Debunking Christianity - topical book list

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: Debunking Christianity - topical book list
(24-08-2015 08:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Noah's Flood documentary

Thanks for this! I'm amazed how there are several quality (and an infinity of worthless) videos on YouTube...I've seen plenty of good BBC materials. One I haven't watched yet is a BBC program I heard Jerry Coyne refer to in an interview with Matt Dillahunty called the "Conspiracy Road Trip," specifically the episode on creationism:

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...ther-lolz/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
24-08-2015, 08:52 AM
(24-08-2015 08:51 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 08:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Noah's Flood documentary

Thanks for this! I'm amazed how there are several quality (and an infinity of worthless) videos on YouTube...I've seen plenty of good BBC materials. One I haven't watched yet is a BBC program I heard Jerry Coyne refer to in an interview with Matt Dillahunty called the "Conspiracy Road Trip," specifically the episode on creationism:

Thanks, I'll check that out Smile
24-08-2015, 08:53 AM
(24-08-2015 08:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 08:51 AM)Learner Wrote:  Thanks for this! I'm amazed how there are several quality (and an infinity of worthless) videos on YouTube...I've seen plenty of good BBC materials. One I haven't watched yet is a BBC program I heard Jerry Coyne refer to in an interview with Matt Dillahunty called the "Conspiracy Road Trip," specifically the episode on creationism:

Thanks, I'll check that out Smile

Coyne was actually a part of that program, so that's why he brought it up. He said the best part was when the creationists got to see a bunch of human transitionary fossils, and he said he thought they were noticeably blown away and didn't really know what to think.
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
24-08-2015, 08:53 AM
BTW-I think the list you are compiling would also make a really good resource thread for new members who are questioning Christianity that come to TTA (if they don't already have one etc.)
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 11:04 AM
(24-08-2015 08:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 07:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You forgot the most important book of all, the bible itself. Read that first, then something like An over view of the bible. The bloody thing slanders and contradicts itself so often it is all you really need.

Yeah, but...

(24-08-2015 05:53 AM)Learner Wrote:  my requirements are that the books be quality, from a respected author, popular-level, hopefully not longer than 300 pages in length

The Bible fails every standard listed.

I would make the argument for Banjo's case that one can debunk the entire NT using the KJV version of the OT, mistranslations and all. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-08-2015, 11:24 AM
(24-08-2015 11:04 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 08:13 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Yeah, but...

The Bible fails every standard listed.

I would make the argument for Banjo's case that one can debunk the entire NT using the KJV version of the OT, mistranslations and all. Smile

I would agree Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Here are some that I found helpful to ME...purely subjective I know, but may still help others:

1.) How We Believe - Michael Shermer
2.) Deconstructing Jesus - Robert M. Price
3.) Faith vs. Fact - Jerry Coyne
4.) On the Historicity of Jesus - Richard Carrier
5.) The Formation of Christian Dogma - Martin Werner

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
25-08-2015, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 07:33 PM by cactus.)
(24-08-2015 08:51 AM)Learner Wrote:  I've seen plenty of good BBC materials. One I haven't watched yet is a BBC program I heard Jerry Coyne refer to in an interview with Matt Dillahunty called the "Conspiracy Road Trip," specifically the episode on creationism:

I love the quote from the Muslim guy near the end about how he thinks science should be conducted. "I think science should be indisputable." rofl Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

There was one lady on there who seemed to be the least conservative with her beliefs (accepting of at least "guided evolution", pro-choice on abortion issues, pro same-sex marriage, totally okay with her son being gay, and a follower of the teachings of Jesus without attending church).

Again, I'm reminded of the saying "You don't change people's minds through evidence. You change their minds through relationships." That's why I wasn't surprised that for the more fundamentalist people in that group, not only were they not even remotely interested in hearing the evidence, but they also isolated themselves from the rest of the group. The scientific experts were not there to be their friends. They were there to present them with cold, hard, empirical evidence in a way that may seem "authoritative" to someone who's not conditioned to thinking skeptically, and a lot of people just aren't receptive to that, at least not until you first grab them right in the sensitive parts of their feels and knock them "to their senses" (literally).

That's why I think stuff like the "Cosmos" series and the "Your Inner Fish" documentaries are so important. They teach scientifically demonstrable concepts in a very emotionally engaging and human narrative-centric way.

I'd also recommend Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God" (the audiobook or video recording) for anyone who's already started questioning their faith.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
25-08-2015, 07:44 PM
A really interesting book to read is "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Friedman. It all makes sense after reading his book. It explains so much.

"The Bible Unearthed " by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Silberman

It's fascinating to read those two books together.....very slowly.

Also read about the Nicene First Council and the politics of cobbling together the New Testament. I'm still searching for a good book on this subject.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post