Death.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 01:00 PM
RE: Death.
(16-06-2011 07:19 PM)Monk Wrote:  Isn't a public funeral more or less a ritual of sorts that originated in religion? I mean, when I 'pass away' I don't care what happens, but I've seen non religious people get a 'christian' funeral with all the nonsense attached to it.

I suspect that a ritual farewell to our loved ones predates religion. It very definitely predates any organized religion that we know, and may very well have been the beginning of most or all primitive religions.

Ritual burial has little to do with the dead person: it's for the friends and relatives left behind. It's most particularly for the spouse and children of the deceased. It's an emotional catharsis, a re-affirmation of relatedness, and an opportunity for the community to support the bereaved family.

How each culture goes about it depends on the people's history and mythology. How each family in a heterogeneous nation goes about it depends on their beliefs and habits. Lots of variation possible. All serve the same purpose.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 01:04 PM
(17-06-2011 12:55 PM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  
(17-06-2011 10:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I either want to be cremated or have my carbon atoms condensed into a diamond. If I get to be a diamond then I can become a family heirloom!
"That is a lovely necklace. Where did you get it?"
"From my grandfather...literally."

Our chemistry teacher told us that this diamond thing is just a hoax.
When your body is cremated, carbon leaves in the form of CO and CO2.
All that's left is a bunch of non organic molecules, mainly with Nitrogen. And the little carbon that's left is not in the form of graphite, from which diamond can be made.

I'm rather thinking about a tree, fertilized by my ashes, since Nitrogen is actually processed by plants. And if it happens to be a fruit tree (which it will), my children can make pálinka from it. It's a traditional Hungarian spirit, made from fruit distillate, it's better than tequila, whiskey, gin, etc. Big Grin That way they could really drink at my memory.

Being a chemist myself your chem teacher is correct....

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
17-06-2011, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2011 02:16 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Rituals about mourning the dead are viewed by anthropology as a determinant for a religious people. When they begin to bury they begin to be religious. So I would say funerals are often the progenitor of religion.

Here's an awesome type of funeral, the Wari' a tribe found in the amazon practiced cannibalism until 1960 when missionaries and government workers forced them to stop. They practiced both eating people defeated by them in war to show a disgust for their tribe, and for funerals eating the bodies of tribesmen who died naturally as a sign of affection. This is definitely a literal interpretation as there is a piece of them inside of you =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Sadly I've had to attend quite a few funerals, amongst others, one for my son. It was.... okay. They "had to" put in some words of God, but I was too far out to remember much. One funeral that I DO remember was for my best friend, who died aged 42 from a simple hernia operation. That priest must have been mad or something. My friend was the most adorable person, incredibly caring and positive, helpful and straightforward. But the priest came with the whole brimstone and hellfire-speak, and the full church with family and lots of friends were just in shock of what he said. Around 25 of us met at a restaurant later, just to debrief and sum up and vent our anger. It's hard to realize that there actually is priests like that in Norway still. Not many, but the damage they are allowed to do is frustrating.

When I die - it says so in my testament - I want to be cremated and (what's the right word?) laid? put? thrown? somewhere nice and quiet, and I do not want any religious talking. But it's out of my control, and I wont be around, so.. well. I like what Bob Hope said when he was asked about how he wanted the burial. He said: "surprise me!" (If my sources are correct)

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
17-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Check it out.
http://www.lifegem.com/
Anyone know for sure if this is a hoax?

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
18-06-2011, 12:22 AM
OK OK OK, well. Is it 'acceptable' to follow 'tradition' even though it's religious by nature? Some cultures burn someone's body (think of Star Wars the Phantom Menace)
18-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:No worries... they aren't showing pedophilia in public Big Grin

Yeah, well that's not quite what I meant.Smile

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
18-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I want to be buried under a fruit tree and when someone comes eat one the fruit, I will have sign popping out saying ' You are eating a part of my soul, now I am going to possessing you BITCH!!'Big Grin

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post