Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 09:37 PM
RE: Debate trail run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
(27-12-2012 09:31 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 09:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are or are not including working dogs?

Beasts of burden are not pets. They're essentially living machinery. They don't fall into those debate.
Beasts of burden? What?
  • Seeing eye dogs
  • guard dogs
  • drug-sniffing dogs
  • herding dogs
  • rescue dogs
  • cadaver search dogs
  • tracking dogs
  • service dogs
  • hunting dogs
  • therapy dogs

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 09:39 PM
(27-12-2012 09:35 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  You just lost.

There is no way that could ever come about honestly.
I wouldn't expect drug addicts to give up their drugs either. It'll be messy, but beneficial. For people (and animal, not forced to exist and live as toys for others). People can spend their time, money, and emotion on real people.
You missed my point. That could never happen.

27-12-2012, 09:42 PM
(27-12-2012 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 09:35 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I wouldn't expect drug addicts to give up their drugs either. It'll be messy, but beneficial. For people (and animal, not forced to exist and live as toys for others). People can spend their time, money, and emotion on real people.
You missed my point. That could never happen.
Previous post: Like I said, those animals act as living machinery. Their primary function isn't necessarily one of being a pet.

Above quote: The point being that it would be difficult for parties involved? Yeah, I got it. Like I said, it would be difficult to get drug addicts off their drugs too. But it should happen in order to benefit everyone involved.
Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 09:45 PM
(27-12-2012 09:42 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 09:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  You missed my point. That could never happen.
Previous post: Like I said, those animals act as living machinery. Their primary function isn't necessarily one of being a pet.

Above quote: The point being that it would be difficult for parties involved? Yeah, I got it. Like I said, it would be difficult to get drug addicts off their drugs too. But it should happen in order to benefit everyone involved.
The pet owners will out-vote the pet exterminators. If they haven't shot them first.

27-12-2012, 09:47 PM
(27-12-2012 09:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Did you, by chance, mean "trial run"?

No, it shouldn't be illegal.

I give my three pets a good home. They likely would not have existed, ever, if we had never domesticated dogs and cats. If they did exist, in a slightly less domesticated version, their life in the wild would be one of constant discomfort, hunger, and fear.

My pets are sheltered, well-fed, and they are loved and they love my family back. Is it love? I think so; they sure are affectionate.

I would never support any laws that get in the way of living and loving. We already have too many of those laws, and this suggestion is unnecessarily ludicrous.

They are not dolls and it's certainly my choice how and on what I spend my money.
1. Yes, "trial".

2. Those animals only reason for existence is to serve their master, as a living doll, for emotional masturbation. Giving it to a sack of meat instead of living people. People who can appreciate it, and reciprocate to the rest of society.
People can spend their money on drugs, but they shouldn't. Those people and society as a whole would be better off if they didn't. And drugs are still fairly illegal.

3. To your other post, yes, devils advocate. Did you read the first post? Try arguing from the point of view of the person you don't agree with if you find your side to easy to defend.
27-12-2012, 09:49 PM
(27-12-2012 09:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  The pet owners will out-vote the pet exterminators. If they haven't shot them first.
True enough. But the debate is "should" it be made illegal, not "could it successfully be made illegal".
27-12-2012, 09:50 PM
If you saw my dogs curled up, one using a pillow to rest his head and the stack of toys and various beds around here for them, you would know that they are part of this family. My children are grown...I took care of them, fed, clothed, housed and educated them until they were ready to go out and make their way. Now I have my dogs. They have a good life, they pretty much run the place. I didn't take anything away from anybody by taking them into my life. I was done raising kids...now I have my pets.

Why should they be illegal...how are my dogs bothering you in any way or costing you a thing? They aren't being cared for with welfare money. They get their required vaccinations, they are kept within the confines of our property. They are a joy and a comfort for me to have around. They will never be tossed out on the side of the road like pieces of trash. Two of three are fixed, the third will be this spring, they aren't creating more puppies. They are excellent watch dogs making it unnecessary for us to have an alarm system.

If you don't want pets, don't have any. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else should line up in lockstep with you.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-12-2012, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 10:10 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(27-12-2012 09:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you saw my dogs curled up, one using a pillow to rest his head and the stack of toys and various beds around here for them, you would know that they are part of this family. My children are grown...I took care of them, fed, clothed, housed and educated them until they were ready to go out and make their way. Now I have my dogs. They have a good life, they pretty much run the place. I didn't take anything away from anybody by taking them into my life. I was done raising kids...now I have my pets.

Why should they be illegal...how are my dogs bothering you in any way or costing you a thing? They aren't being cared for with welfare money. They get their required vaccinations, they are kept within the confines of our property. They are a joy and a comfort for me to have around. They will never be tossed out on the side of the road like pieces of trash. Two of three are fixed, the third will be this spring, they aren't creating more puppies. They are excellent watch dogs making it unnecessary for us to have an alarm system.

If you don't want pets, don't have any. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else should line up in lockstep with you.
note: I'd like to stress people read the thread post. This is purely all devils advocate, exploring every possible, half decent argument, that could be made on a particular subject. Try to make it less personal, and emotionally invested (it's all for exercise) for both parties. Users might be less inclined to try an argument out if they're responding to someone on a personal level. Instead of personal testimony, maybe general testimony "Pet owners would say..."

1. A pet owner might have given time, money, and emotional support to others, and then think their duty is done, but the pet is still diverting much of what's left. The pet shouldn't exist, and shouldn't be getting any of that time, money, support.

2. There are billions of people in the world that need that time, money, and support, and few hundred in your neighbourhood. They are more sentient and appreciative of it, and they can reciprocate to the world at large too. Pets are just diverting all that time, money, support that could be put to better use to people who really need it.
People are living alone, going hungry, going on shooting sprees, etc. Be with another human being instead of an animal.
27-12-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
Tell me what my argument is allowed to be.

How's this...no, pets should not be made illegal. This is based on my experience as a pet owner, the daughter of a veterinarian, and the granddaughter of farmers. Animals are important to people in many ways, as food, as workers, and as companions.

I do donate to domestic abuse shelters, the pets have never kept me from doing that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-12-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
I'd be willing to discuss this topic if it wasn't for the fact that there are, much like with abortion, little to no fact-based arguments to be made for either side. It often comes down to opinion-based arguments, differentiating personal preferences and appeals to emotion. Let's see if someone is able to come up with an argument that doesn't fall in any of the aforementioned categories.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]