Debate with Theists- Be Honest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 02:07 PM
RE: Debate with Theists- Be Honest
Whenever someone calls the bible (or other such book) a book of fairy tales I get a little twitch in my eye Shocking
Thinking like that is not productive at all for either side. It isn't something that people just pulled out their collective asses but has a history of a culture's values of a certain time of the past. Thats a very important thing to know, the past. It was meant to stay in the past, not everything in the bible is timeless, especially its cosmology. Oh.. then we get the fundamentalists and I'm sure you know the trouble they can and have caused. I view religions as mythologies, this is not to mean they are worthless and by no means insulting but folks take it the wrong way from time to time.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Twitch away friend Wink I am happy to call religion a fairytale. It calls attention to the fact that it has *as little reason* to be believed as anything out of Hans Christian Andersen. And HCA is far more fun and less detrimental.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-11-2013, 03:07 PM
(17-11-2013 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  Twitch away friend Wink I am happy to call religion a fairytale. It calls attention to the fact that it has *as little reason* to be believed as anything out of Hans Christian Andersen. And HCA is far more fun and less detrimental.

I agree with everything you said but one thing.

Hans Christian Anderson is not a good comparison. The bible is much darker than that. I'd say Grimm,its like anything by Grimm.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
17-11-2013, 03:31 PM
(17-11-2013 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  Twitch away friend Wink I am happy to call religion a fairytale. It calls attention to the fact that it has *as little reason* to be believed as anything out of Hans Christian Andersen. And HCA is far more fun and less detrimental.
If someone is taking the whole as literal truth then I would share your sentiments. Not everyone is out there pushing creationism in schools or wants to pass legislation for censoring criticisms or blowing themselves up. Religion will never go away, it's a response to our mortality, the human condition. Sure there are better ways now but it was the first and won't be the last. Maybe it is irrational to think that things can change to hope that everyone could coexist. Maybe I'll never get rid of that eye twitch eitherTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell