Debating Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Debating Theists
Hi,
Whenever I find myself debating a theist, it can be a tossup how the debate works out. I find that I have a hard time winning a debate, or even just holding my own, because frankly, I don't think I know how to debate well. Confused

Does anybody have some ideas for a strategy I could use? Maybe a "knock-out" blow for debates? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
RE: Debating Theists
(03-11-2012 08:46 PM)Jack Wrote:  Hi,
Whenever I find myself debating a theist, it can be a tossup how the debate works out. I find that I have a hard time winning a debate, or even just holding my own, because frankly, I don't think I know how to debate well. Confused

Does anybody have some ideas for a strategy I could use? Maybe a "knock-out" blow for debates? Tongue
Please explain in detail why you are having a hard time?

Debates are usually decided subjectively.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM

First off, remember, there is no "magic" bullet for a debate, nor theism. Beliefs are very subjective, very personal and vary from person to person. The objective of a debate is also usually not to "pwn the crap" out of someone or "obliterate" or see as "I won" but to convey a point.

- What is the point of the debate? What is the objective?
- What is the SUBJECT of the debate?
- Do you have any rules for a debate? If so, what are they?
- What are you using to argue your points?

Give us an example of a recent debate perhaps you've had.

Or perhaps, I can pretend to be a fundy from back in the day on this thread and you can "debate" me and we'll use it as a "practice", how's that sound? I'm more than happy to use the stuff I "used to use" back when I was a Christian, if you're up for it. Afterwards, I would be happy to provide you with feedback, point out any logical fallacies and such.
03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
(03-11-2012 08:52 PM)Logisch Wrote:  

First off, remember, there is no "magic" bullet for a debate, nor theism. Beliefs are very subjective, very personal and vary from person to person. The objective of a debate is also usually not to "pwn the crap" out of someone or "obliterate" or see as "I won" but to convey a point.

- What is the point of the debate? What is the objective?
- What is the SUBJECT of the debate?
- Do you have any rules for a debate? If so, what are they?
- What are you using to argue your points?

Give us an example of a recent debate perhaps you've had.

Or perhaps, I can pretend to be a fundy from back in the day on this thread and you can "debate" me and we'll use it as a "practice", how's that sound? I'm more than happy to use the stuff I "used to use" back when I was a Christian, if you're up for it. Afterwards, I would be happy to provide you with feedback, point out any logical fallacies and such.
Or maybe you could debate me, and he could take notes about how I approach things?

I agree with an evaluation of how you debate.

I also agree that there is no "Sure thing" strategy to win in a debate. The only thing close enough to that is trying to be as logical, and reasonable as you can be. Remember that there might be people watching the debate unfold so it is essential for you to take into account that while the subject might remain unconvinced of your position, the spectators might not be.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, often they will dodge a lot of my arguments.

If I quote the Old Testament, they'll explain that it "doesn't apply" because of the new covenant.

Or, I might try to ask if they believe god is all powerful, all knowing, and question free will, but they can often see that one coming and dodge it.

And if I quote from the New Testament, something from Paul, or maybe Timothy, they will say that those are the views of the apostle and not Christ/God himself.

Just seems like my arguments fall apart after that.
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Someone could take notes all day on other people, but I think analyzing stuff from a self perspective would be good. It's easy to watch other people do stuff, but have a hard time looking at and putting yourself in your own shoes to look on the outside.

But I could put my old fundy pants on for old times sake if Jack wants either way.
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
(03-11-2012 08:58 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Someone could take notes all day on other people, but I think analyzing stuff from a self perspective would be good. It's easy to watch other people do stuff, but have a hard time looking at and putting yourself in your own shoes to look on the outside.

But I could put my old fundy pants on for old times sake if Jack wants either way.
Sure, but perhaps the way I debate seems like a good way to do it and might pick up good habits.

Either way, I am more than willing to help out to, but less wiling to pull on my creatard diapers.

03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
WHAT SAY YOU JACK!
03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks to The Community. We have a perfect resource for you to use if you are ever lacking in information:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

Thank Near, he is one of the most promising members on here.

03-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Cool, I like the "God is imaginary" link.

Sometimes I can have success in a debate by asking if the person believes Allah exists too(seems like a lot of christians don't think fondly of islam). If they say no, I can argue that there is no more evidence to support Allah's existence then their god, and work to prove that their god is in their mind. And if they say yes, I will cite the 2nd of the ten commandments.

Anyway, just looking to expand my knowledge on the subject so I can get better at this.