Debate: God Exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 04:42 AM
Debate: God Exists
Dear all,

I would like to run a debate titled God Exists. I would like two teams to be involved. One team is affirmative that argues for God; the other team argues against God. It is not a requirement to be a theist or atheist for either team. You may want to treat this debate as a hypothesis and an opportunity to cultivate your own critical thinking and argumentative skills.

Each team may comprise of more than one member but both teams must have equal numbers of members.

Would anyone be interested to get started?

Thanks and regards
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2017, 05:31 AM
RE: Debate: God Exists
Uh...

Typically posts here are from someone looking for a willing debate opponent, or to make a challenge against anther specific forum member; but they're always made by a participant. Never had anyone trawl for whole teams to debate for their amusement, Thulsa Doom style.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-02-2017, 05:51 AM
What is this "god" of which you speak ?
Define it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-02-2017, 01:38 PM
This is supposed to be a stage for one-on-one battles, and a "fight to the death".

A multi-person debate will just end up like dozens of other existing threads discussing this issue—God's existence. It's kinda pointless. Sorry.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-02-2017, 01:53 PM
This thread should do it, but it won’t be limited to a specific number, anyone who wants to participate can. Like EK and SYZ said this is a 1 on 1 format and once the two have accepted it is closed to all others.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-02-2017, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 02:18 PM by Astreja.)
Posted this same crap over at Atheist Forums under the user name "Adventurer" and it didn't go over all that great there either.

"Thinker," why should we select you to moderate a debate? You just got here, and have only 20 posts to your name. If we were going to do such a thing we'd be better served to choose a senior member with a reputation for fairness, rather than a newcomer.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
24-02-2017, 06:26 AM
A better question to refine with is, since god is a religiously constructed concept:

Why do religions exist?

How about that?
24-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Yeah, that's a better question. There's never going to be a definition of "god" worth debating.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
24-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Shall we get started?
24-02-2017, 08:25 AM
(24-02-2017 06:40 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Shall we get started?

Who are the debaters?

If there are but two people involved, better off moving this thread into The Boxing Ring which is set up for just this purpose. Send me a PM if this is the case and I'll move it.

As an experiment, I don't mind seeing how a two-on-two debate would work in the same way.

Please see The Boxing Ring rules (we'd be bending rule #2 on this occasion) and don't forget to identify the participants and set the ground rules.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post