Debunking Christianity - topical book list

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 06:41 AM by Learner.)
Debunking Christianity - topical book list
Hello, all. I'm working on creating a book list on various topics debunking claims (directly or indirectly) of Christianity and fundamentalism. Specifically, I'm looking for 1-2 books per topic, and my requirements are that the books be quality, from a respected author, popular-level, hopefully not longer than 300 pages in length...in other words, a solid basic introduction to each subject. My goal is to provide this list to at least one Christian friend of mine who's interested in studying these sorts of topics. Any input on my list below would be much appreciated!

(1) Evolution - "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne (with supplemental resource of the Talk Origins website)

(2) Noah's Flood - ??, (probably just recommend some articles on Talk Origins website)

(3) Messianic prophecies - ??, (with supplemental resource of a youtube series by a Rabbi Michael Skobac)

(4) Documentary Hypothesis - "Who Wrote the Bible?" by Richard Elliot Friedman

(5) Archaeology - "The Bible Unearthed" by Neil Silberman and Israel Finkelstein

(6) Historical Jesus - "On the Historicity of Jesus" by Richard Carrier; "The Historical Figure of Jesus" by EP Sanders

(7) Authorship of New Testament writings - "Forged" by Bart Ehrman

(8) Canon formation - "Lost Christianities" by Ehrman??

(9) Resurrection story - ?? (with supplemental resource of Ehrman-Craig debate)

(10) Bible overview - "The Bible" by Bart Ehrman

(11) Various Bible contradictions - "Jesus Interrupted" by Bart Ehrman

(12) Critique of arguments for the existence of God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 07:57 AM by Aliza.)
RE: Debunking Christianity - topical book list
I think Mark Fulton's writings should interest you.... The stuff that he's posted here passed my own personal litmus test with flying colors.

There are Jewish resources dedicated to debunking Christianity... many of them of them are free for the taking and also have the option to buy printed books. Try jewsforjudaism.ca, outreachjudaism.org and simpletoremember.com for articles and free audio lectures on why Jesus isn't accepted as the Jewish messiah. These sites should address (at least the Jewish perspective) messianic prophesies, historical Jesus, authorship of the NT writings, the resurrection story, and bible contradictions with regard to the NT.

For a lot of people trying to leave Christianity, they first convince themselves that the NT is false, then they realize that acceptance of the OT isn't even necessary to live a productive and happy life.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
24-08-2015, 07:39 AM
For number two, Bill Nye's Undeniable was a good read. The debate between Nye and Ham was also a good one debunking Noah's Ark. There is also a documentary I watched awhile back that discusses zero evidence for worldwide flood from a scientific perspective and also discusses where the story came from. I will find it for you and post it.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 07:42 AM
For number 12, The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos.
24-08-2015, 07:51 AM
(24-08-2015 05:53 AM)Learner Wrote:  Hello, all. I'm working on creating a book list on various topics debunking claims (directly or indirectly) of Christianity and fundamentalism. Specifically, I'm looking for 1-2 books per topic, and my requirements are that the books be quality, from a respected author, popular-level, hopefully not longer than 300 pages in length...in other words, a solid basic introduction to each subject. My goal is to provide this list to at least one Christian friend of mine who's interested in studying these sorts of topics. Any input on my list below would be much appreciated!

(1) Evolution - "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne (with supplemental resource of the Talk Origins website)

(2) Noah's Flood - ??, (probably just recommend some articles on Talk Origins website)

(3) Messianic prophecies - ??, (with supplemental resource of a youtube series by a Rabbi Michael Skobac)

(4) Documentary Hypothesis - "Who Wrote the Bible?" by Richard Elliot Friedman

(5) Archaeology - "The Bible Unearthed" by Neil Silberman and Israel Finkelstein

(6) Historical Jesus - "On the Historicity of Jesus" by Richard Carrier; "The Historical Figure of Jesus" by EP Sanders

(7) Authorship of New Testament writings - "Forged" by Bart Ehrman

(8) Canon formation - "Lost Christianities" by Ehrman??

(9) Resurrection story - ?? (with supplemental resource of Ehrman-Craig debate)

(10) Bible overview - "The Bible" by Bart Ehrman

(11) Various Bible contradictions - "Jesus Interrupted" by Bart Ehrman

(12) Critique of arguments for the existence of God

You forgot the most important book of all, the bible itself. Read that first, then something like An over view of the bible. The bloody thing slanders and contradicts itself so often it is all you really need.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-08-2015, 07:51 AM
(24-08-2015 07:33 AM)Aliza Wrote:  There are Jewish resources dedicated to debunking Christianity... many of them of them are free for the taking and also have the option to buy printed books. Try jewsforjudaism.ca, outreachjudaism.org and simpletoremember.com for articles and free audio lectures on why Jesus isn't accepted as the Jewish messiah. These sites should address (at least the Jewish perspective) of the messianic prophesies, historical Jesus, authorship of the NT writings, the resurrection story, and bible contradictions with regard to the NT.
I couldn't agree with you more. I watched the entire series from Rabbi Skobac with Jews for Judaism debunking "messianic prophecies" and found it extremely logical, insightful and helpful. That was a milestone in my path away from Christianity because I always had an uneasy feeling about how Christians essentially "spiritualize" everything, ripping things out of context - his teaching gave me the courage to look at Christianity's teachings and say "Bologna!!" I feel like I learned a healthy dose of interpretation and skepticism from him! I definitely have a high respect and appreciation for Jews.
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
24-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Number 9- I'm reading it now, but so far it seems like it would fit this section-
How Jesus Became God by Ehrman.
24-08-2015, 07:53 AM
(24-08-2015 07:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  For number two, Bill Nye's Undeniable was a good read. The debate between Nye and Ham was also a good one debunking Noah's Ark. There is also a documentary I watched awhile back that discusses zero evidence for worldwide flood from a scientific perspective and also discusses where the story came from. I will find it for you and post it.
Good to hear your recommendation of Nye's new book. Oh yes, and the Nye-Ham debate...that was outstanding. I'll add that to the list.

Would enjoy adding that documentary about the Flood to my list, too, if you can find it.
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
24-08-2015, 07:55 AM
(24-08-2015 07:42 AM)jennybee Wrote:  For number 12, The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos.

That looks like a great flying overview!
24-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Number 11--Skeptics Annotated Bible by Wells