Debunking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Debunking?
I was wondering something. What is the point of debunking religions?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 06:55 PM
RE: Debunking?
Well thats a tricky one but at the same time a valid question I must admit, I will give you MY point of view; religions, doctrines, faith, doctrines, etc, from my perspective are based on lies and superstitions, it is part of human nature, create, erradicate, re-create, forget and remember old and new dieties, in my opinion, believing in something with no proof is for me a way to lie to ourselves. For example judeo-christianism religions teach us that we dont have any control over our lives, we must kneel before a supreme diety or suffer eternal damnation, the people then live in constant guilt and fear, fundamentalism is born, zealots trying to impose their beliefs over the rest of the people, discrimination, segregation, hatred, etc. The point of debunking religions to me, is to get rid of fear and superstition, fear of being punished if we dare to think by ourselves, fear of going to a dark place if we dont think like the rest of the herd. Thats my personal point of view ladies and gentlemen. Peace

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Well said^

Why debunk religions? Religion teaches people to be okay with not understanding the universe
that we live in. It encourages people to accept ONE answer rather than expand their knowledge,
discover, and explore the world we live in. Religion teaches you to stop learning.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
14-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Because we atheists care and want others to be as happy and free as we are. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Religion stands in the way of knowledge, progress, peace, freedom and truth, to name a few. Religion demands blind faith which is a fertile ground for prejudices and hatred to be programmed into people by unscrupulous leaders.
15-10-2010, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2010 02:40 AM by Kikko.)
Well wouldn't it be sad if nobody had debunked religion? When you start questioning your beliefs and go to internet to find out if your religion is wrong about something, but you can't find anything, even thought your religion is false, so you come to the false conclusion that your religion can't be debunked and it's the truth.
And it's kinda invenitable to debunk religious beliefs indirectly by scientific progress.
So many people believe in some religion, so by debunking them their falseness can be shown.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-10-2010, 04:39 AM

dictionary.com says "debunk" is a verb meaning to expose or excoriate (a claim, assertion, sentiment, etc.) as being pretentious, false, or exaggerated.

My preference is not to excoriate (a verb meaning to denounce or berate severely; flay verbally), but rather is to expose the lies, the contradictions, the myths, and the historical truth about religions. A denouncing or a berating usually results in the cessation of civil discourse. I have no wish to humiliate anyone for their beliefs, but I'm not the least bit hesitant to expose the hypocrisy, lies, and irrationality of those religious beliefs.

Atheists vary in the degree of aggressiveness with which they deal with theists. I'm of a mind to live and let live when it comes to individuals, insofar as they're willing to reciprocate, but if they push their beliefs on me or denounce my atheism, I'm happy to return the favor with counterarguments against their faith.

And I'm more than willing to take an aggressive stance regarding the encroachment of religious beliefs into the public sector - I'm strongly in favor of a rigid separation of church and state, including freedom from religion in my life. Debunking along these general lines via various public media (including here, of course) accomplishes several useful things:

1. It exposes those beliefs for what they truly are, for all participants to see (if they choose to open their eyes)
2. It helps rational people to learn about and understand the arguments for and against theism
3. It helps isolated atheists know that there are others who are of like mind and reject theism
4. It can serve as a point of departure for atheists to interact with theists (like Barley)
5. It can catalyze efforts to prevent the intrusion of religion into public life

I consider debunking (without the excoriation) to be a very worthwhile exercise. If religions were less inclined to push their program on us all, then pushing back might be correspondingly less important. But the fact is that religions (in general) are notably intolerant - of other religions, or of anyone not professing faith in their particular belief system. And I won't tolerate their intolerance without responding.
Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2010, 08:25 AM
(14-10-2010 05:55 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I was wondering something. What is the point of debunking religions?

Difficult to answer. What's the point of debunking anything that is obviously false? What's the point of debunking 9/11 conspiracy theories? Bigfoot believers? Claims of psychic powers?

There's no real, one-size-fits-all answer. For most, it's simply that we don't like to see people trying to support irrational beliefs by pretending that they have a rational basis. I, for one, don't care if you believe, so long as you don't try and pretend that your belief is rational, and I will point out why your reasons for believing are irrational because of this. Others may have other answers.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I actually do care if others believe demonstrably wrong things. I wouldn't care if we lived in a dictatorship with an atheist king, but since we live in a democracy where even members of the Westboro baptists get to vote, it matters to me very much what other people believe.
15-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I've no interest in debunking religion. None of my business what people chose to believe. However, when people's fantasies and mythology start to influence public policy and international relations, then I think you've got a problem and that I will stand up and fight against. If the means of doing that is to show these so-called religions for the fallacies that they are, then so be it.

In other words, keep your beliefs to yourself and on one gets hurt.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost