Debate with Theists- Be Honest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 07:15 AM
RE: Debate with Theists- Be Honest
It's not axiomatically true that if you respect others they will respect you. I think the actual Confucius quote is "己所不欲,勿施于人 (What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others)"[1] ie the golden rule. In particular, religiously-motivated homophobic bullying is not going to be subdued by the victim offering up respect to his abusers. Your quote[2] doesn't dent my respect for Stephen Wink

But yes, I would wish for less name calling and more effective reasoned debate and discussion than we sometimes see on this forum.

[1] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Confucius#Other_chapters
[2] https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/37...9431045120

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
(06-11-2013 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's not axiomatically true that if you respect others they will respect you. I think the actual Confucius quote is "己所不欲,勿施于人 (What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others)"[1] ie the golden rule. In particular, religiously-motivated homophobic bullying is not going to be subdued by the victim offering up respect to his abusers. Your quote[2] doesn't dent my respect for Stephen Wink

But yes, I would wish for less name calling and more effective reasoned debate and discussion than we sometimes see on this forum.

Says you.

Shit head.

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
(04-11-2013 04:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 03:51 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  As a Christian, there have been many times where you hear a debate, or something's preached, or quoted on the tv and you just think 'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?' So be honest. What's the least intelligent/helpful or childish argument you've heard (or even used in your earlier days) that just frustrate the absolute HELL out of you when it comes up?

Um... as a Christian Huh You do know we don't got a helluva lot of them right ? And the ones we do got are kinda... special. You know, the kind that you might be tempted to think
Quote:'Why God? Why is this idiot the ones to represent the rest of us?'
Tongue

Hahaha! Well played!
06-11-2013, 07:15 PM
(04-11-2013 08:49 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 06:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think you're asking about 'facepalm moments'.
Yep, that's the word I was looking for, but I wanted to know if atheists ever get surprised or embarrassed by atheists . Theists can recognise and even laugh at our own people sometimes, I was wondering if you ever had any facepalm moments where you thought 'if everyone judged atheism by what that guy just said, I wouldn't blame them for thinking we were idiots.'

(04-11-2013 06:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  < Insert baseless assertion here >
< Insert nonsensical non sequitur here >
< insert bible quote here >
God loves you and is sending you to hell."
Yeah, got to agree with you on that one. Smile

Happens all the time. Look at any of Chippy's posts and you will see his ridiculous need to not only be an expert on everything - which betrays an obscene superiority complex - but he does so in such a way that turns anyone off to listening to him.

Welcome to the forum!
06-11-2013, 07:30 PM
(06-11-2013 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's not axiomatically true that if you respect others they will respect you. I think the actual Confucius quote is "己所不欲,勿施于人 (What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others)"[1] ie the golden rule. In particular, religiously-motivated homophobic bullying is not going to be subdued by the victim offering up respect to his abusers. Your quote[2] doesn't dent my respect for Stephen Wink

Agreed. From the amount of abuse that man has taken, he is justified in his lack of respect. Everyone can have a bad day, remember that.

But yes, the name calling is rarely helpful
06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
(06-11-2013 07:15 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Happens all the time. Look at any of Chippy's posts and you will see his ridiculous need to not only be an expert on everything - which betrays an obscene superiority complex - but he does so in such a way that turns anyone off to listening to him.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with many of his "opinions" but can't stand the EGO tripping.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
(06-11-2013 07:32 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 07:15 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Happens all the time. Look at any of Chippy's posts and you will see his ridiculous need to not only be an expert on everything - which betrays an obscene superiority complex - but he does so in such a way that turns anyone off to listening to him.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with many of his "opinions" but can't stand the EGO tripping.

It's ridiculous. He even had to be an expert and by technical and logomachist about enemas and douchebags for god's sake.
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
(06-11-2013 07:40 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  It's ridiculous. He even had to be an expert and by technical and logomachist about enemas and douchebags for god's sake.

That was my favorite part of the whole thread! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-11-2013, 12:19 AM

Serves me right for trying to source quotes from outside my own territory Blush
I've always tried to abide by the golden rule- especially on forums- not because I necessarily think people will treat me better for it, but because at least then I know I haven't said anything I couldn't respect myself for.
[+] 1 user Likes Yasmin's post
07-11-2013, 01:37 AM

That would be worth re-telling if you were correct. You were wrong about that also.

Regarding the worst arguments you would definitely be a candidate. You were losing an argument with excubitor so you basically just agreed with him and said something to the effect of "but your god is crap so I wouldn't worship him anyway". The argument was about the existence of god and your killer argument was it doesn't matter if he exists. Great argument.

Then there was also your Matrix argument...

Then there was your gravity argument...

You suck at arguing a point and you know I can argue a point and that is why you PMd me seeking my help. That is going to stick in your craw for some time. Good.

One of the reasons I am so abrasive towards some of the people on this forum is because I want to give them a taste of their own medicine--and that I have. You are one of the people on this forum that calls all theists stupid and ignorant. As such I demonstrate that you are stupid and ignorant whenever I can be bothered. I've pounded Fulton into a pulp and I took a huge crap on his friend "Diogenes" and his self-published piece of shit book for similar reasons. When I say that I have no problem being an asshole that is what I mean. If I had an aversion to being called an asshole I would have to bite my tongue when I see theists being unjustifiably ridiculed by atheists on this forum. I have no need for any such solidarity so I will prosecute my agenda with impartiality. As far as I am concerned I am the one with sound principles, and being an asshole in that context is a badge of honour.

There are extremely intelligent theists. Donald Knuth, for example, is a Lutheran, and he is a genius. I wouldn't dare even imply that I am more intelligent than Knuth merely because I don't believe in a God. You apparently have no such concern.

All of my encounters on this forum with theists have been mutually respectful and I haven't insulted their intelligence by serving them up canned and reheated arguments. The canned and reheated argument is your staple and you can't even do that well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user