:25 PM
(10-10-2017 05:19 PM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, not to be rude but it is Santa Ana winds in Southern California in Northern California they are usually described as Valley winds. Having lived my whole life in the San Francisco Bay Area this has been most unusual. I can remember days in San Francisco when it was hot and dry and dusty, one did have to worry about valley fever but the sky was not smokey to the extent that the sun was obscured.

I think it is possible that a close friends childhood home in Santa Rosa has burned down. And a beautiful home my wife's parents built near Kenwood may have burned down.

Thanks for the info. The Boston TV news/weather was saying this. They had a map and everything. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
10-10-2017, 05:30 PM
(10-10-2017 05:19 PM)JAH Wrote:  Chas, not to be rude but it is Santa Ana winds in Southern California in Northern California they are usually described as Valley winds. Having lived my whole life in the San Francisco Bay Area this has been most unusual. I can remember days in San Francisco when it was hot and dry and dusty, one did have to worry about valley fever but the sky was not smokey to the extent that the sun was obscured.

When I was a kid living in the Calastoga area the summers were dry and hot but during the winters there was a ton of rain. I don't think that area has had much rain for quite a while, even in the winter.

I'm really sorry about your friends and in-laws homes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Quote:A big ridge of high pressure has lingered just east of California’s mountains this month over the Great Basin. In this type of weather pattern, wind from the east rises on the mountain’s upslope, which causes moisture to condense. Clouds form and sometimes it rains on that side of the mountains, removing moisture.
Winds then crest over the ridge and sink. As the air moves along the downslope, it is compressed by the change in pressure, causing the wind to become faster, hotter and dryer making conditions for wildfires worse.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-10-2017, 06:06 PM
(10-10-2017 05:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Now it's happening agian. Fucking global warming. Santa Rosa is beautiful wine country. Just idealic. What a tragic situation.

"Wine Country" is moving north.