Debbie Downer to Debbie Do-er :) (a personal post)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2012 01:02 PM by Hughsie.)
Debbie Downer to Debbie Do-er :) (a personal post)
Normally when I come to TTA I feel a sense of community, one-ness, freedom and like-minded unity for the most part.

Today is a total debbie downer here (at least for me). I was about to go off the handle in one particular thread and have been stewing a bit for the past few hours. I am choosing, very consciously, to keep my peace and place this here.

Some of these threads having me feel like this (not the stewing bit, but the downer bit) are threads that: basically say 90% of us are stupid (I'm assuming that means even here at TTA Sad ), that say what the terms are for warrant to be on any given ignore list , and that we suck at communicating and our whole society is doomed for despair (because at TTA forum, we suck at communicating).

I am not saying everyone here needs to like me, or everyone needs to like everyone else... but I can't help thinking after today that there is an unforgiving judgement going on here (sounds like CHURCH!) when, to be honest, I just come here for a good time. Sometimes that good time means connecting with others on a deeper level and sometimes that means coming here to goof off. It's a community. That we each CHOOSE to be a part of.

Maybe I am alone in feeling this today, so please allow me to have a moment (I've seen many here have that moment, so neener-neener).

But I just wanted to balance this negator-zilla vibe with a little positive.

Here are some HONEST and real thoughts about TTA, love me.

* I have made some friends here. I may not have ever said "You are my friend", but getting to know (quite a few) individuals here who I perceive to be a true representation of themselves in real life, I would hands down consider them a friend. I would try to be here for those people however I could that they needed during a rough patch in life or to celebrate something monumental going on. Thank you for taking time to develop this friendship with me.

* I laugh almost daily coming here. The off hand (and sometimes off colour) jokes make me happy and carry over into my real life. I share some of these jokes with others off this forum. I feel like I have an 'inside' to some ongoing funnies here, and that makes me feel viable to society and connected. It's a good feeling.

* I have learnt A LOT here. I am NOT one of the smartest people here. I don't want to say where I would place myself because there are members here who have openly and honestly admitted their humble background or thirst for knowledge they never acquired, who feel they are no match for the presumably all knowing that walk these threads- but they are just as viable and valuable in the story of the human race that we share together- as are you, as am I. My language is different than some, similar to others and I admire so much from TTA members. I have explored aspects of science, art, philosophy, theology and more and I have grown tremendously because of this forum. I am approaching being here one year soon, and I look forward to the places we will go here in the future. So far, I cannot see myself leaving soon. (On that note, if I do irk you, sucks to be you Tongue )

My mother is a very good professional teacher and she has instilled something in me that I am glad to know. Here in the human race we have many different types of intelligence. Some are in the form of science, math or other tangible bits of information. Some are in the form of art, language, design, environment. Others are compassion, empathy and willingness. I see a beautiful spectrum here on TTA, and want to highlight that.

I did NOT post this to single any one out in a negative way, this mostly came from a general feeling and I just wanted to share as close as I can how I feel about here and how it reflects in my own life.

Read, don't read, ignore after reading, post your own thoughts about TTA or whatever. But, thank you for letting me do my own... vent? or moment, or whatever Smile

(PS, I also have been wanting to say that I secretly love the size of this forum, at least the active members. I have been on smaller forums that are too slow moving and larger forums where I'm lost in the dust and nobody gets to know each other. As much as I wish TTA luck in continuing to grow and I like fresh faces- really I do- I appreciate the intimacy of the size here. )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like LadyJane's post
01-03-2012, 11:30 PM
RE: Debbie Downer to Debbie Do-er :) (a personal post)
I made a comment on the 90% of people being under 50. This is an ignorant statement in the first place.

The people that say things like that are probably just venting about the life outside the forum around them, but you'd have to ask. I still think it's a rather ignorant statement to make even in that case.

Hope you feel better soon

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
01-03-2012, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 11:36 PM by Erxomai.)
Someone needs a Three Amigos Salute!!!!

[Image: tresamigos.gif]
(01-03-2012 11:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am approaching being here one year soon, and I look forward to the places we will go here in the future. So far, I cannot see myself leaving soon. (On that note, if I do irk you, sucks to be you Tongue )

[Image: dr-seuss-theodore-geisel-oh-the-places-you-ll-go.jpg]

Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Thank you craniumonempty. Honestly, I wanted to illustrate where I was coming from tonight, but mostly how great TTA really is. I was a part of those conversations too, and there are things I agree with... but I felt the need to just put a couple of compliments out there. Smile

Erxomai- I should have bet money you were going to post a gif. Smile I'd be so dang rich if I did that all the time. Made me smile Smile
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
(01-03-2012 11:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thank you craniumonempty. Honestly, I wanted to illustrate where I was coming from tonight, but mostly how great TTA really is. I was a part of those conversations too, and there are things I agree with... but I felt the need to just put a couple of compliments out there. Smile

Erxomai- I should have bet money you were going to post a gif. Smile I'd be so dang rich if I did that all the time. Made me smile Smile

It was that or accuse the forum of having a spirit of dissension sent by Satan to create schism in our special community.

Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-03-2012, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 11:54 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Woo intimacy!!!!!

I've been busy today so I only saw a bit of the daily attitude. Last week was really an angry week for me here. Everything I saw seemed so aggressive. The trends to popular threads change so often that you should never expect something to keep going. I learn a lot here, and it keeps me informed with the current news to a large extent. This is now where I go to discuss deep topics because I don't want to hear the christian answers, or the fact that I'm wrong because my opinion isn't the other person's >.>

I agree that right now it seems to be pretty focused on we're smart and anti-social how can we be so perfect that the world isn't good enough. But there's a lot of guys here and guys say that a lot =p

I've yet to see a good long anti male trend. I try, you all know I try, but it never seems to catch on Q_Q

At least sometimes I convince everyone to talk about cats. I've only been here a few years, so I'm still a newby too Jane, but I know there's plenty of people here who are being very honest. And I very much appreciate that fact. I give things here that I don't give elsewhere currently and I'm not the only one.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
(01-03-2012 11:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... when, to be honest, I just come here for a good time.

That's why I'm here.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
My new hero. Sorry everyone else.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
(01-03-2012 11:50 PM)lucradis Wrote:  My new hero. Sorry everyone else.

Eh, I'm ok. I knew your admiration of me wasn't going to last long.

~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
02-03-2012, 12:00 AM
(01-03-2012 11:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 11:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... when, to be honest, I just come here for a good time.

That's why I'm here.

Me three

Don't feel bad, LJ. Heart

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post