Debate me and all the shit that's piled up over the weeks.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 02:37 PM
RE: Debate me and all the shit that's piled up over the weeks.
I don't get it, TTT. You have found out already that pretty much no one agrees with you here, and if there is one debate that 90 % ends nowhere, it's the question of god or gods. My advice? Just stop talking about it and people will stop "kicking you while you're down". Look for other things to talk to about, make friends. I would gladly talk to you as long as you left out the topic of theism. In turn, I won't ask the same stuff back. One of my friends is a christian, and we never talk about god or any of that stuff, because it's fucking boring and leads to nowhere.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
[Image: Made20bacon.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
(01-12-2013 03:01 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  [Image: Made20bacon.png]

01-12-2013, 03:19 PM
(01-12-2013 02:37 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I don't get it, TTT. You have found out already that pretty much no one agrees with you here, and if there is one debate that 90 % ends nowhere, it's the question of god or gods. My advice? Just stop talking about it and people will stop "kicking you while you're down". Look for other things to talk to about, make friends. I would gladly talk to you as long as you left out the topic of theism. In turn, I won't ask the same stuff back. One of my friends is a christian, and we never talk about god or any of that stuff, because it's fucking boring and leads to nowhere.

I still think he's trollingDrinking Beverage

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
01-12-2013, 06:35 PM
(01-12-2013 03:19 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 02:37 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I don't get it, TTT. You have found out already that pretty much no one agrees with you here, and if there is one debate that 90 % ends nowhere, it's the question of god or gods. My advice? Just stop talking about it and people will stop "kicking you while you're down". Look for other things to talk to about, make friends. I would gladly talk to you as long as you left out the topic of theism. In turn, I won't ask the same stuff back. One of my friends is a christian, and we never talk about god or any of that stuff, because it's fucking boring and leads to nowhere.

I still think he's trollingDrinking Beverage

[Image: 7fc5e07054d15e432507e0cc811ab7b4.png]

02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
(30-11-2013 11:33 AM)kim Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 10:38 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Exactly, Bucky is just kicking the wounded and has claimed too much and has made a mistake. Meditation isn't 'woo' (whatever dafuq that is) but a proven medical and metaphysical tool.

Well TTT, as someone who's done yoga and meditated for at least 35+ years, I can tell you that perhaps you have ignored a particular mechanism of meditation. The purpose of meditation, as WSabrina points out, is to clear the mind and bring focus. There is a time to focus the mind and a time to clear the mind.

Yoga is a focus which involves meditation - the focus is completely on the body. Yoga is a body meditation.

The purpose of meditation itself, is to pull the mind away from ALL things - from ALL thought - from ALL FOCUS - to make the mind a blank. Blank. To be nothing.

If you meditate on something specific, well, then you are not meditating, you are focusing on that thing. You have not allowed the mind to erase this focus and so, when that thing comes along, you would be unable to objectively focus on it or even acknowledge it with any degree of common sense.

If you meditate ON a thing - focus ON a thing - you are not meditating.

Perhaps you might inquire about a thing before you make confused statements about it. Drinking Beverage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

Just an FYI but yes --- some people literally USE meditation to help them focus.
I agree clearing the mind is first and foremost - but it may Also be used as a tool. People who use meditation know this. You're too narrow in your definition quite frankly.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-02-2014, 04:03 AM
(28-11-2013 09:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 09:15 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm against gay marriage.

Ok that one. That is our topic. I'll let you open. Please explain how it is constitutional to exempt a portion of society from rights and benefits afforded others under the Constitution of the United States of America?

Some food for thought to start: The high court of France has indeed found it constitutional to restrict marriage to man and woman. This is in a country that embraces the political doctrine of allowing no entity (like church) between a citizen and the state. So, there must be some explicit and implicit reasoning outside of religion which supports the idea. And before anyone points it out, yes, I know France is different and has no authority over US law, obviously. Yet I do have immense respect for the French and their fairly consistent ability to analyze sides of an argument. Watch the daily French news programs and talking heads and (if they understood the language) many Americans would be bored to tears, while there actually is a French audience for long, drawn-out philosophical exchanges.

Ok. So, I do oppose "genderless" marriage, where marriage is defined without consideration of the gender of either party.

This is constitutional because equal treatment applies to treating like groups the same, and there is no type of human relationship quite like that of a heterosexual couple, and the difference--procreation through sexual relations--is significant and impactful to society.
13-02-2014, 04:08 AM
(28-11-2013 09:23 PM)sporehux Wrote:  What are the rational non religious reasons against Gay Marriage.

I'm a raving homophobe, but I don't see a gay Marriage problem

I'd refer to it as "genderless" marriage, where there is no legal consideration of the gender of either party.

The harm is that such a concept divorces sex from marriage. IMO a primary reason for state involvement in marriage is much like a stop sign at a busy intersection, it can communicate to people the importance of confining a heterosexual relationship within a marital relationship. Once "sex" is divorced from the concept of "marriage" it can no longer serve as such a signal.
13-02-2014, 04:19 AM
(29-11-2013 01:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 01:57 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Now this is the part that's hard for many atheists to grasp. He is responsible, for lack of a better word, for the evil but is not evil Himself.

And the part that's hard for theists to grasp (actually it's that they refuse to grasp) is that this means that he cannot be all loving. His design is flawed, therefore he is flawed, or rather your made up concept of him is flawed.

Theists have long acknowledged the question of how God can be loving and allow the existence of evil and the answer with resolution was expressed long ago in Genesis, for example. Mankind was given a home that was not fallen, and knew there would be important experiences they would miss if they stayed in Eden, and therefore chose to leave and to live in a fallen world. So, in other words, mankind chose a world with duality in order to experience what is only possible in a dual reality. LDS believe that indeed, everyone on the planet chose this before being born. For those who chose otherwise, they remain in the previous state and can go no further.
13-02-2014, 04:34 AM
(13-02-2014 04:08 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  ...
The harm is that such a concept divorces sex from marriage.

Nope.

Marriage divorces sex from marriage.

Becca,
Do you realise that you have reanimated a dead thread started by a banned member?

Suggestion: Start a new thread or two.

Cheers