Debating with Christians...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-08-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: Debating with Christians...
“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”
-Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:Honestly, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Disproving their theories is as easy as counting to 3, but it feels almost impossible to win. I recently got into a huge debate on Twitter with a bunch of teenage girls that are a part of a group called "Young Life" where basically it's church for high school students. Well I confronted a few of them about only being "Christian" about 2% of their life, well they fired back of course. I pointed out the flaws of their beliefs, they called me closed minded because I've never experienced Christ in my life. Instant response for me was bringing up other religions and the narrow vision they have towards every religion as a whole and ignorantly believe that their religion is the truth. At one point in the debate one of the girls said all things are possible through Christ, and that through Young Life a man with no legs climbed a mountain. (A man in a wheelchair attended the camp and was carried up the mountain by 3 people) I brought that up and said that humans did that and not Christ, she said "You weren't there, you know nothing about it" (it was on the news) and in which I replied with "You weren't there when the Bible was written or Christ was born, you know nothing about it" Of course she never replied. Debating with these kind of people got my blood pumping and adrenaline going, mainly because they're so ignorant and arrogant at the same time it bothers me. Which brings me to the question, what argument or statement bothers you the most that the religious use? Mine would be that believing in Christ is not a religion, but a relationship. That was their main focus on the whole debate.

As you describe it they were of course, young and naive and wrong to throw out reason. I admire their love for Jesus but not their unreasoned faith.

However, it sure seems like the atheists come off as if only Christians are capable of logical fallacies. Not so, not by a long shot. In other words, those young women need to learn how to better understand and defend Christianity, but atheists who assume they have the logical and intellectual high ground are patting themselves on the back prematurely in my experience.
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
(04-09-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Honestly, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Disproving their theories is as easy as counting to 3, but it feels almost impossible to win. I recently got into a huge debate on Twitter with a bunch of teenage girls that are a part of a group called "Young Life" where basically it's church for high school students. Well I confronted a few of them about only being "Christian" about 2% of their life, well they fired back of course. I pointed out the flaws of their beliefs, they called me closed minded because I've never experienced Christ in my life. Instant response for me was bringing up other religions and the narrow vision they have towards every religion as a whole and ignorantly believe that their religion is the truth. At one point in the debate one of the girls said all things are possible through Christ, and that through Young Life a man with no legs climbed a mountain. (A man in a wheelchair attended the camp and was carried up the mountain by 3 people) I brought that up and said that humans did that and not Christ, she said "You weren't there, you know nothing about it" (it was on the news) and in which I replied with "You weren't there when the Bible was written or Christ was born, you know nothing about it" Of course she never replied. Debating with these kind of people got my blood pumping and adrenaline going, mainly because they're so ignorant and arrogant at the same time it bothers me. Which brings me to the question, what argument or statement bothers you the most that the religious use? Mine would be that believing in Christ is not a religion, but a relationship. That was their main focus on the whole debate.

As you describe it they were of course, young and naive and wrong to throw out reason. I admire their love for Jesus but not their unreasoned faith.

However, it sure seems like the atheists come off as if only Christians are capable of logical fallacies. Not so, not by a long shot. In other words, those young women need to learn how to better understand and defend Christianity, but atheists who assume they have the logical and intellectual high ground are patting themselves on the back prematurely in my experience.

You have show you have about as strong a grasp on logic as 'Dr' William Lane Craig, which is to say, it's non-existent... Weeping

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]