Poll: Does the United States have a problem with guns?
Yes. Guns are signficant source of social ill in the US
No. Guns are not a contributing factor to the social problems of the US
Both. Guns are an issue in the US but are both a part of the problem and part of the solution
Unsure.
[Show Results]

Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
Ban handguns, sub-machine guns and anything that can be classed as "concealable" as this will clear up certain situations. If you want to mooch about with a gun, make it so everyone can see it.

I have no problems with hunting. So you can own a bolt action hunting rifle however you must go though the normal checks you have in place now (background, mental health etc). You will only be allowed to discharge your weapon at shooting ranges and when out hunting. When not in use it must be kept in a metal locked box that is secured firmly to something (a wall, the floor etc)

Only be allowed to carry your weapon when either going to the shooting range or hunting. On transit guns must be placed in a suitable container (also lockable) and when traveling in a vehicle it must be kept in the boot at all times.

Limit ammunition to something reasonable (I haven't thought of a number) Maybe more than one hundred but less than one thousand.

Pass laws that if you get caught with an illegal firearm, then you get a minimum prison sentence of life for every round you have for that particular weapon (Life being 25 years)

If you are sentenced for selling a weapon/s then you spend the rest of your life in prison, with no parole.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 04:17 PM
(22-08-2013 03:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  Ban handguns, sub-machine guns and anything that can be classed as "concealable" as this will clear up certain situations. If you want to mooch about with a gun, make it so everyone can see it.

I have no problems with hunting. So you can own a bolt action hunting rifle however you must go though the normal checks you have in place now (background, mental health etc). You will only be allowed to discharge your weapon at shooting ranges and when out hunting. When not in use it must be kept in a metal locked box that is secured firmly to something (a wall, the floor etc)

Only be allowed to carry your weapon when either going to the shooting range or hunting. On transit guns must be placed in a suitable container (also lockable) and when traveling in a vehicle it must be kept in the boot at all times.

Limit ammunition to something reasonable (I haven't thought of a number) Maybe more than one hundred but less than one thousand.

Pass laws that if you get caught with an illegal firearm, then you get a minimum prison sentence of life for every round you have for that particular weapon (Life being 25 years)

If you are sentenced for selling a weapon/s then you spend the rest of your life in prison, with no parole.

You get a 28th Amendment which nullifies the Second Amendment through Congress, signed by the President and ratified by 2/3 of the state legislatures and you can have this fantasy. Till then, you are not allowed to violate the Constitution because you don't like certain aspects of it.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
22-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Definitely don't ban all the different weapon types that could be found in the Branch Davidian's accumulated small arms arsenal at their compound in Waco, TX. I mean they served so well against the ATF once The Man decided to role tanks up their ass Undecided

Consider I don't seem to remember that incident, or the one at Ruby Ridge, inciting the American public to too much more than a little yelling, and a discussion or 2 on a talk show here and there. Good luck getting people too busy watching American Idol to take up arms Undecided

I'm not for banning guns (I own 2 rifles, a shotgun, and a pistol [that work]), but it seems a little restriction wouldn't hurt! If it takes a good guy with a good enough job, or a bad guy with enough drugs to sell on the street, to afford the good shit, anyway, what's the difference other than making it harder for some whacko to get his hands on one, and go on a spree!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
22-08-2013, 06:11 PM
(22-08-2013 04:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You get a 28th Amendment which nullifies the Second Amendment through Congress, signed by the President and ratified by 2/3 of the state legislatures and you can have this fantasy. Till then, you are not allowed to violate the Constitution because you don't like certain aspects of it.

I don't live in America so I don't know your politics as well as I know the politics in the UK.

They were just my views/suggestions/ideas.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2013, 08:03 PM
(22-08-2013 06:11 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 04:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You get a 28th Amendment which nullifies the Second Amendment through Congress, signed by the President and ratified by 2/3 of the state legislatures and you can have this fantasy. Till then, you are not allowed to violate the Constitution because you don't like certain aspects of it.

I don't live in America so I don't know your politics as well as I know the politics in the UK.

They were just my views/suggestions/ideas.

In that case, you're not going to have that problem as the UK is pretty restrictive on private firearms ownership.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-08-2013, 12:07 AM

You're allowed to think about modifying it though. 2nd amendment seems a tad crazy to me anyway - in my possibly naive understanding you're guaranteeing even psych patients the right to carry weapons capable of killing large numbers of people ? Why not think about a 28th amendment ? Except for the fact that it'll never get passed...
27-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm in favor of reasonable restrictions on guns -- background checks, licensing & training, limiting size of high capacity clips, etc. -- but the real solution to the gun problem in the USA is changing the culture. We need to make gun ownership un-cool. Make gun owners afraid to admit they own guns because it will make them social pariahs. We need an anti-gun campaign modeled after the anti-smoking campaign. We need to start with the children (like the religions do - they know you have to indoctrinate the children before they wise up). Look what we have done to smoking in the past few decades? When I was a kid, everyone smoked everywhere. Remember smoking sections on airplanes and in restaurants? Remember walking into a bar or nightclub in the 70's? When I see someone walking down the street now smoking a cigarette, I'm shocked because it's such a rare event. And then the derision sets in: look, a smoker! Yuck! We need to do the same thing with gun ownership. We need to change the dynamic. Guns are not cool. Guns are not fashionable. Guns are not essential tools for self-defense. Guns are for pussies. Guns are for mentally deranged right wing nut jobs. We need to change the culture so that people who own guns are afraid to admit it in public because they are ashamed. Look, a gun-owner! Yuck! It may take several generations, but just like smoking, we can change the culture.
27-08-2013, 07:49 AM
^^ I see you are one who knows how to win friends and influence people Big Grin
27-08-2013, 09:30 AM
The murder rate in this country is the lowest it has been in 100 Years - that's right....100 Years! Nevertheless, the public is always inundated with "Muderers Run Wild" stories and people are too quick to believe the problem is worse just because they can see it reported on the TV.

What changed such that the murder rate came down? Was it a restriction on firearms? No. Was it a limiting of magazine capacity? No. Was it the mandating of firearm training courses? No. Was it the restrictions on Assault weapons and machine guns? No.

Nevertheless, the murder rate has continued to fall.

Maybe it's a cultural thing...huh?

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...id=2879174

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
27-08-2013, 09:47 AM
(27-08-2013 09:30 AM)Julius Wrote:  The murder rate in this country is the lowest it has been in 100 Years - that's right....100 Years! Nevertheless, the public is always inundated with "Murderers Run Wild" stories and people are too quick to believe the problem is worse just because they can see it reported on the TV.

What changed such that the murder rate came down? Was it a restriction on firearms? No. Was it a limiting of magazine capacity? No. Was it the mandating of firearm training courses? No. Was it the restrictions on Assault weapons and machine guns? No.

Nevertheless, the murder rate has continued to fall.

Maybe it's a cultural thing...huh?

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...id=2879174

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Of course it's a cultural thing. A downward trend is shared by most countries. And yet, conversely, the rates in the United States remain substantially higher than in similarly developed countries.

... this is my signature!