Debate with Theists- Be Honest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Debate with Theists- Be Honest
I wanted to hear from people because I was just wondering if anyone had ever witnessed just a terrible example of atheist-theist interaction. I'm sure at times everyone- Christians, Jews, Muslims, even Atheists- hears something that just internally makes them Weeping If I'm honest, some of the arguments you've retold here would fall into that category. This comes from something that happened when I was at uni.

We were in classics class. The topic was creation stories and it was Genesis week. The boy who was doing the presentation started off by saying, 'ok I'm approaching this just like any other creation story, looking at the text, context, mythology, etc. But I probably should say..' and here everyone just looked at each other, thinking 'no, no NO don't do it!'
'I'm a Christian. But that hasn't influenced how I've looked at it at all.'
Well, that was it. Even though he started off well- didn't bring Christianity into it at all, actually dissected the text and context, and even did some analysis that wouldn't go over very well with some literal fundamentalists- he didn't get more than 10 minutes in before it started.
Interrupting him, our lecturer then spent the remaining HOUR on a personal rant about religion- how stupid it was, how stupid anyone was to have any faith, how she basically didn't think anyone who could have time for religion would have any trace of intelligence in them at all. And most of this spoken directly to the poor boy who just wanted to do his tutorial presentation. For the rest of the class, she didn't take a breath. No questions, no discussion. And everyone just sat there stunned.

Now I've seen personal insults, I've seen flawed arguments. I've never seen anything like this in terms of full on venom from this teacher over something so unrelated to what was going on. Even my atheist friends said after the class that she had taken the slightest opportunity to start her rant and had been an embarrassment to what she said she believed. And to tell you the truth it in part shaped how I saw atheist arguments at the time- more full of hot air and empty attacks than anything worth listening to.

So, a sad story, but it made me think. As a Christian, there have been many times where you hear a debate, or something's preached, or quoted on the tv and you just think 'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?' So be honest. What's the least intelligent/helpful or childish argument you've heard (or even used in your earlier days) that just frustrate the absolute HELL out of you when it comes up?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: Debate with Theists- Be Honest
(04-11-2013 03:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  As a Christian, there have been many times where you hear a debate, or something's preached, or quoted on the tv and you just think 'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?' So be honest. What's the least intelligent/helpful or childish argument you've heard (or even used in your earlier days) that just frustrate the absolute HELL out of you when it comes up?

Um... as a Christian Huh You do know we don't got a helluva lot of them right ? And the ones we do got are kinda... special. You know, the kind that you might be tempted to think
Quote:'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?'
Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-11-2013, 04:28 PM
(04-11-2013 04:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  Um... as a Christian Huh You do know we don't got a helluva lot of them right ? And the ones we do got are kinda... special. You know, the kind that you might be tempted to think

Oops, 'you' as in 'in my experience with other Christians'. I'm sure religious people aren't the only ones who throw bad arguments out there while the rest look on resisting the urge to throttle them. And anyway, I can't let the specials ones have all the fun with you guys, can I? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Yasmin's post
04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
(04-11-2013 03:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  As a Christian, there have been many times where you hear a debate, or something's preached, or quoted on the tv and you just think 'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?'?

Uhm... you do know where you are, right? Dodgy

Perhaps that teacher was a shitty teacher; they are supposed to be impartial.

To be honest... perhaps your perception of the situation was colored by your own religious view.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Discussions between theists and atheists go south all the time. Just start reading on this forum.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-11-2013, 04:49 PM
(04-11-2013 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Uhm... you do know where you are, right? Dodgy
Sorry, see above. Bad phrasing on my part. Plus, I find it funny/ strange that on a forum where people boast about getting banned from religious forums, a lone little Christian girl wanders in and everyone's trying to point out that it is an atheist forum and trolls aren't welcome Huh Granted, I gather you get a lot of hit-and-run fundamentalists here.

(04-11-2013 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  To be honest... perhaps your perception of the situation was colored by your own religious view.
I don't think so. Even my atheist friends were embarrassed (hence the thread)
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
(04-11-2013 04:49 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Uhm... you do know where you are, right? Dodgy
Sorry, see above. Bad phrasing on my part. Plus, I find it funny/ strange that on a forum where people boast about getting banned from religious forums, a lone little Christian girl wanders in and everyone's trying to point out that it is an atheist forum and trolls aren't welcome Huh Granted, I gather you get a lot of hit-and-run fundamentalists here.

(04-11-2013 04:32 PM)kim Wrote:  To be honest... perhaps your perception of the situation was colored by your own religious view.
I don't think so. Even my atheist friends were embarrassed (hence the thread)

Actually, we allow trolls here - it's free speech.

Anyway, I don't have an anecdote for you. But I do see conversations spin out of control here quite a bit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
(04-11-2013 03:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  We were in classics class. The topic was creation stories and it was Genesis week.

Record scratch .............WTF is is Genesis week. ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
It's hard to judge this situation based on a second-hand account, but ranting against religion is not really an effective strategy for communicating to believers. But yes - we're used to seeing bad arguments from the believer side here... sometimes in the form of a rant, sometimes in the form of an argument.

I suggest following The Atheist Experience[1] for a while to get a hold of what the general theist arguments and counterarguments are.

[1] http://www.atheist-experience.com/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
(04-11-2013 03:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  ...
What's the least intelligent/helpful or childish argument you've heard (or even used in your earlier days) that just frustrate the absolute HELL out of you when it comes up?

I think you're asking about 'facepalm moments'.

For me, it's this...

"Because...
< Insert baseless assertion here >
< Insert nonsensical non sequitur here >
< insert bible quote here >
God loves you and is sending you to hell."

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post