Debunking Christianity - topical book list

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: Debunking Christianity - topical book list
(24-08-2015 07:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Number 9- I'm reading it now, but so far it seems like it would fit this section-
How Jesus Became God by Ehrman.

Thanks. I knew I remembered reading Ehrman on the resurrection somewhere in addition to just hearing him in the debate with William Lane Craig. Good one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 08:00 AM
For number 3, any legitimate scholarly Bible commentary will do. The one I have is the IVP Bible Commentary by Walton--who is a Christian. However, he is a bible scholar and the commentary is from a scholarly point of view with no woo. The commentary discusses things from a cultural standpoint--why they did the things they did--including prophecies. Looking for prophecies was not just a Bible thing. Other nearby cultures were doing it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
24-08-2015, 08:13 AM
(24-08-2015 07:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You forgot the most important book of all, the bible itself. Read that first, then something like An over view of the bible. The bloody thing slanders and contradicts itself so often it is all you really need.

Yeah, but...

(24-08-2015 05:53 AM)Learner Wrote:  my requirements are that the books be quality, from a respected author, popular-level, hopefully not longer than 300 pages in length

The Bible fails every standard listed.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-08-2015, 08:22 AM
(24-08-2015 08:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 07:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You forgot the most important book of all, the bible itself. Read that first, then something like An over view of the bible. The bloody thing slanders and contradicts itself so often it is all you really need.

Yeah, but...

(24-08-2015 05:53 AM)Learner Wrote:  my requirements are that the books be quality, from a respected author, popular-level, hopefully not longer than 300 pages in length

Don't I know it. I read the thing for years in order to debunk it.

Nevertheless, it is where one should begin.

Actually for me it was Voltaire. He got me to read the bible. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-08-2015, 08:37 AM
(24-08-2015 08:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 08:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Yeah, but...

Don't I know it. I read the thing for years in order to debunk it.

Nevertheless, it is where one should begin.

Actually for me it was Voltaire. He got me to read the bible. Smile

I definitely agree--in order to discuss the Bible--you need to read it. However, I think a supplemental reading guide is helpful because there are so many cultural nuances and historical references n the Bible, which, if understood, can make the passages easier to understand--and put them in their correct context. If a Christian just reads the Bible and has no knowledge of anthropology or the mindset of the time--it is much easier for the religious powers that be to tell Christians the pastoral "interpretations" of what the passages mean. And without any other kind of leg to stand on--many Christians will believe them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
24-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Noah's Flood documentary

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Just FYI, your current listing for #6, the one by Carrier, while mesmerizing, is far beyond an introduction. It seems to be a pretty exhaustive evaluation of the known evidences and arguments for and against the historical existence of Jesus. Not that it is a bad book, just that I am not sure it would meet the criteria you provided. Sorry, I do not have an alternative for you as I am still slogging my way through this one. Tongue

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
24-08-2015, 08:41 AM
This article by Carrier is a good one to show Jesus was not unique.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 08:43 AM
(24-08-2015 08:40 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Just FYI, your current listing for #6, the one by Carrier, while mesmerizing, is far beyond an introduction. It seems to be a pretty exhaustive evaluation of the known evidences and arguments for and against the historical existence of Jesus. Not that it is a bad book, just that I am not sure it would meet the criteria you provided. Sorry, I do not have an alternative for you as I am still slogging my way through this one. Tongue

Right, and that was my dilemma...wanting to present two different sides of the question: "was there a historical Jesus?" I'm curious see if knows of a shorter intro book from the Mythicist side. Smile
24-08-2015, 08:46 AM
(24-08-2015 07:55 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 07:42 AM)jennybee Wrote:  For number 12, The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos.

That looks like a great flying overview!

It is--but he also discusses several of his debates with Christians and why their arguments don't work. Additionally, he has a q and a section about common Christian arguments.