Debate: God Exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 08:51 AM
RE: Debate: God Exists
Again, Thinker posts a thread asking for others to think on their behalf. I'm noticing a trend here.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
01-03-2017, 12:22 AM
So Thinker [sic] starts a new thread, but then doesn't bother to follow through?

—Cold feet now by the looks of it. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-03-2017, 01:51 AM
Let's have a debate instead on whether X exists, where there is no known way of measuring X using any physical instruments, no verifiable evidence that it exists, people have no evidence to suggest that it should exist, if it did exist would violate all known laws of physics that the modern world is built on and has no agreed upon set of properties.
[+] 10 users Like Mathilda's post
01-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Lol, that's all I ever seem to debate Tongue

I'll say yes it does, because the idea that it doesn't makes me very uncomfortable. A world without X? Unthinkable!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
01-03-2017, 08:18 AM
(01-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Lol, that's all I ever seem to debate Tongue

I'll say yes it does, because the idea that it doesn't makes me very uncomfortable. A world without X? Unthinkable!

No xylophones, no xenophobia, no Xena...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
01-03-2017, 08:27 AM
(01-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  A world without X? Unthinkable!

Not to worry. We have Professor X, X-Men, X Files, X-factors even X-rays. The world isn't going to be without X's any time soon.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
01-03-2017, 08:43 AM
(01-03-2017 01:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Let's have a debate instead on whether X exists, where there is no known way of measuring X using any physical instruments, no verifiable evidence that it exists, people have no evidence to suggest that it should exist, if it did exist would violate all known laws of physics that the modern world is built on and has no agreed upon set of properties.

Now you're talking. Thumbsup

#sigh
01-03-2017, 09:02 AM
(24-02-2017 08:51 AM)cactus Wrote:  Again, Thinker posts a thread asking for others to think on their behalf. I'm noticing a trend here.

Agreed. Noticed the same trend with his posts.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
(24-02-2017 06:26 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Why do religions exist?

Fear.

Quote:"...religious belief is ineradicable as long as we remain a stupid, poorly evolved mammalian species. Our problem is this: our pre-frontal lobes are too small and our adrenaline glands are too big and our thumb-finger opposition isn't all that it might be. And we're afraid of the dark, and we're afraid to die and we believe in the truths of holy books that are so stupid and so fabricated that a child can see through them." ~ Christopher Hitchens

Anything else?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-03-2017, 03:49 AM
(01-03-2017 08:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 01:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Let's have a debate instead on whether X exists, where there is no known way of measuring X using any physical instruments, no verifiable evidence that it exists, people have no evidence to suggest that it should exist, if it did exist would violate all known laws of physics that the modern world is built on and has no agreed upon set of properties.

Now you're talking. Thumbsup

"whether X exists" -- Well, the apophatic theologians, including Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite and the Cappadician Fathers, wrote that "exist" is the wrong word to use for God, or is at least misleading. They said that God is existence itself, or something like what later theologians called the "Ground of Being." What's certain is that no theologian asserts that God exists in the way that physical matter, you or I, or bigfoot exists.

Some argue that the closest we can come to understanding this is to say that God exists somewhat in the way that numbers exist, as the Form of the Good.

"measuring X using any physical instruments" -- As I understand it, physical instruments measure physical objects, events, or relationships. Applying these to God would be a category mistake. Since he is not sensible but intelligible (in Plato's sense of these words).

"no verifiable evidence that it exists" -- Unfortunately, metaphysical questions seldom get determined through verifiable evidence, if what you mean by that is empirical repeatable sense-observation.

"no evidence to suggest that it should exist" -- This one is similar to the above: we don't expect evidence if you mean empirical evidence. The philosophers and theologians who have worked on the problem see the fact that the universe exists and apparently follows certain regularities which we call "laws" as being strong evidence for the existence of something they have called God.

"would violate all known laws of physics" -- Or perhaps sustain all known laws of physics.

"no agreed upon set of properties" -- There's a lot of disagreement among people in different religions, and among people in the same religions. There is a set of things we can say about God which are agreed on by a tradition of major theologians and other thinkers, including Dante, Milton, Isaac Newton, and many others.

To get a clearer picture of the God they describe we have to get away from the God of the Sunday School teachers, who simplify, anthropomorphize, and threaten.

The God of the philosophers is in no way incompatible with modern science.
[+] 2 users Like Belaqua's post