Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 11:00 PM
RE: Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
((Do you mean like common pets, cats, dogs, ect? Or more exotic animals?))

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 12:44 AM
RE: Debate trail run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
What Chas said. And even if there weren't so many animals, you'd
basically be condemning the to extinction. They couldn't live anywhere,
they'd just run the streets and get killed by cars or die of starvation.
And it certainly wouldn't be cost effective to euthanize them all,
either.
(27-12-2012 09:35 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Be with another human being instead of an animal.
Fuck this shit, I hate people. If I were forced to kill my pets, I just wouldn't spend my money, time or emotion on anybody. This also seems to be implying that each person only has a tiny amount of emotion, which they are squandering on pets, rather than most people having plenty of time and emotions for people and other animals.

I mean, humans are overpopulated too. Doesn't mean I go around calling for mass euthanization of children. Children can't reciprocate any better than animals, and they are even worse at taking care of themselves. Also, dogs are cuter than babies (even cats are cuter than human larvae, I'd say). The amount of money usually spent on pets is rather negligible compared to what would be spent on babies.

They shouldn't exist? Well, even if true, that doesn't change the fact that they DO exist. I don't agree with things like overbreeding, puppy mills, dogfighting, etc., but I don't see the problem with pet existence. You seem to be saying it's better to kill all animals than spend time and money on them, and I do disagree with that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2012, 03:02 AM
(27-12-2012 10:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'd be willing to discuss this topic if it wasn't for the fact that there are, much like with abortion, little to no fact-based arguments to be made for either side. It often comes down to opinion-based arguments, differentiating personal preferences and appeals to emotion. Let's see if someone is able to come up with an argument that doesn't fall in any of the aforementioned categories.
OK, as an issue of public health. Pets are a vector for disease, such as toxocariasis. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis ). People are injured by pets that bite, scratch and in other ways cause harm. It could be argued that pet ownership as a legal right, is not justified when measured against one case of blindness or one animal attack.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
28-12-2012, 04:29 AM
(28-12-2012 03:02 AM)Humakt Wrote:  OK, as an issue of public health. Pets are a vector for disease, such as toxocariasis. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis ). People are injured by pets that bite, scratch and in other ways cause harm. It could be argued that pet ownership as a legal right, is not justified when measured against one case of blindness or one animal attack.
Women die sometimes in childbirth. It could be argued that procreation as a right is not justified when measured against even one case of maternal death.

On a serious note, I'm not sure if that works. There are lot of potentially dangerous things people do (own cars, weapons, going skydiving, whatever). I mean, even food is a vector for disease (potentially).
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
28-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Come to my house to kill my animal companions and my personal defense dog, and I will kill you and anyone who tries first. Seriously.

And I bet I wouldn't be alone. You'd have to kill a ton of people to get to their animal companions.

Animal companions serve a purpose, they fill in where people fail.

You'd have to assign people to me who will love me unconditionally, are focussed on me 24 hours a day, sense my moods and remedy the bad ones, give their lives to defend me, do as I say and are content to eat crappy, monotonous, cheap food.

You would cause countless murders and suicides if you went ahead with such a heartless, stupid, ill conceived plan.

End of rant.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
28-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Wow. Trial run sends Dom on a homicidal rampage. Cool! Cool

Yeah! Kill 'em all! Fucking furbags; consuming resource, taking up space, spreading disease and fur and fleas and... George stole my fucking seat! Ohmy

With disassociation, it seems a logical suggestion; but it ain't ever happening 'cause peeps are all emotional and shit. So...

FAIL. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Since my cats seem to own me does that mean I have to be killed?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
28-12-2012, 11:37 AM
(28-12-2012 04:29 AM)amyb Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 03:02 AM)Humakt Wrote:  OK, as an issue of public health. Pets are a vector for disease, such as toxocariasis. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis ). People are injured by pets that bite, scratch and in other ways cause harm. It could be argued that pet ownership as a legal right, is not justified when measured against one case of blindness or one animal attack.
Women die sometimes in childbirth. It could be argued that procreation as a right is not justified when measured against even one case of maternal death.

On a serious note, I'm not sure if that works. There are lot of potentially dangerous things people do (own cars, weapons, going skydiving, whatever). I mean, even food is a vector for disease (potentially).
Didn't say it was valid, or that I believed it. I was supplying an argument not based of emotion, however if there were ever to be a ban on pet ownership, public health is the most probable cause of that I can think of. Procreation and eating are just silly and I'm sure you know that, no childbirth, no humans so a law banning procreation is as massively disproportional as you can get, equal a law against eating kill everyone. Car, weapons and sky diving are better examples, weapons are illegal mostly and where they are legal deaths are numerous, cars or more broadly transport make our society possible without it our cities would starve, still an argument could made against private ownership. Skydiving and similar sports again could easily face sanction.

Alcohol and tobacco, especially tobacco are probably the premier examples of mass killers with no redeeming features that are legal. Although, I'm a smoker, so even if Ive accused you of being a little silly, I'm the idiot Smile.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
28-12-2012, 11:48 AM
You can't make an unemotional move on something that all people concerned are completely emotional about.

Havoc will result.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-12-2012, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 12:03 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
RE: Debate trail run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
(27-12-2012 09:31 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Beasts of burden are not pets. They're essentially living machinery. They don't fall into this debate.
This is all said after the use of horses. Though there are several theories when horses were domesticated, the history of horses in human culture can be traced back as far as 30,000 BC, when horses were depicted in Paleolithic cave paintings. They were probably killed for their meat back then, but when they were domesticated, they had plenty of uses. They where there primarily for work, and not as pets. Humans went further and faster than ever before, and inspired humans to create vehicles. There is debate on whether they are livestock, companion animals or pets. In some places, like the Amish culture, they are still used as livestock. In the end they are viewed as livestock, and as Webster's dictionary (1977) defines livestock as animals kept or raised for use or pleasure, I ask if that is the definition you would give to a pet of any kind.

Also, take a dog or cat for example, in many places, they are pets. In others, they are used as food. And there are occurrences where animals who are pets have been stolen and killed for their meat, in this century.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]