Debates with father causing anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2016, 09:39 PM
RE: Debates with father causing anxiety
Quote: My dad is insistent on me maintaining a "Catholic worldview"

I'm wondering what that is. I think of it as molesting children and watching the church hierarchy cover it up as best they can.

Here, look through this.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...stian.html

See if any of it can help you out.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I think morality may be more difficult to find a common ground on than you think Confused Essentially it boils down to feelings. Feeling what's right and wrong. CS Lewis and other clowns would have you believe that that's because God puts a desire to do the right thing in your heart. He may try to sneak up on you with an absolute morality argument - it goes something like "God is the author of an absolute morality. Humans couldn't possibly have come up with a common morality across cultures. Therefore God exists."

The secular argument for morality is that it's a survival mechanism. Altruism and so forth are wildly successful as survival tools because a tribe is stronger than an individual. Cultures with laws against murder etc are cultures with greater survival potential. Although see Aztec religion for a bizarre and interesting stable situation where state sanctioned human sacrifice formed the bedrock of society (IIRC, I haven't really paid too much attention to it).

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-09-2016, 06:34 AM
(25-09-2016 10:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think morality may be more difficult to find a common ground on than you think Confused Essentially it boils down to feelings. Feeling what's right and wrong. CS Lewis and other clowns would have you believe that that's because God puts a desire to do the right thing in your heart. He may try to sneak up on you with an absolute morality argument - it goes something like "God is the author of an absolute morality. Humans couldn't possibly have come up with a common morality across cultures. Therefore God exists."

The secular argument for morality is that it's a survival mechanism. Altruism and so forth are wildly successful as survival tools because a tribe is stronger than an individual. Cultures with laws against murder etc are cultures with greater survival potential. Although see Aztec religion for a bizarre and interesting stable situation where state sanctioned human sacrifice formed the bedrock of society (IIRC, I haven't really paid too much attention to it).

Well, yeah, I don't think he'll agree with me. Wink But he's not the sort to use an argument like that for the same reason he hasn't tried to argue from the complexity of the world. He's expressed disdain for those arguments in the past and by far prefers to work with metaphysics/advanced philosophy(which is where I have trouble keeping up with him, haha). His main goal with morality seems to be to try and show me the implications of my lack of belief. To make sure I'm not inconsistently still assuming there's some ultimate standard. I'm actually grateful, because he's basically saying if he can't convince me of his position, he wants to make sure I'm clear and consistent on my own position. Which should be fun and I think will help me in the long run.

Embrace the chaos
[+] 1 user Likes Unfallen_Skeptic's post