Poll: Does the United States have a problem with guns?
Yes. Guns are signficant source of social ill in the US
No. Guns are not a contributing factor to the social problems of the US
Both. Guns are an issue in the US but are both a part of the problem and part of the solution
Unsure.
[Show Results]

Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
(20-08-2013 05:15 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I believe the the Second Amendment HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING OR SPORTING!

Sure, but what's the last time the militia was called up?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 06:43 PM
(20-08-2013 06:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 05:15 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I believe the the Second Amendment HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING OR SPORTING!

Sure, but what's the last time the militia was called up?

Number 1) the response is absolutely stupid, as it's a distraction from the real issues and 2) the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-08-2013, 06:48 PM
(20-08-2013 06:43 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 06:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure, but what's the last time the militia was called up?

Number 1) the response is absolutely stupid, as it's a distraction from the real issues and 2) the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.
i think the question is valid.
Also in today's times, with the American army able to take out the worlds 3rd largest army in a matter of days, do people really think untrained, uncoordinated civilians stand to put up much resistance?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
20-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Guns in and of themselves are not the 'problem' in America...but they exacerbate other problems.

Poverty, educational failure, mass incarceration, the drug war, poor mental healthcare are problems...crime is a symptom.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
20-08-2013, 06:53 PM
(20-08-2013 06:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 06:43 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Number 1) the response is absolutely stupid, as it's a distraction from the real issues and 2) the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.
i think the question is valid.
Also in today's times, with the American army able to take out the worlds 3rd largest army in a matter of days, do people really think untrained, uncoordinated civilians stand to put up much resistance?

The point was to save money on military procurement (if people bring their own guns the army doesn't have to buy them). Well, that and killin' injuns.

To suggest civilians have ever stood a chance against an actual regular military - well. That might make for good feels but it's even less true now than it ever has been.

20-08-2013, 06:55 PM
(20-08-2013 06:43 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Number 1) the response is absolutely stupid, as it's a distraction from the real issues and 2) the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.

Also the amendment literally says "militia". So if that's not what it's about, what is?

20-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.

So...once in 65 years. I'm an old fuck and even I wasn't born then.

Time to let it go.

This nonsense is not about militias. It is about the gun merchants stirring up people to think they need guns to "protect" themselves. The NRA is about money.
20-08-2013, 07:13 PM
(20-08-2013 07:03 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:the Militia was used as late as 1948 to put down a corrupt sheriff in Athens, TN.

So...once in 65 years. I'm an old fuck and even I wasn't born then.

Time to let it go.

This nonsense is not about militias. It is about the gun merchants stirring up people to think they need guns to "protect" themselves. The NRA is about money.

And you don't have fire insurance because you've never had a fire in your house, right?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-08-2013, 07:23 PM
(20-08-2013 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 07:03 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  So...once in 65 years. I'm an old fuck and even I wasn't born then.

Time to let it go.

And you don't have fire insurance because you've never had a fire in your house, right?

Seriously? An argument about personal self-defense is all well and good. But it's not this argument.

"Armed insurrection will save us from The Government if necessary" is a ludicrous fantasy.

20-08-2013, 07:35 PM
(20-08-2013 07:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  And you don't have fire insurance because you've never had a fire in your house, right?

Seriously? An argument about personal self-defense is all well and good. But it's not this argument.

"Armed insurrection will save us from The Government if necessary" is a ludicrous fantasy.

I don't agree. Do you really think that if it came to that the armed forces would not fragment? Consider the situation and events that would have led to it.

Is the government and military in danger from thousands or even tens of thousands of armed civilians? No, of course not.

But that's not what the thread is about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post