Poll: Does the United States have a problem with guns?
Yes. Guns are signficant source of social ill in the US
No. Guns are not a contributing factor to the social problems of the US
Both. Guns are an issue in the US but are both a part of the problem and part of the solution
Unsure.
[Show Results]

Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Re: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
What generation hasn't been obsessed with violence and sex? You make it sound like it's a recent phenomenon. Shakespeare wrote some of the raunchiest plays ever and kids have dreamed of going to war ever since there was war.

And yes, murder rate is at an all time low. But if you look specifically at guns, you find that states with more stringent control laws fare better than those with lax laws.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Debate the merits of guns in America (poll added)
Your poll is biased.

The second option should read 'significant source' just like the first option. Not even a good try.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
28-08-2013, 03:06 PM
(28-08-2013 02:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Your poll is biased.

The second option should read 'significant source' just like the first option. Not even a good try.

I didn't vote, but good catch.

One might consider them a contributing factor (as in 2) without considering them a significant source (as in 1).

... this is my signature!
28-08-2013, 03:23 PM
(28-08-2013 12:32 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What generation hasn't been obsessed with violence and sex? You make it sound like it's a recent phenomenon. Shakespeare wrote some of the raunchiest plays ever and kids have dreamed of going to war ever since there was war.

In general, kids are a lot less violent than they used to be. They don't fight as much, and they can better figure out how to work things out peacefully. I've been a teacher. I've seen it.

Europe started along this path long before we did (I guess WW2 cured them of that Bullshit), and it has transformed their societies appreciably.

I mean think about it. Just after our country was founded, men kept slaves and participated in pistol duels. Such behavoir would get you thrown in prison nowadays. Back then, ya' could do that shit and still hope to become President.

So...don't tell me attitudes haven't changed from generation to generation!

Not all violence is because of the prescence of something. I mean, blaming gun crime on their being too many guns is a bit like blaming slavery on there being too many Black People. It just doesn't make sense.
28-08-2013, 11:42 PM
(28-08-2013 03:23 PM)Julius Wrote:  I mean, blaming gun crime on their being too many guns is a bit like blaming slavery on there being too many Black People.

Without guns there would be no gun crime. I highly doubt the same is true in your analogy with slavery. Having large numbers of guns available is surely a contributing factor to gun crime.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-08-2013, 05:20 AM
I don't remember what I wrote for the poll anymore (and can't see it on mobile) but I can assure you there was no bias intended.

Answer on your own if you like if you think I was trying to trick you.

Evolve

Smartass
29-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Whether you bias was intentional or not, it is there.

I think no sane person would say that it isn't a contributing factor, however I think it is an acceptable contribution. The other way round certainly has it's own problems as well.

29-08-2013, 02:16 PM
What do you mean that it is an "acceptable contribution"?

Evolve

Smartass
29-08-2013, 04:38 PM
(29-08-2013 02:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What do you mean that it is an "acceptable contribution"?

I mean it does contribute to societal ills, however I find the ill contribution to be with in a acceptable range. Keep in mind I'm not bothering to debate whether the positive affects on society outweigh the negative affects. We've already argued that. No point in running over the same old ground.