Poll: Does the United States have a problem with guns?
Yes. Guns are signficant source of social ill in the US
No. Guns are not a contributing factor to the social problems of the US
Both. Guns are an issue in the US but are both a part of the problem and part of the solution
Unsure.
[Show Results]

Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2013, 05:27 AM
Re: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
The Walking Dead is not a reality show.

If society collapses, go get all the guns and ammo you want then. Until such time, you live in a civil society and should act like it.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2013, 05:28 AM
I realize you think such satirical comments are hilarious, but they really fucking aren't.

Evolve
21-08-2013, 06:50 AM
RE: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
Also, for those that answered that guns are part of the problem and solution, please tell me how guns are part of the solution and how guns can solve problems we currently face (if you go on rants about an impending apocalypse or government collapse, I'm just going to assume you don't have an actual case and prefer to live in a fantasy)

Evolve
21-08-2013, 07:50 AM
(21-08-2013 05:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I realize you think such satirical comments are hilarious, but they really fucking aren't.

If that's addressed to me, please be clear about it.

... this is my signature!
21-08-2013, 07:53 AM
(21-08-2013 07:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 05:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I realize you think such satirical comments are hilarious, but they really fucking aren't.

If that's addressed to me, please be clear about it.

It was supposed to be to Earmuffs post on thread one where he said
"But without guns, how will you'll have a mass shooting every 2 or 3months?
Can't have that now, it's just plain un-American! "

This is not funny and not amusing. It is disgusting.

Evolve
21-08-2013, 08:00 AM
(21-08-2013 07:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It was supposed to be to Earmuffs post on thread one where he said
"But without guns, how will you'll have a mass shooting every 2 or 3months?
Can't have that now, it's just plain un-American! "

This is not funny and not amusing. It is disgusting.

Ah. I missed that post, so I was feeling bad about my militia crack. That is pretty crass.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Note: Sorry to do this piecemeal, but I have been pressed for time recently and I do want to make constructive replies.

(20-08-2013 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What types or accessories?
Those that do not serve to assist in the primary function of the gun (this would have to do with the insurance too. If I have a gun for home self-defense, then I would pay less in taxes for it than one that was for personal carry self-defense and each category would also have different accessories that are allowable).

Who determines the primary function of a gun? The gun owner?
Who defines what accessories are allowable and on what basis?

Quote:So, a home self-defensive weapon could have different accessories allowed than one for hunting or carry self-defense.

I'm not completely familiar with all the accessories out there, but I imagine most scopes would be legal for hunting and home self-defense.

A scope on a firearm would be the worst accessory for a home-defense weapon, unless you're suggesting I pick off intruders at long distance. Big Grin

Quote:Flashlights for both of those too

Pistol grips for each too (I guess I would consider personal carry self-defense to only mean pistols)

Extended magazines would not be legal. Nor grenade launcher attachments. Or bayonet attachments (except for period pieces owned for collecting)

Here's an example of weapon type and accessories:
[Image: 1Evil1Not.jpg]

The top rifle is not designated as an "assault weapon" but the bottom one is. Why?
They are both semi-automatic rifles that fire .223 cal (5,56x45 NATO) ammunition and utilize a detachable box magazine.

Here they are again with the top not-an-assault-weapon sporting a 20-round magazine just like the "assault weapon".
[Image: BothEvil.jpg]

The AR has a pistol grip and a collapsible stock. That is the only functional difference. Those 'accessories' do not make it more deadly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2013, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2013 10:21 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
I'd avoid using words like assault rifle. But the usage of the gun would be defined by the owner /user for insurance.

As for the accessories, scopes and sites I should have said but not scopes for home defense.

Evolve
21-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Chas what's your stance on limiting capacity of magazines ?
21-08-2013, 10:22 AM
(21-08-2013 09:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  Chas what's your stance on limiting capacity of magazines ?

I'm against it as I don't believe it solves any problem. Besides, the law currently allows the possession and use of magazines manufactured before the 'assault weapons' ban, and there are millions of those.

I can change a magazine in the time it takes to fire one aimed shot, so whether I have 10-round or 20-round magazines makes no real difference.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user