Debating with Christians...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Debating with Christians...
Honestly, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Disproving their theories is as easy as counting to 3, but it feels almost impossible to win. I recently got into a huge debate on Twitter with a bunch of teenage girls that are a part of a group called "Young Life" where basically it's church for high school students. Well I confronted a few of them about only being "Christian" about 2% of their life, well they fired back of course. I pointed out the flaws of their beliefs, they called me closed minded because I've never experienced Christ in my life. Instant response for me was bringing up other religions and the narrow vision they have towards every religion as a whole and ignorantly believe that their religion is the truth. At one point in the debate one of the girls said all things are possible through Christ, and that through Young Life a man with no legs climbed a mountain. (A man in a wheelchair attended the camp and was carried up the mountain by 3 people) I brought that up and said that humans did that and not Christ, she said "You weren't there, you know nothing about it" (it was on the news) and in which I replied with "You weren't there when the Bible was written or Christ was born, you know nothing about it" Of course she never replied. Debating with these kind of people got my blood pumping and adrenaline going, mainly because they're so ignorant and arrogant at the same time it bothers me. Which brings me to the question, what argument or statement bothers you the most that the religious use? Mine would be that believing in Christ is not a religion, but a relationship. That was their main focus on the whole debate.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2013, 10:12 AM
RE: Debating with Christians...
(29-08-2013 09:38 AM)Misenhelter Wrote:  Honestly, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Disproving their theories is as easy as counting to 3, but it feels almost impossible to win.

You can NEVER, change the mind of a Christian.

Because, after they receive the Holy Spirit, they are "possessed", by God.

That is a one way street.

God starts talking to you.

And once you hear that

Katy

Bar the door.

This is real.

The ca ca hits the fan.

And NOBODY, will tell you different.

By the way.

The Second Coming, is "on the earth".

Right now.

His name is Mark Dreher.

And they talk to him personally, on a thread, on this very website.

Called "Welcome Mark Dreher".

Good luck to you.
29-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Have you read that quote about playing chess against a pigeon?

[Image: killing-floor-screen-banner.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes DancingSkeletons's post
29-08-2013, 10:21 AM
The one statement that really floors me is "you need to have an open mind". Kind of hilarious and angering at the same time. Why is does not register as ridiculous when it comes out of thier mouths just baffles me.
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
29-08-2013, 01:13 PM
The key is, you need to have a clear goal in your mind when you debate. Dissect that goal, generate strategies for achieving it, dissect those strategies. Go in with a realistic idea of your chances for success.

What's your goal in debating?

Is it for the adrenaline rush? Then you don't need to convince them of anything.

Is it to evaluate what they're saying, either as honest inquiry or a pro-forma "I'm pretty sure this latest thing is nuts but I'll give it a fair hearing" sort of way? That is, for your own personal consideration? Then you don't need to convince them of anything.

Is it to persuade them they're wrong? This will be difficult, as you noted, and you should be realistic about your chances. Go for the arguments that will haunt them long-term, rather than any in-the-moment knock-out punch. Deliberately aim for a long format, with hours or days or weeks between responses to questions.

Is it to persuade a third-party audience that they're wrong? This is a lot easier. The dumber they get, the better your chances. Don't be frustrated by this! If anything, you win when you sucker them into it.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-08-2013, 01:25 PM
It's one of those things.... A religious individual has to be curious about certain things in their religion before that journey into disbelief starts. Or some event that occurs in their mind that makes them think "God can't be real", such as the death of a family member in an unpleasant manner. Even then that can swing either way.... I've never really debated a religious person properly so I don't know for sure

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
29-08-2013, 01:32 PM
(29-08-2013 09:38 AM)Misenhelter Wrote:  Debating with these kind of people got my blood pumping and adrenaline going, mainly because they're so ignorant and arrogant at the same time it bothers me.
Why does it matter to you that these people are ignorant. Are you a teacher that forces people to be your students?
That's just being silly.
29-08-2013, 01:45 PM
(29-08-2013 10:21 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  The one statement that really floors me is "you need to have an open mind". Kind of hilarious and angering at the same time. Why is does not register as ridiculous when it comes out of thier mouths just baffles me.
Belief is the choice to close your mind to plausible alternatives.
29-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I think what annoys me the most is when you make a point and they don't address it. They completely ignore it and begin preaching.
This is brick wall television and you can't argue with the TV or a brick wall.

I would ask the following....
God has asked me to harm your family and destroy you financially. You ask god if this is true and he says YES.
Are you ok with god's plan ? Will you hold me responsible for doing what god has asked me to do ?
Are my actions moral ?

If you are ok with all of this, then I will begin by giving you the task that god gave to me. In this way, I can ensure that your family will be harmed and your finances destroyed because you trust god's commands completely and devoutly without question.

If you say that god wouldn't do such a thing, I would tell you to read the Book of Job.

I would also ask.....
Is your god the creator of evil ?

If you say no, then I'll ask you to read Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things"

You worship the self proclaimed creator of evil. Now say it out loud for other people to hear.
Say "I worship the creator of evil. The lord I worship is the creator of evil."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
29-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:I've never experienced Christ in my life.

Neither have they. That's why they are called delusions.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRhkxWn6XRobw_pGBubAR...sCk2VcOW4S]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post