Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 12:17 PM
RE: Debate trial run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
Companion animals are "machinery" also.

They contribute greatly to the psychologial health of people.

As a matter of fact, I have met people who were prescribed a pet to help combat depression.

There are guide dogs for the blind, hearing ear dogs, dogs who fetch things for people in wheel chairs, dogs who are employed to speed healing of hospitalized people, police dogs, search and resuce dogs, bomb dogs, cadaver dogs, dogs who warn their owners of impeding seizures and more.

Cats are indispensable in the country side where they catch mice and scare off rats, they are proven to combat grief in older people who lost life time partners, elieviate clinical depression and more.

And they are not machines. My protection dog is here because he is so much more than a gun, he is scentient and because of his training can distinguish among people who mean well and who have bad intentions, he can hear and smell them approaching long before I can and he can defend me better than I ever could do myself. Throw in all the qualities I described in my previous post and he is my best friend.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Disclaimer: I am going to debate for the side that wants them illegal, just because. but for real you guys know my opinion. Anyway let's go...

Pet ownership, which includes all kinds of animals as companions or workers for humans, should be made illegal.
Here the reasons:

Pets as companion:
The pet itself gets nothing out of it. Will it fee loved? probably.
Did it chose to live in this family or with this human? No!
No matter how well you feed the pet, how well you excercise it and how well you keep it clean and warm, it is only there for your pleasure. When you are not at home, the pet is waiting. Even when you are working at home, you are not always with it, there are places where you go alone, for example the bathroom for a long shower, bedroom, office. Other forbidden places like the cellar with all the tools and dangerous equipment. Pets that are being kept as a companion are like having a child. But unlike having a child, they can not entertain themselves very well, they can not be sent to school or daycare. They will be bored most of their lifes, living only for the one or two hours of the day, when a normal working person plays with them, feeds, cuddles, or walks them. The other 22 hours are boring and torture. Like jail, just they did nothing wrong, they had no say in all of this, they just ended up with that human.

Pets with a job:
It is a disaster that nowadays we take animals to do jobs humans should do.
Therapy animals? Police dogs? Military dogs? Therapy dolphins? Horse therapy? Guardians, carriers, couriers.... etc...
All these jobs can be done by people. Why willing burden animals with jobs that they have nothing to do with in the first place? Why do I need an Ox to help me do the fields when there are machines to do it. Why would I send a Military dog in a dangerous place, into it's possible dead (!!) when it has nothing to do with the fights between humans. Giving an animal a job for a human is very unfair! Especially service dogs (like for blind people), they are actually trained to guard the person, to help in every situation like bringing the person to the other side of the road safely and such things. People would be able to talk, hand things over properly, help pay in a supermarket and things like that.
It is not too much, to say that animals are taking jobs away from humans, and therefore are raising unemployment rates. Maybe just a little, but even a little counts, in this economy.

Pets for food:
Breeding animals for food is an aweful thing to do. They are held in inhumane ways, killed cruelly and eaten and used and partly just being thrown away to rot. This is what the human race became.
Since we domesticated animals like this, and food is easily and cheaply obtainable, people get fatter, lazier, and unhealthier.
If food would have to be hunted down, it would be less easy, less cheap and from the excersize one would get from hunting, the obesety problem would go down on it's own again.

Moral side:
Noone should own another living creature. Pets have feelings and they want the companionship of their own. If it is a pet that likes to be alone, it should have the means of that. Like lions. Lions meet to mate and then they will walk around mostly on their own.
Other animals like dogs or birds like to be with their own. And let's face it, although some people have two or three of a kind, the vast majority doesn't. The animal feels lonely and will never be able to socialize with it's own kind.
Many people take the pet as a child substitude and they do treat them like humans. This is wrong. Pets have different needs than children. They do not need a name, their own room, clothes and many accesoirs. Pet ownership evolved into something pretty perverted.
The majority of people has no idea how to take care of their pets, they don't know when the suffering and the abuse begins and they simply walk over the line, not willing to learn more because it might hurt THEIR feelings.

I say, make pet ownership illegal!
We do not have to euthanize anything, noone has to kill their pets. Just let them die out if you want. Gettign new pets should be illegal, and withing 20 years a fair system will be reestablished. A pet-free system. Where pets are not being mentally and physicaly abused because there are not pets anymore.

PS.: Am I good? Woohoo, didn't think I could make such good arguments. Don't kill me, please, you know I love pets... Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
28-12-2012, 03:16 PM
wow, did I stop the discussion with this? does that mean I am right, and everyone feels bad for having a pet now?

28-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Lol, no, you left me speechless! Smile

Actually, work started kicking in. I am actually at work when I post here so I am here one minute and gone the next.

You wrote a pretty neat argument though that would take a lot of time to refute.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-12-2012, 03:19 PM
(28-12-2012 03:16 PM)Leela Wrote:  wow, did I stop the discussion with this? does that mean I am right, and everyone feels bad for having a pet now?

I'm back now. I was busy burning the pile of dead cats. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-12-2012, 04:29 PM
(28-12-2012 01:28 PM)Leela Wrote:  Disclaimer: I am going to debate for the side that wants them illegal, just because. but for real you guys know my opinion. Anyway let's go...

Pet ownership, which includes all kinds of animals as companions or workers for humans, should be made illegal.
Here the reasons:

Pets as companion:
The pet itself gets nothing out of it. Will it fee loved? probably.
Did it chose to live in this family or with this human? No!
No matter how well you feed the pet, how well you excercise it and how well you keep it clean and warm, it is only there for your pleasure. When you are not at home, the pet is waiting. Even when you are working at home, you are not always with it, there are places where you go alone, for example the bathroom for a long shower, bedroom, office. Other forbidden places like the cellar with all the tools and dangerous equipment. Pets that are being kept as a companion are like having a child. But unlike having a child, they can not entertain themselves very well, they can not be sent to school or daycare. They will be bored most of their lifes, living only for the one or two hours of the day, when a normal working person plays with them, feeds, cuddles, or walks them. The other 22 hours are boring and torture. Like jail, just they did nothing wrong, they had no say in all of this, they just ended up with that human.

Pets with a job:
It is a disaster that nowadays we take animals to do jobs humans should do.
Therapy animals? Police dogs? Military dogs? Therapy dolphins? Horse therapy? Guardians, carriers, couriers.... etc...
All these jobs can be done by people. Why willing burden animals with jobs that they have nothing to do with in the first place? Why do I need an Ox to help me do the fields when there are machines to do it. Why would I send a Military dog in a dangerous place, into it's possible dead (!!) when it has nothing to do with the fights between humans. Giving an animal a job for a human is very unfair! Especially service dogs (like for blind people), they are actually trained to guard the person, to help in every situation like bringing the person to the other side of the road safely and such things. People would be able to talk, hand things over properly, help pay in a supermarket and things like that.
It is not too much, to say that animals are taking jobs away from humans, and therefore are raising unemployment rates. Maybe just a little, but even a little counts, in this economy.

Pets for food:
Breeding animals for food is an aweful thing to do. They are held in inhumane ways, killed cruelly and eaten and used and partly just being thrown away to rot. This is what the human race became.
Since we domesticated animals like this, and food is easily and cheaply obtainable, people get fatter, lazier, and unhealthier.
If food would have to be hunted down, it would be less easy, less cheap and from the excersize one would get from hunting, the obesety problem would go down on it's own again.

Moral side:
Noone should own another living creature. Pets have feelings and they want the companionship of their own. If it is a pet that likes to be alone, it should have the means of that. Like lions. Lions meet to mate and then they will walk around mostly on their own.
Other animals like dogs or birds like to be with their own. And let's face it, although some people have two or three of a kind, the vast majority doesn't. The animal feels lonely and will never be able to socialize with it's own kind.
Many people take the pet as a child substitude and they do treat them like humans. This is wrong. Pets have different needs than children. They do not need a name, their own room, clothes and many accesoirs. Pet ownership evolved into something pretty perverted.
The majority of people has no idea how to take care of their pets, they don't know when the suffering and the abuse begins and they simply walk over the line, not willing to learn more because it might hurt THEIR feelings.

I say, make pet ownership illegal!
We do not have to euthanize anything, noone has to kill their pets. Just let them die out if you want. Gettign new pets should be illegal, and withing 20 years a fair system will be reestablished. A pet-free system. Where pets are not being mentally and physicaly abused because there are not pets anymore.

(27-12-2012 10:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  It often comes down to opinion-based arguments, differentiating personal preferences and appeals to emotion.

Sorry Leela, but your arguments are exactly that. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-12-2012, 06:59 PM
RE: Debate trail run. "Pet ownership should be made illegal"
(27-12-2012 09:42 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Previous post: Like I said, those animals act as living machinery. Their primary function isn't necessarily one of being a pet.
I am quite sure that the well-being of said service animal contender will find itself in a more luxurious state than that of the average human being from an undeveloped country.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-12-2012, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 07:12 PM by Logica Humano.)
(28-12-2012 01:28 PM)Leela Wrote:  Pets with a job:
It is a disaster that nowadays we take animals to do jobs humans should do. It is not too much, to say that animals are taking jobs away from humans, and therefore are raising unemployment rates. Maybe just a little, but even a little counts, in this economy.
For the therapeutic usage of an animal, what if it happens that the human being is more relaxed and attached to animals? One of my childhood friends is autistic and, to this day, he continues to reaffirm his trusting canines more than his trusting a person. In addition, your conclusion is nearly identical to that of the malformed argument against illegal immigrants (and no, I am not equating illegal immigrants to a working dog). Would a person really be content with the many jobs animals perform? But, if one were to ignore said fact, I would also argue that training a working dog, for instance, creates jobs, since said animal would require staff to train and utilize the animal in the real world.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Vosur, yes, pets are mainly held because of emotion, therefore the logical counteraction is to appeal emotion. Also these things are not opinions, they are facts. Read again, tell me where I'm wrong. I'll be more than happy to go into detail.

Logica humano: If pets were not allowed, these people, who like to work with/on animals, would still have a job. They would probably work in some kind of "pet patrol" or "pet control" or in the security system. Making sure that no wild animals enter cities, so people stay save. See? And in addition the jobs the animals take would be done by people. Also sorry for the autistic person in your family, but the people are animals, too. For autistic people there may be a fitting human out there, just saying. Taking the easy way out, give him a pet, is lazy. People should help people. Having a pet be in charge of the wellbeing and the mental health of a person is not the right way (as I mentioned previously).

28-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Dammit, Leela, you're wrong cause I'm George's human and he gets way more outta the deal than I do. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post