Debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
RE: Debate?
(03-12-2013 11:49 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I can't see anything tp be gained. They aren't interested in debate or discussion.

Huh?! What?! Hey!

About 2,000 posts since January. You can call them "debate" or "discussion" and people respond to me and I to them and so forth.

Why do you make sweeping statements like that? Especially about a radio call-in discussion and debate program.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
(03-12-2013 11:25 AM)KiltedAtheist Wrote:  Does anyone here actively debate against theists?

My cousin hosts a christian radio show, is a presuppositional apologetic pastor and I'd like to hear someone call in and destroy his arguments.

Smile

Seriously.

Go watch a debate with an apologetic and an atheist. Do you really think William Lane Craig or Ray Comfort or any other high-profile theists even pay attention to the counter-arguments? The real winner of the debate is almost always the audience. If you're goal is to have the theist change their mind and recant their arguments, don't bother. If your goal is to reach the listeners and get them thinking about other points of view, then by all means do so.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
(03-12-2013 12:55 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what is the name of your cousin's show? Also, hope you live in a warm climate. Kilts can get awfully breezy.
Doc

http://apologiaradio.com/

He lives in AZ, I live in Ohio. It is cold up here.
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(03-12-2013 02:51 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 11:25 AM)KiltedAtheist Wrote:  Does anyone here actively debate against theists?

My cousin hosts a christian radio show, is a presuppositional apologetic pastor and I'd like to hear someone call in and destroy his arguments.

Smile

Seriously.

Go watch a debate with an apologetic and an atheist. Do you really think William Lane Craig or Ray Comfort or any other high-profile theists even pay attention to the counter-arguments? The real winner of the debate is almost always the audience. If you're goal is to have the theist change their mind and recant their arguments, don't bother. If your goal is to reach the listeners and get them thinking about other points of view, then by all means do so.

You are saying that only the theists and Christians stay firm minded in their paradigms following the debates themselves? You are saying that the freethinkers become Christians following the debates?

Your remarks sound one-sided.
03-12-2013, 03:22 PM
(03-12-2013 03:06 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 02:51 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Go watch a debate with an apologetic and an atheist. Do you really think William Lane Craig or Ray Comfort or any other high-profile theists even pay attention to the counter-arguments? The real winner of the debate is almost always the audience. If you're goal is to have the theist change their mind and recant their arguments, don't bother. If your goal is to reach the listeners and get them thinking about other points of view, then by all means do so.

You are saying that only the theists and Christians stay firm minded in their paradigms following the debates themselves? You are saying that the freethinkers become Christians following the debates?

Your remarks sound one-sided.

No, that's you shoving another word sandwich down my throat.

Did I say something untrue? Did WLC say 'I'm wrong' recently in a debate? No. Did Comfort admit he misrepresented evolution? No. Is it true that an audience benefits from hearing two experts on opposing viewpoints debate publicly? Yes. So your problem is... the truth?

Thou hath suffered divine butthurt.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 5 users Like guitar_nut's post
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Sounds like fun! I love to try it!
03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
(03-12-2013 02:37 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 11:49 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I can't see anything tp be gained. They aren't interested in debate or discussion.

Huh?! What?! Hey!

About 2,000 posts since January. You can call them "debate" or "discussion" and people respond to me and I to them and so forth.

You wouldn't know a discussion or a debate if it bent you over and fucked you in the ass.

[Image: i-451f5356ad30f214361cd29fda6a4963-debatingrules.jpeg]

Quote:Why do you make sweeping statements like that? Especially about a radio call-in discussion and debate program.

It's BILLED as a "discussion and debate" program, perhaps, but Brian37's post illustrates quite clearly why it is NOT a discussion or a debate.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't expect to "win"! But what a hoot! Might even get a rep point!
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
(03-12-2013 02:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 12:55 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what is the name of your cousin's show? Also, hope you live in a warm climate. Kilts can get awfully breezy.
Doc

WaitWHAT???? The Fire in Ye Loins doesn't keep you warm? What kind of Scotsman are you???

Tongue

Not a true one, obviously.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
(03-12-2013 02:51 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  

Smile

Seriously.

That's because they are only set to send information not receive it. Everyone has seem Christians eye glaze over when in a debate with an Atheist.

Back to debating on radio, i listen to quite a few Christian Podcasts, and i don't think i've ever heard a live debate with an Atheist, they normally take a tiny sound bite, edit it how they want it, take it out of context and the Atheist isn't there to clarify/defend his point.