Debating Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Debating Theists
If you can get a Christian to agree that they believe that the Bible is 100% accurate, your set. Just start breaking out the math from Genesis 1:1. By the time you get to about Genesis 8 they will probably rage quit on you. (As a reference a cubit is generally 12-18 inches) And then when they finally get tired of listening, remind them that you still got 65 books to go, and your not even done with Genesis.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
06-02-2013, 07:22 PM
You can ask them to start reading The Atheist's Critique of the Bible, posted on the site here and available at Amazon. It manages to make you think and be hilarious. Also, Reltzik's tips on mistakes Christians make when talking to atheists. Many of us here have read a lot, so you can educate them.

In the end the burden of proof is on them. Remember you are not the one making extraordinary claims.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
06-02-2013, 08:42 PM
(03-11-2012 08:46 PM)Jack Wrote:  Hi,
Whenever I find myself debating a theist, it can be a tossup how the debate works out. I find that I have a hard time winning a debate, or even just holding my own, because frankly, I don't think I know how to debate well. Confused

Does anybody have some ideas for a strategy I could use? Maybe a "knock-out" blow for debates? Tongue
i sometimes argue with theists and while im doing it i ask myself why. it is pointless because those theists that argue are not really interested in hearing your point of view. i often wonder if they are only trying to convince themselves.
there are the theists who respect what you think and are interested in what you have to say but you will notice that this usually doesnt become a debate. these are the guys that accept evidence but still have their faith. these are the guys that wont feed you with apolagetic bullshit and lies. these are the theists that i for one respect.
i usually end any arguement with a theist with something like this: dont try to prove your god exists with "science" or mental gymnastics. just tell me you have faith. that i can accept.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
06-02-2013, 10:59 PM
(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  You can't ever prove God doesn't exist when every common sense observation suggest that He does.

If common sense is the best defense your God has, then we have every right to kill it. Gods that can be killed, should be killed. Common sense tells us that we exists upon a stationary planet, and common sense would be wrong. Common sense used to tell us diseases and mental disorders were caused by demons or evil spirits, and common sense would be wrong. Common sense leads us to believe we are solid, and common sense would be wrong.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  You can't debate away the impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Quite true, Jesus has had a huge impact on the world, but you need to take your rose colored glasses off. Jesus' impact does nothing to validate the existence of a God, any more so than the popularity of Justin Bieber makes his music any good. Arguably his best teaching, the so called 'golden rule', isn't even his idea. The Ethic of Reciprocity had been posited by many other thinkers long before Jesus. And lets not forget that for every good deed carried out in the name of Jesus is matched by an equal atrocity, for every act of charity there are acts of abuse, hatred, and death.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism only creates a void, it doesn't fill what it removes, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a solution for anyone.

Congratulations, you have a psychological dependency on your imaginary friend, that doesn't mean everyone else has to share in your crutch. An alcoholic that accuses non-drinkers of being unable to fill their 'voids' would sound just as vapid and puerile. We simply aren't addicted to the concept of God, or have kicked the habit in favor of things far healthier.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  I suggest you simply don't debate. No

And I suggest you hold your breath and pray until all of the atheists go away... Drinking Beverage

Also, you are really drawing out your departure. For someone with their own forum, you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here reminding us of your own departure (and apparent lack thereof).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-02-2013, 03:22 AM
(06-02-2013 10:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  You can't ever prove God doesn't exist when every common sense observation suggest that He does.

If common sense is the best defense your God has, then we have every right to kill it. Gods that can be killed, should be killed. Common sense tells us that we exists upon a stationary planet, and common sense would be wrong. Common sense used to tell us diseases and mental disorders were caused by demons or evil spirits, and common sense would be wrong. Common sense leads us to believe we are solid, and common sense would be wrong.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  You can't debate away the impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Quite true, Jesus has had a huge impact on the world, but you need to take your rose colored glasses off. Jesus' impact does nothing to validate the existence of a God, any more so than the popularity of Justin Bieber makes his music any good. Arguably his best teaching, the so called 'golden rule', isn't even his idea. The Ethic of Reciprocity had been posited by many other thinkers long before Jesus. And lets not forget that for every good deed carried out in the name of Jesus is matched by an equal atrocity, for every act of charity there are acts of abuse, hatred, and death.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism only creates a void, it doesn't fill what it removes, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a solution for anyone.

Congratulations, you have a psychological dependency on your imaginary friend, that doesn't mean everyone else has to share in your crutch. An alcoholic that accuses non-drinkers of being unable to fill their 'voids' would sound just as vapid and puerile. We simply aren't addicted to the concept of God, or have kicked the habit in favor of things far healthier.

(04-11-2012 12:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  I suggest you simply don't debate. No

And I suggest you hold your breath and pray until all of the atheists go away... Drinking Beverage

Also, you are really drawing out your departure. For someone with their own forum, you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here reminding us of your own departure (and apparent lack thereof).
I wonder if Egor can crawl using his arms, cos he's just been machine gunned at the knees?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
07-02-2013, 07:06 AM

You can't debate away the impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Atheism only creates a void, it doesn't fill what it removes, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a solution for anyone.

I suggest you simply don't debate. No
Not with you anyway if the only arguments you can bring to the table are piss-poor ones like these. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Take it easy on Egor he's a good reminder to any of us who are tempted to go back. A useful crutch for the wavering atheist. If you ever think that maybe there is something to theism all you need to do is read Egor and your non-faith is restored.

Anyway on the actual subject of this thread, I also think it depends on what you want to achieve from the debate. I think winning the debate in terms of your opponent crossing the floor to your point of view is generally unachievable and might be undesirable (I went on a three month bender when I realized there was no sky daddy). De-conversion is kind of like losing a member of the family, an imaginary one, but still a cherished member of the family. And I mourned their passing.

If all you want to do is deliver your message in a cogent and convincing way then you need to understand common arguments that theists present and read up on the fallacy the argument suffers from (invariably their is a fallacious element in their logic). And remember remain calm in the debate, it is an exchange of ideas not a judgement on your person and if they do make it a judgement on your person walk away no point in engaging in terrorists who try to label you evil or hell bound simply because you don't think like they do. That's my two cents.
[+] 1 user Likes Andrew_Njonjo's post
07-02-2013, 07:49 PM

You can't debate away the impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Atheism only creates a void, it doesn't fill what it removes, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a solution for anyone.

You can't ever prove God exists when every common sense observation suggest that He doesn't.

You can't debate away the negative impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Atheism has nothing to do with a void, it doesn't fill anything, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a problen for anyone. What it does is avoid irrationality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
(07-02-2013 07:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  

You can't ever prove God exists when every common sense observation suggest that He doesn't.

You can't debate away the negative impact the life and teachings of Jesus Christ have had on the world.

Atheism has nothing to do with a void, it doesn't fill anything, therefore, psychologically speaking, it's not a problen for anyone. What it does is avoid irrationality.

You fool!

Egor, ignore him! Keep debating!

It's funny.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.