Poll: Does the United States have a problem with guns?
Yes. Guns are signficant source of social ill in the US
No. Guns are not a contributing factor to the social problems of the US
Both. Guns are an issue in the US but are both a part of the problem and part of the solution
Unsure.
[Show Results]

Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2013, 10:24 AM
RE: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
(21-08-2013 10:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 09:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  Chas what's your stance on limiting capacity of magazines ?

I'm against it as I don't believe it solves any problem. Besides, the law currently allows the possession and use of magazines manufactured before the 'assault weapons' ban, and there are millions of those.

I can change a magazine in the time it takes to fire one aimed shot, so whether I have 10-round or 20-round magazines makes no real difference.

But it limits how many you can carry on your persons at any one time.

10 10-round magazines would take up quite a lot of space, perhaps only as much as 5 20-round magazines, but you have at least 10 extra if you've a 20 round clip in your rifle instead of a 10-round clip.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2013, 10:30 AM
(21-08-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  The AR has a pistol grip and a collapsible stock. That is the only functional difference. Those 'accessories' do not make it more deadly.

Yeah, but it's also black and scary. Down with this sort of thing!

... this is my signature!
21-08-2013, 11:03 AM
LOL the OP has failed before this thread left the 1st page.

Most cops in the US, who bust in your house mistakingly and shoot your dog, don't even GET an initial pysch exam, nor do they get bi-yearly one after that.

Then he wants to limit magazine capacity and ability to buy ammo but want's people trained on safe and effective gun handling?
21-08-2013, 11:57 AM
(21-08-2013 11:03 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  LOL the OP has failed before this thread left the 1st page.

Most cops in the US, who bust in your house mistakingly and shoot your dog, don't even GET an initial pysch exam, nor do they get bi-yearly one after that.

Then he wants to limit magazine capacity and ability to buy ammo but want's people trained on safe and effective gun handling?

Your proposed solution is ... ? Or you don't think there is a problem ?

Why not more training for cops and psych exams for cops then ? I fail to see how the proposed limits would negatively affect training on safe and effective gun handling...
21-08-2013, 12:01 PM
(21-08-2013 11:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 11:03 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  LOL the OP has failed before this thread left the 1st page.

Your proposed solution is ... ? Or you don't think there is a problem ?

Why not more training for cops and psych exams for cops then ? I fail to see how the proposed limits would negatively affect training on safe and effective gun handling...

I just ignore TBK. He is nothing more than a troll. You'd probably be best to do the same.

21-08-2013, 12:06 PM
(21-08-2013 12:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I just ignore TBK. He is nothing more than a troll. You'd probably be best to do the same.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt... Tongue
21-08-2013, 12:10 PM
(21-08-2013 12:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I just ignore TBK. He is nothing more than a troll. You'd probably be best to do the same.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt... Tongue

Good luck. Thumbsup

21-08-2013, 12:13 PM
(21-08-2013 10:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 10:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm against it as I don't believe it solves any problem. Besides, the law currently allows the possession and use of magazines manufactured before the 'assault weapons' ban, and there are millions of those.

I can change a magazine in the time it takes to fire one aimed shot, so whether I have 10-round or 20-round magazines makes no real difference.

But it limits how many you can carry on your persons at any one time.

Not really. The magazines don't weigh much.

Quote:10 10-round magazines would take up quite a lot of space, perhaps only as much as 5 20-round magazines, but you have at least 10 extra if you've a 20 round clip in your rifle instead of a 10-round clip.

Twenty 10-round magazines will take up a little more space than 10 20-round magazines, and they will weigh slightly more.

The time to change magazines is very short. Yes, someone with 20-round magazines will be slightly more effective than someone with 10-round magazines.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2013, 12:17 PM
(21-08-2013 12:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 10:24 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But it limits how many you can carry on your persons at any one time.

Not really. The magazines don't weigh much.

Quote:10 10-round magazines would take up quite a lot of space, perhaps only as much as 5 20-round magazines, but you have at least 10 extra if you've a 20 round clip in your rifle instead of a 10-round clip.

Twenty 10-round magazines will take up a little more space than 10 20-round magazines, and they will weigh slightly more.

The time to change magazines is very short. Yes, someone with 20-round magazines will be slightly more effective than someone with 10-round magazines.

And what proponents of ammunition limits and magazine capacity limits are saying is, that decrease in efficiency may translate to lives not being lost, injury not being sustained, and increased frequency of reload that may mean increased opportunity for mistake.

Is a gun more likely to jam after a reload or during the same magazine?

21-08-2013, 12:44 PM
(21-08-2013 12:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not really. The magazines don't weigh much.

And what proponents of ammunition limits and magazine capacity limits are saying is, that decrease in efficiency may translate to lives not being lost, injury not being sustained, and increased frequency of reload that may mean increased opportunity for mistake.

That is a logical argument, but the difference is really small.

Quote:Is a gun more likely to jam after a reload or during the same magazine?

Actually, it is more likely within one magazine, and the larger the magazine the more likely it is. The spring tension is not constant over its length, so there can be problems feeding the next round. Thirty-round magazines are less reliable than twenties.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Happens when America can no longer feed the world? Revenant77x 62 791 28-07-2014 07:55 PM
Last Post: f stop
  Do guns cause Rape? What do you think is the leading cause of rape? LostandInsecure 96 1,482 31-05-2014 03:26 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Guns. Yee haw! Drunkin Druid 64 1,044 26-05-2014 04:09 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  The problem with storing guns/ammo at a range Phaedrus 2 64 28-04-2014 06:25 PM
Last Post: Phaedrus
  Polite discussion on guns itsnotmeitsyou 10 204 24-04-2014 11:26 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  When is america getting that revolution. Metazoa Zeke 50 610 09-04-2014 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mat0816
  The End of The Death Penalty in America Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 151 2,389 03-04-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver